Found a Hokkaido Inu

edited July 2013 in General
I mean I believe I did.. lol.

Found in Taipei, Taiwan. They called it a "Shiba Ken"

It was around $600 USD shipped to USA. I should have picked him up but I was traveling on a budget!

Comments

• Looks like a cream shiba puppy.
  • Cream shiba for sure, I highly doubt they would mislabel a (rarer and potentially more valuable) hokka for a shiba.
  • Yeah, probably a cream shiba. Poor guy, where is he? In a pet store or something?
  • Yeah, probably a cream shiba. Poor guy, where is he? In a pet store or something?
    Yeah he was in some pet store.

• Yep, cream Shiba. Ken and Inu are (fairly) interchangeable and both mean dog.
  • Hokkaido tend to have smaller ears as puppies. Was it $600 for the price of the pup and the shipping? Just curious..
  • I hate seeing pictures of dogs in pet stores. Breaks my heart.
  • Hokkaido tend to have smaller ears as puppies. Was it $600 for the price of the pup and the shipping? Just curious..
    Yes I did the calculations he gave me in Taiwan money. It came out to be $600 shipped. For pup and shipping. I found that very cheap, am I wrong?

• I hate seeing pictures of dogs in pet stores. Breaks my heart.
    Same, in Taiwan you see stray dogs everywhere.. walking in pacts, etc..

And dog owners don't leash their dogs there as far as I saw, they trained their dogs to be very loyal. Something I wish I could do, lol. My Akita would run as far as he can haha.
  • @dennis_sly "Cheap" only because Shibas are common in Taiwan, and it doesn't actually cost that much to vaccinate and microchip the puppy, load him into a crate and send him overseas. I know because I've done it before. And have paid plenty to compensate for the initial cost, though the Shiba is still very much loved.

I wouldn't necessarily say off-leash = loyal. But it's a very atypical environment, to be sure. I'm always impressed by how Taiwanese dogs end up being so street savvy (because the ones that aren't are splattered by scooters pretty quickly, I suppose).