What's a kai ken?

edited July 2011 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
So as I said in the breed ban thread I'm moving into a new place in a couple months and hopefully we're going to be there a while. Can you believe that this will be our 7th move in 3-4 years?!?! Kinda tired of moving lol.

Anyways, we are more than likely (if breeder is fine with our apt living) to have our kai in this residence. I spoke with a leasing consultant over the phone and since no one there has ever heard of the breed, they have a hard time giving me a definite yes or no. Giving the overly broad comparison of "it's like a shiba inu but bigger" didn't work either since they had no idea what a shiba was lol. They were asking me to name breeds that are comparable and I couldn't think of anything. Besides printing a Wikipedia page out, how would you go about explaining what a kai is?

Comments

• In Finland I compare Kai to Finnish Spitz because eveyone here nows it. So you could think some common spitz breed in US to compare with in size and some other in temper.

This reminds me when I was taking insurance for Ife. I got several phone calls from our insurance company that there isn't breed named Kai in the world. Yeah right :D. Call to our kennel club confirmed that this breed really exist.
  • Lots of people ask me if Sosuke is a GSD or Malinois mix, so you could say like a half-sized GSD maybe? Maybe a less-furry Samoyed or Keeshond? In terms of function they're kind of like pointy-eared hounds, but better not compare them to any banned breeds!
  • Airedales, Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Basset Hounds, Bloodhounds, Bullmastiff, Chow Chows, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepard, Giant Schnauzer, Great Dane, Husky, Pit Bulls, Standard Poodles (miniature Poodles are permitted), Presa Canario, Rotweiler, St. Bernard, Terriers (West Highland, Jack Russell, and Yorkshire Terriers are permitted), or Wolf hybrids.

^ban list. That's the thing, most common spitz are banned haha.
  • How about German spitz mittel but a little bigger.
  • edited July 2011
    Rina I'll just drive over with Koda. No apartment would ever have an issue with him.

I like to give a breed description. One that mentions that they are aloof with strangers and don't bark. :-)

Oh and I live in a condo. Koda does extremely well. We do exercise 2 hours a day though.
  • Tara if push comes to shove I might have to hire you and Koda to drive over here and be breed representatives.
  • Yeah you're still in Sac right? I would do it. I'll even throw on Koda's service dog vest. ha ha

Definitely make sure they know Kais are not Akitas. AAA gave me a bit of a problem about that.

Here's Sarahsdogs.com's personality description. Just maybe take out the guard dog stuff. ;-)

Personality
    Kai Kens make wonderful house pets and companions as they form a strong bond with the human family. These dogs are very loyal to their masters. They love unconditionally and would need to be loved in return. Kai Kens would demand constant attention and would love to be included in the activities of the family. These dogs are known to be gentle with children. Puppies would love nothing more than to be cuddled and carried by kids. However, it would not be wise to leave very little kids alone with any breed of dog. Also, kids must be cautioned not to tease the dog. A dog no matter how good tempered may get irritated and could hurt the kids. Kai Kens make good family pets because they can tolerate smaller pets. As Kai Kens are highly intelligent breed it would be quite amusing to see the dog play mind games such as the "Stare" with other smaller pets of the family.

Present day Kai Kens have developed into excellent guard dogs. As mentioned before these dogs are intelligent. Housebreaking them would be easy. Some Kai Ken owners have attested to the fact that these dogs can be easily trained as guard dogs. A trained Kai Ken would be able to discern a family member from an intruder. Kai Kens are affectionate with the family but they are reserve with strangers. These dogs are not barkers and would only bark to warn the owners of intruders or of unusual circumstances. It would not be uncommon to see a Kai Ken perched on a table always watchful and alert guarding the family.

Due to the dog's nature and origin, obedience training and socialization is necessary. Socialization must be started while the dog is still young. By taking the puppy to public places, it would be exposed to other people, other animal as well as to varied situations. This will prevent the puppy from developing into a shy and fearful dog. Fearful puppies often develop into biting dogs.

