Lundehund and other interesting breeds

edited May 2008 in Other Breeds
Ok, this Lundehund has a great range of motion in its joints, allowing it to fit into narrow passages. The head can be bent backwards along the dog's own spine, and the forelegs can turn to the side at a 90-degree angle to its body, much like human arms. Its pricked, upright ears can be sealed nearly shut by folding them forward or backward.The Norwegian Lundehund is polydactyl & instead of the normal four toes a foot, the Lundehund has six toes. Its double dew claws apparently act as an opposable thumb would!
Am I the only one who is freaked out somewhat by a dog that can hand me my morning coffee?
Apparently these mutant traits make them excellent Puffin hunters!
http://dogbreedinfo.com/lundehund.htm

Are there any other "mutant" dogs out there with unusual talents?

Comments

• edited May 2008
    The Lundehund is a very interesting breed indeed. And hunting puffins is what got them those traits. Their feet allow them to be all terrain dogs.
    Pop quiz on useless trivia factoids: What is the only other quadruped than can get their arms out 90degrees, making its chest tough the ground?
  • edited November -1
    For mutant dogs, I remember what I mentioned on the primitive thread about the Chow Chow, they have two extra bones on the sides of their heads and an average body temperature that is higher than all the other breeds by about 1 degree Celsius.

More "useless" facts?

- The average Mastiff can knock a grown man down with one paw and can break a leg with one bite!
    - Neapolitan Mastiffs supposedly fought and won against elephants!!!
    - A female Anatolian lived to see her 28th or 29th birthday (can't remember exactly)
    - Border Collies are said to hypnotise sheep with their stare.

More will follow as I remember them.
  • edited November -1
    Crazy!
  • edited November -1
    Rui, as Brandon pointed out, your knowledge of breed is pretty amazing!

The mastiff thing just makes me want a TM more! lol!

----
  • edited November -1
    Brad - It's only a bunch of loose factoids that stuck to my sometimes strange memory, heheh. Take into consideration the Mastiff I meant was the English Mastiff, I always leave the English behind.
  • edited November -1
    I figured that is what you meant - they are freaking huge!

----
  • edited November -1
    Another factoid I remembered : While, on average, Irish Wolfhounds are the tallest breed, the tallest dog ever measured at a show was a Great Dane, that was 1,06metres to the withers. Supposing this was a dog that complied to the standard I calculated the total height of this particular dog to be about 1,48metres, if I remember it correctly! That's 4'10"!!
  • edited November -1
    I shit you not, a Great Dane came into the shelter that was the size of a small horse. Biggest dog I have ever seen and I have met more than a few Irish Wolfhounds. Luckily rescue took him in, as he could not get through the dog doors that allow the dogs to have two kennel spaces (one for sitting in, and one for bathroom if need be).
  • edited November -1
    Side note - We have learned that our dogs don't do well with Great Danes... Ahi had been socialized with them pretty often, but now she wants to kill everyone she sees - same applies to Loa and Kona and they were never socialized with them. It's kinda odd, like some ancient primitive thing.

----
  • edited November -1
    To continue with the Great Dane theme, supposedly a female called Barine once left the side of her owners during their sleep, only to come down and slit the throat of a burglar that had broken into their house. She did this without waking them up, and they only found it out the next morning. Creepy...
  • edited November -1
    How does a dog slit a throat?
  • edited November -1
    Sorry, probably got lost in translation. I mean she bit his throat open...and then just headed on back to the side of her owners.
  • edited November -1
    wow... that's kinda creepy.
  • edited November -1
    I'm unsettled...
    Moto HATES bull terriers
    Piglet hates yellow labs and goldens
    Miko like everyone, but terrorizes pugs
  • edited November -1
    I guess I'd use the phrase "tore his throat out". Although I was highly impressed by a Great Dane with knife skills.
  • edited November -1
    To brighten things up a bit. At a dog show we went to last December, there was a demonstration of parachute troops' army dogs. Along with the "basic" GSD, they too an AmStaff (to teach people that th eso called potentially dangerous can be great at training) and a small female mix of Portuguese Pointer. The little female was trained to pin down a man, while using a muzzle. It was impressive!!! She would hit crotch with her head, to take the man down and then hit the throat and crotch with head and feet. This was a dog that couldn't weigh more that 16/18 Kg!!
  • edited November -1
    Brandon - LOL, knife skills! Don't forget that,while my English is decent, I still think mainly in Portuguese...
  • edited November -1
    Your English is great, far better than my Portuguese. I was only trying to be helpful by sharing how I might have put it, not trying to comment on your English.
  • edited November -1
    cool facts! must be hard to remember them all
  • edited November -1
    I remembered I never gave the answer to that quadruped question.
    The only other quadruped (other than the Lundehund) that can get its arms out to the sides and touch the ground with its chest is the reindeer.
  • edited November -1
    Rui - very interesting! I wonder why they can do that.

As for freak dogs, my Skella (and most Iceland Sheepdogs) has double dewclaws on her hind legs so that she can search for lost sheep in the rugged Icelandic terrain.
  • edited November -1
    Lol! 'freak dogs'.. Heidi - thats pretty cool - can you take a picture of it?
  • edited November -1
    A few more facts that popped in my mind:

The Dalmatian was known, for a while, as Little Dane, because the breed was thought to be related to the Great Dane, the harlequin variety. Genetic research has found that the black patches on the Great Dane are caused by a different gene tan the one that is responsible for the Dalmatian's spots.

The Great Dane isn't a Dane at all. After some discussion between Denmark and Germany, Germany got the origin of the breed. The actual "Great Dane" is the Broholmer (which might be one of the rarest breeds), and the Great Dane is the Deutsche Dogge.
  • edited November -1
    These are directly from the Lundehund Club website;

Double dew claws:

Flexibility:
  • edited November -1
    Now that's pretty freaky. Don't try this at home (LOL).

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I am a little weirded out by the Lundehund. And yet I kinda want one...
  • edited November -1
    Sadly, all Lundehunds are susceptible to Lundehund Syndrome, which is why their lifespan is unpredictable. The coolest dogs usually have the most health problems. :(
  • edited November -1
    There's a Lundehund breeder in Florida
    http://www.breeders.net/detail.php?id=137386