JA making vocalizations or growling at night.

edited August 2013 in General
The last couple of nights my JA has been waking up around 3:30 a.m. and making vocalizations that sound like growls for no apparent reason. He stares off into the corner of my room with his ears flattened back and just focuses while making those sounds. I've checked the room and nothing is out of place, but the next morning he is always happy as usual. Do you think it could be due to nightmares?

Comments

• Yes. Irregular sleep patterns during rem sleep can produce abrupt startle awakening and incoherence in some dogs. Somewhat similar to sleepwalking in humans. Have observed two adolescent dogs with this issue (neither related). Inn extreme cases downtime requires crating to prevent startle outburst becoming problematic for other dogs in the house or humans if the animal sleeps on owners bed. Once fully awake dogs are fine behavior wise.

Snf
  • Ghosts.

Well, maybe not....but...:) :)
  • Ghosts.

Well, maybe not....but...:) :)
    Man, my brother said the same thing! Hahahaha!

Yes. Irregular sleep patterns during rem sleep can produce abrupt startle awakening and incoherence in some dogs. Somewhat similar to sleepwalking in humans. Have observed two adolescent dogs with this issue (neither related). Inn extreme cases downtime requires crating to prevent startle outburst becoming problematic for other dogs in the house or humans if the animal sleeps on owners bed. Once fully awake dogs are fine behavior wise.

Snf
    Thanks for the reply! I climbed on to the roof of the house and there appears to be some sort of bird's nest. Do you think it's possible that my pup is reacting to sounds that the bird's may be making? I personally couldn't hear anything during that time.
  • edited August 2013
    It could be the birds, if it starts to becomes pre-dawn at that point in your area. It could be bats too if they happen to get into your attic. Bats leave at dusk and re-roost early in the morning. Hard to say. You have to observe it and make sure it does not escalate so your dog is comfortable.

Good luck
    Snf
  • Thanks, I appreciate the input!
  • I agree, confirmed for ghosts. 100%.
  • my Ja does this to. I think it just dreams. or he may be feeling pain. my Ja has bone marrow cancer. and I think sharp pains might be happening. but I lean more twards dreams.