Grain to grain free

edited May 2008 in General
How long would you give a grain to grain free transition before expecting the body to get used to the change? Switched the cats to grain free in the beginning of February and they still are having problems with it. Had them checked by the vet and they're all healthy besides not taking the grain free very well. Tried Evo and Taste of the Wild. I'm at the point where I rather them be on grains than have upset stomachs. Would try Origen but it's not quite in our budget right now. Any suggestions? I know grain free is better for them but at the same time, constant upset stomachs aren't better for anyone.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I have a friend who tried grain free with her cats and it just didn't work out. Well, one of three did fine. The other ones just kept running into issues. She switched them back to California Natural and the problems have gone away. Looking at it from a technical aspect, yes grain free should be better, but if the cats don't do well on it, then they don't do well on it. You may have cats that accept foods with grain better, so that is what you should feed them (as long as it is a high quality food with grain).

My cats transitioned to grain free very easily, so I would not continue to try and force it.
  • edited May 2008
    Brandon you basically just confirmed what I was thinking. Now I gotta shop for a high quality grain lol. Probably will go with Felidae, Dahmer did well on it as a kitten.

Do you think I waited too long with 3 months and 2 different brands? Or did I not wait long enough?
  • edited November -1
    I would say that you gave it a long enough try.

Companies that make good foods for cats (most of these companies have grain and grain free):

Wellness
    Fromm's
    Solid Gold
    California Natural
    Innova
    Nature's Variety
  • edited November -1
    I don't know much about cats, but from what I've learned about food and digestion due to Lucy I'd say 3 months was a good trial period. That's about the length of time that acquired allergies take to develop. If they haven't overcome the tummy upsets by now, its probably worth a change.
  • edited November -1
    When it comes to transitioning to grain free, I always tell people to fast their animals. A day without food cleans out the pipes and prepares the body to cleanse out all the impurities. I also recommend a periodic fast once a month. But that me and my dogs.
  • edited November -1
    how do your dogs handle the fast?
  • edited November -1
    never have an issue. I make sure they have lots of water and just go about my day without any feedings. I don't make then do anything strenuous. No trips to the park or long walks, and no training with treats. Just a relaxing day with naps and lots of potty breaks. Since they have no carbs or protein in their stomachs, or calories, I can't ask them to do much of anything, so we just chill out and have an lazy day. Sometimes I will just sit with them and focus on their company. Its almost meditative.
    Sometimes they look at me like something is missing, but they never whine, or beg by their bowls. They just take it in stride and don't really react.
    Oh, I also try not to eat around them when they are fasting. I feel like its not fair to make them watch me eat and them not get anything.