Jazz Spam *817009-Massive Jazz spam*

edited April 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

I thought I'd send along a little bit of spam to brighten your Monday.

Jazz at the Relay for Life:

Jazz at Relay for Life

Jazz after Relay for Life:

Jazz after Relay for Life

Looking around the tennis court:

Looking Around the Tennis court

Wanting to play tennis:

Tennis, anyone?

Something's in the air:

Something in the air

Nephew Michael walking Jazz:

Michael walks Jazz

Nephew Steven petting Jazz:

Steven pets Jazz

Niece Kodee with Jazz:

Kodee & Jazz

Cuddling up with Kodee:

Being Spoiled

and that was our weekend. Hope you enjoyed it!

Comments

• edited November -1
    i LOVE jazz spam!! looks like a fun weekend!
  • edited November -1

I'm pretty fond of Jazz spam, myself!

We had a good time - I'm exhausted which is why I'm thankful for Mondays.  Even though I have to work - it's a lot less hectic than my weekends.

• edited November -1
    Nice LJ! She looks like she had a blast. I can see how that women thought she was a husky and dangerous. Wink I bet she got tons of attention. And, again, I love the embroidered harness.
  • edited November -1
    It's obvious she's a danger to society.  She got lots of love at Relay.  She was in absolute heaven.  The funny thing about the harness - you wouldn't believe the number of people that still ask her name.  It cracks me up when I tell them and they go, "oh, oooooh - I get it."
  • edited November -1

It looks like Jazz has a ton of people to love on her.  A very pampered little Shiba.

• edited November -1
    Just slightly...she amazes me at how much she loves people.  We didn't have a single growl friday night even though there were several other dogs going nuts with all of the sounds and people.  While my way of training her in socialization is against every known rule - it seems to have worked with her.
  • edited November -1
    how did you socialize her?
  • edited November -1
    Wow, looks like it was a ton of fun! :) Jazz is so cute.
  • edited April 2008

As I said it's the wrong way - every trainer/behaviourist will tell you that it merely reinforces the bad behavior instead of helping her.  She was terrified going into places.  She would shake and just be so sad.  I carried her, petted her, and talked to her.  I would take her into the pet store, go to a quiet area, and sit her down.  Give her a few moments and then pick her back up.  Over and over and over again- slowly making the time she was standing on the floor or in the cart longer and longer.  When we would go to the dog park, it was not uncommon to find her in my lap instead of the ground.  I'd let her start there and slowly move her out of my lap.  She never really strayed very far (no more than six feet) from me until a March outing.  About a week ago, we went to a dog park pretty close to me, she started off staying within about ten feet, but by the end of the hour, she was roaming around by herself.  That's huge step for her. 

• edited November -1
    LJ! That's awesome! Jazz is making HUGE progress!!!!! I can't wait to see how she does at the next meetup. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Me, too - is Joey and Lucy going to be able to come and play?
  • edited November -1

see I think that kind of training is something that I can do w/o
    hiring a behaviorist that may or may not help my dog. But you are
    right, every single person you talk to will say you did it wrong!

But it worked for you and it worked for Jazz, and for a shiba, who are
    very devoted to family, I think it works for that aspect too!

Bravo!  

• edited November -1
    Jazz is super cute... I love that last pic, looks like it was a fun event. Smile
  • edited November -1
    I think a large part of it depends on your dog.  I knew Jazz wanted to be friendly because of how much she loves on everybody that came into our house.  Also, when we were on our walks and went by neighbors she loved the attention she got.  However, parks and pet stores have so many more smells - it's got to overwhelm the dogs' sense of smell.  Jazz, from the time I got her in early October, is a snuggler.  She likes to be on my lap when I'm on the laptop, she curls up next to me on the bed, and when in the living room where she's not allowed on the furniture - she's sitting on someone's feet.  I probably anthropomorphizing her on this, but I felt that she draws comfort from being touched, so I worked with what she likes.
  • edited November -1
    I don't think you are anthropomorphizing. Dogs are sensitive to touch. It can be very calming and reassuring for them. On one of the many dog-themed shows I've watched, someone said that mothers will lick the muzzle of young puppies to reassure them. I'd say that's evidence that dogs respond to touch. So keep it up!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, Dave!
  • edited November -1

Great spam LJ, Jazz is such a cutie!

Dave's right on the touch sensitivity. Somewhere on my dogs books I remember reading that if you pet the ears of a dog gently it is very relaxing, and might even make his heart beat lower a bit. 

• edited November -1
    Thanks, if that's true about the ears - Jazz should be nearly comatose.  Gently stroking her ears is her favorite spot.  She'll cuddle up tight and if you stop you get this soft little woowoo sound from her.
  • edited April 2008
    jazz sounds like such a love!
    where did you get that great harness??
  • edited November -1

She truly is - my favorite part of the day is coming home and seeing what looks like pure joy on her face when she realizes that I am home.

I went searching for a Puppia harness (based on a friend's recommendation) and finally found a pet store in GA that carried them.  When I went there, they had these harnesses that are very,very similar, same price, and American made, so I bought it.  I have a co-worker who has an embroidery business on the side and had him embroider Jazz's name onto it.  I like this harness because it has some give in it (I bought one size too big - XL, for winter fur) and if I had to pull her out of a situation, I wasn't worried about choking her.  If I'm back in Roswell anytime soon, I plan to pick up a L because of her thinner coat.  That way, I can also find out the name of the harness - it was on the tag, but I threw it away.

• edited May 2008
    Okay, I promised Romi I would post pics of Jazz in her new outfits. I haven't done any editing so forgive the green eyed look that Jazz is giving everybody. By the way, there are a few more outfits for her to model, but I wanted to give Jazz a break. Surprisingly, she was quite calm during the whole put on new clothes and then take them off.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• edited November -1
    Jazz is so pretty and full of Jazz! I love her!
  • edited November -1
    Jazz looks adorable!!! Love the pics LJ! Thanks for sharing!
  • edited November -1
    Damn LJ, she looks so damn cute in a hoodie! :-)
  • edited November -1
    She likes the hoodie - I was surprised she didn't freak out on some of the outfits, but she was just cool about it - I had to keep waking her up to change the outfits.
  • edited November -1
    My fave pix are with the hoodie and the red outfit!!!!! Sooooo cute!
  • edited November -1
    Your Shiba is lovely...
  • edited November -1
    On a training note...
    While TECHNICALLY you may have trained Jazz incorrectly, sounds like she is and was a well adjusted Shiba who wasn't low in confidence, just easily overwhelmed (little pup/big world). So your attention and affection wasn't reinforcing bad behavior the way it would be with and insecure shiba. It was really just assuring her you were there. I am sure had Jazz been insecure in the home you would have probably needed to do things a little differently.

Now on a fun note... She may be one of the prettiest Shibas I have seen. Sounds like you guys had a blast! More Pictures!!!!
  • edited November -1
    What a stylin' doggie! I like the hoodie outfit, and the bright red kimono... Adorable!
  • edited November -1
    Jazz has such a sassy look in the last picture- so Shiba! I think it's great that she likes to wear her outfits.
This discussion has been closed.