These dogs are fairly inactive indoors and as such they would do well in an apartment as long as enough exercise is provided. Owners may take the dog on long walks in the park but these dogs must be kept leashed at all times. Being hunting dog, their prey drive would manifest once they see smaller animals. Given the chance the dog would swim, climb fences and trees to pursue their prey. Well trained Kai Kens may be unleashed in a fenced yard and if the owner is sure that the dog would respond to his commands.

• Dutch Shepard.
  • Oh, I got it. Since GSDs, huskies, and hounds are banned at that place, say that they're similar in size and function to a spaniel, but they're less noisy and a lot cleaner. Who can argue with that?
  • Tara - Yeah, we're currently 20 minutes from downtown Sac, moving up the freeway so we'll be about 30 minutes from downtown Sac. Ooo thanks for the description.

Brad - Haha omg I can't believe the dutchies slipped my mind.
  • Heidi - Hmm, are they? I could use that.
  • I'm laughing a bit, because I think everyone is coming up with breeds they probably wouldn't know anyway. Including the dutch shepherd! :)

Heidi, that was a good answer!

I wouldn't look at a Kai and say "spitz" breed, so I think you can avoid that problem (or rather, I would, but since many people equate spitz with a curled tail, I doubt they'll think of it).

How about saying a Kai is similar to a cattle dog? They don't appear to be banned, and they are kind of similiarly sized, right? I can't remember what an ACD's personality is like, though.
  • I'm telling you, we'll put Koda in his service vest and whatever apartment manager will love him. I should start renting him out to prospective Kai owners.
  • Lisa - the only issue is when I think ACD I think dog on crack lol.

Tara - I really need to make a drive over there and meet you guys. 2 hour drive isn't bad. Car went kaput thanks to our SoCal trip but once it's fixed I might start bugging you for a meetup.
  • A normal-legged and very dirty Corgi.

Jesse
  • UKC classifys them as a Northern Breed, so you do not really have to use the word Spitz if that would be an issue...you can also present them as tracking/hunting dogs... maybe you could describe them as a meduim size northern breed, brindle in color,originally from Japan with a curled tail and prick ears first used to help track deer and wild boar... and let them tell you what they think they look like and if the breed they mention is on their list then say yes except .... (this is where you figure out why the breed is banned and tell them how differant the Kai is.. if you just describe them most people familar with dogs will have a breed pop into their head...and then you figure out if they are pro or con and use it for comparision... hope that made some kind of sense...

I don't know if anything from the NAKA site would help or not...

http://www.kai-ken.org
    http://www.kai-ken.org/archive/excellence.htm
    http://www.kai-ken.org/archive/bloodlines_0307.htm

There are a few SAR dogs in Japan which could be mentioned and there are some here also I beleive... and quite a few Therapy dogs. Definitely meeting Koda may be helpful,especially with his service vest : )

I like the word "reserved" better than "aloof"

• I just had another thought, you could give them the address of the the trailer for First Dog who is thought to be a Kelpie and say they look similar... I think most people, even if they do not know what a Kelpie actually looks like will say they have heard of them... they may have seen or heard of the movie...
  • Thanks for the NAKA website. That'll help since it's an official website.

I think I'll print some webpages out and offer them to meet Koda.
  • @okiron- If you're in Sacramento, feel free to join the Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetup,
  • @okiron of all places I just got this on the Villalobos FB. It's a completely pet friendly apartment complex in Davis. All breeds allowed. http://www.stonesfair.com/greystone/
  • Lol Errik finally got a transfer less than 2 weeks ago away from Davis to save on gas, would be bad to move away from work just to go broke on gas again.
  • Rina, what did you end up telling leasing consultants what a Kai was? :)
  • We ended up not moving haha. We hate it here but our BIL moved in with us so we needed the extra room.
  • @jujee Just bring Koda with you. Who could resist him? Just tell them that he's supersized.
  • @tjbart17 - maybe I will have you scope out places for me and bring Koda there!

I'm currently looking at Stoneridge, its near Heather Farm Park.
  • Oh that's a good place. lmao It's a half a mile from me!!!!!!
  • edited March 2012
    Haha. Woot