Flea Problem

edited May 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
It's been a month and a half since I got my first dog, Takumi, a 6 month old shiba inu. I applied frontline on him 2 times since I got him. But the fleas keep on coming back on him over and over. I use special comb-like brush to remove fleas manually every day. I can catch at least 5-10 fleas from him every day. I also concerned about unnecessarily removing his soft hair by combing all over his body every day. Does everyone who owns a dog face this kind of problem?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Thats kind of odd. Frontline should do the trick. You are using frontline monthly right? Maybe you should try another brand like K9 Advantix or Advantage. I've never heard of a flea problem when a dog was on flea preventative.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, Romi!

Yes, I do use frontline monthly. I used Frontline last two times and I have purchased what they call 'Frontline Plus'. Should I put this on him, even though it's been only a week since I put frontline on him last time?
  • edited November -1
    To protect against any nasty side affects for your dog - talk to your vet about the frequency of using the product.

Also, there was a study not too long ago about fleas in different areas of the US and how sometimes Frontline (or Advantix, Advantage, Sentinel) doesn't control the fleas on your dog because the fleas are immuned to the product - so maybe talk to your vet about switching to Advantage or something other than Frontline when he is due for his next flea treatment. The vets in our area push Frontline because it controls the Pennsylvania fleas better than other products.
    If I can find the link to the study, I'll post it...
  • edited November -1
    Thanks.
    I live in Miami, FL. The first time when I took Takumi to the vet, they applied Frontline on him. I asked some dog owners in my neighborhood about it, They all seem to use Frontline and not to have too much problem about fleas. So I guess Frontline should work fine in my area. It might be only Takumi's problem..... I will ask my vet.
  • edited November -1
    have you heard of comfortis? i use frontline, but my vet mentioned she was getting good results with other dogs that had a bad problem with fleas. however, i've read some dogs have had adverse affects. in any case, i would ask your vet of his/her opinion of the product.
  • edited November -1
    Where exactly are you putting the frontline? It should be between their shoulder blades so they can't lick the stuff off. Also, how much does your dog weigh and what dosage did you get for Takumi?
This discussion has been closed.