Chowsky

edited June 2013 in General
Yep, so this is what they're calling the new mix-breed du jour.
Chow Chow + Siberian Husky = Chowsky.

So I met the lady in the neighbourhood who has one and she thought Saigo was a Chowsky too!
I knew already about her dog "Steve" from my neighbours. Anyway, so I went home and googled Chowsky. I have to admit, they do look a bit like Japanese Akitas.

http://www.mylot.com/post/2559142/chow-chow-siberian-husky-chusky

Comments

• Something about creating a name to mutts makes me gag a little inside. Idk if thats too mean but if its a mutt its a mutt. I hate the whole designer thing
  • If I had one, I'd name it Noam Chowsky :)
  • I knew a guy in Taos that breed these and called has a "Chowbarian Chowsky"...
  • Might as well get a long-haired Japanese Akita. At least those could be papered...

• I heard the term "Chusky", too.
  • I'm curious what the backend of this hybrid Steve looks like. Chows are known to have a stiff stilted gait, while huskies run like the wind. Any observations @mapletwinkie?
  • I particularly puzzled by the chow crosses. I had a supposed lab/chow cross, and she did have a purple tongue and prick ears (looked a bit like a Kai otherwise), so I suppose she was a chow cross, and I've run into quite a few chow/lab crosses (they even have one as a "breed" on the Sims 3!) But....how many actual Chows do you run into? I don't see that many! So I'm puzzled as where people are getting these chows to make these crosses.....

And I like Chows. But not the easiest dogs on the planet, you know? What an odd combo with a husky!
  • I thought the same thing, Lisa- I never see any chows, either.
  • My neighbor has two chow chows.. they're cute they have a platform to sun on and dog door into the house. haha

I've met a black chow chow I wish I had camera to get picture it was so cute!

I guess I'm a chow chow magnet.. A puppy even ran to my house when I lived in Louisiana it was so friendly and wanted to play! Sadly the neighbor gave it up. Case of kid wanting a dog, but not taking care of them.

Yeah I don't get point of this mix.. The mastiff lab mix my neighbor got was very off temperament wise. Had zero dog manners and chased cars. Neighbor got rid of her or she ran off and never was found she didn't have a id tag. :\

She was cute dog looked like giant lab, but I prefer labs normal sized..
  • I think that the designer names are cute on rescue dogs but awful on breeder dogs. I feel like the context makes the message way different. Like, I have no problem with the word "mutt" but some people do (they feel like people are somehow saying their dog is inferior by using the word) and if they don't want it applied to their dog, then whatever. It's born from loving the dog, and loving your dog is what's important. When breeders or people who bought dogs from breeders do it though it's sickening because it's born of an effort to try and legitimize very bad breeding. I don't like efforts to sugar coat bad breeder.
  • IMO, a lot of the supposed "chow mixes" we get up here from the south (that have predominantly black mouths/tongues) are actually curs or cur mixes. I've seen quite a few with black tongues.

I tried to ask people the same question - how many Chows do you think are running around and mating with other mongrels? Most Chow people I meet are pretty responsible about their dogs. Most people know what they're getting into when they get a Chow and while I'm sure there are some "impulse buys" on Chow puppies, they're not a very popular breed, which - to me - reduces the chances that there are a bajillion Chow Chows running around and creating black-tongued babies.
  • Lots of kinds of dogs can have spotted tongues. I agree w/ Crisp!
  • @rikumom I'll try to get photos of Steve. He looks a little like a JA long haired from far away but from up close it looks like a oversized pom (to me lol !). I'll take a snap of his bum for you.

• My chow mix was clearly either chow (or sharpei) because her tongue was not black but a lovely violet color. not spots, but the whole tongue.

I have issues with the word mutt, and I usually say mixed breed. But my issues with the word are not with dogs.
  • my moms former friend had a chow chow named bella and when she would come by with her bella would be very dominant over space and just took over my couch and wherever nanook laid and he didn't like that because he would look for me and just stay by me and force me gently using his mouth to grab my hand and pet him lol but at the same time he was scared of her so he wouldn't try to force her of "his space". She was also a bad puller too but a pretty dog
  • I met one loose-running intact male purebred black Chow in Arkansas once.

He was gorgeous, but it was a really unfortunate situation.

But he's the only likely Chow mix producer I've ever met... the rest of the Chows I've seen were either spayed/neutered, or belonged to people who certainly weren't letting them run around.

I've actually seen more questionable Shar-Peis than Chows...