Our Progress with Kitsune & Behaviorist

We have seen our behaviorist 3 times now and I am still seeing tremendous results with Kitsune and US as leaders and caretakers of him.

One of the biggest things I've noticed is the lack of frustration in my dog. He seems "lighter" and happier these days. He has a relaxed look on him and he is less physically tense in situations and interactions.
See?
Photobucket

We have also learned to watch for his submissive body language and watch for Tsuki's dominant body language. I can't believe I missed it all before! Its so easy to catch!
We have learned that Kitsune is not alpha but seeks interactions with the alpha, whether it be Tsuki or any other dog that subliminally challenges Tsuki. We are now able to see this need for interaction and if it is not a play invitation or a positive interaction, we have to put pressure into his space, creating a boundary to prevent any sort of aggression (food possession that can turn aggression). It really works, I think he respects us more for it. I really believe that the communication boundary is slowly being lifted and everything he is trying to tell us is slowly being understood and that makes him more comfortable all around.

I took this video last night. The dogs were enjoying raw meaty bones, usually we have to keep them either at seperate parts of the room or gate a room off between them so Tsuki doesn't claim both and Kitsune doesn't react. BUT putting pressure in Tsuki's space made her less "mine" and that relaxed Kitsune enough where they moved next to each other to enjoy their bones! FIRST TIME EVER! I was so excited, I filmed it!

That is all! Happy holiday weekend!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's great! It is always rewarding to see progress when dealing with a behavioral / temperament problem with a dog.

Congrats!

PS: That video is cute. :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    That is great to hear! :) I'm glad that Kitsune is feeling much more at ease now. Its good that you ended up going with that behaviorist. Sounds like hes really helped out a lot.
  • edited November -1
    Agreed. Nice job!

For the pedagogical benefit of everyone, what do you mean by "putting pressure in his space"?
  • edited May 2008
    Pressuring space is about exactly how close you need to get to another animal to begin to influence its behavior. Its sort of like body blocking, or what some people would even call body blocking.. I am calling it pressure in their space because my behaviorist does and because I use a 'body block' with Kitsune in a public situation between him and a person/object when he gets anxious and I think they are different methods of similar movements.
    Pressure in their space: It's making a slight forward movement into the space they were about to occupy to either get something they shouldn't have or do something you don't want them to do. The behaviorist uses it as an advanced method of "sit-stay" if they break that command he enters their space to get them back into a 'sit-stay' even if it something they really want like chicken pieces or something. He feels its more effective than words.

the most important part of reclaiming space, or putting pressure in their space, is to release your movement as soon as the dog understands why you did it and what you want of them, so it is non threatening. It is supposed to be used only as a non verbal communication without using your arms, just torso, to reclaim your space. I'm sure you can use your arms, I use my arms at the dog park when someone comes to the gate and Tsuki runs to the gate to greet them - I stand in her path with arms out like a crossing guard and say "stop". Without arms, you have to watch how much you move your body forward and their body language in response to yours. I think I would only feel comfortable as a beginner doing this to a dog that I know and and that knows me.

For example, last night we distributed the raw meaty bones - one to Tsuki first, then Kitsune. Kitsune usually settles in the kitchen right where he gets his bone while Tsuki runs into the living room. She drops her bone off and goes back for Kitsune's. As soon as I saw her intention, I put pressure on her space - by leaning - until she stopped moving forward than released my movement. She tried it again, I pressured again, she stopped, I released. She then went back to attend to her bone. With her bone in her mouth, she moved closer to the kitchen so I let her. Kitsune moved closer to her, I think knowing that I was keeping her in check and then I took the video. Harmony.

I'm probably not very good at explaining it, I apologize! but this is how I understand it and how my dogs respond to it ..
  • edited November -1
    That video was so cool. Congratulations on the great progress that you are ALL making. Your behaviorist sounds good. How did you find him?
  • edited November -1
    Very good news about your progress! Great to read about it!
  • edited November -1
    This is really good news! Glad things are working out.
  • edited November -1
    We took our veterinarian's recommedation for a behaviorist when we explained Kitsune's issues after the bite incident. When we called though, we got the most outlandish speech from his assistant about how this guy was the tri-state area's gift to canines and on and on.. it was kind of hyped up crap. So I asked her to just pass my name and number along to any shiba/akita/spitz dogs he had worked with recently. Two people called me with the same weird hyped up info but some good info on what he did for their dog. Then a cop called me to tell me about how this guy trained his K9 unit and that of most the surrounding areas and his story really hit home for me. So I called back to schedule the evaluation..

It was really difficult to decide to do this or not because I didn't want to further damage my dog by hiring the wrong or unqualified person. We really tried to do our homework finding the right behaviorist and lucked out I guess! After a phone conversation with him after the evaluation I felt more comfortable and assured that he would get us to a good place with Kitsune and we've had two sessions since! I'm so glad I decided to trust my gut and go through with it!
  • edited November -1
    You're a great mom Tsukitsune!
This discussion has been closed.