Breed Write Ups

edited January 2011 in General
I'm sure everyone's noticed I've put up write ups on all the NK. If you notice any incorrect information or anything at all that you think should be changed, feel free to comment.

I just felt that it would be good to have these up on the forum, and since I wrote them for a website I'm making they were conveniently available.

I'll be adding pictures to the posts in the future.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Thanks! They're great! Now we should sticky them so they are at the top of the page for quick reference.

Uh....duh. They are up there! Sorry about that....I'd just come over from the Shiba side and was still seeing that in my mind! *lol*
  • Oh Shigeru, I just caught a tiny thing. In the akita one, you have it saying they have 5 colors but you listed 3.
  • oops, thanks
  • While some people feel that sesame is still around it is not. The JA is just down to three colors. The AA on the other hand still has more. All in all nice write up. I do feel that the size ie height etc in the FCI standard is outdated. Male's are a 10:10 LxH or in simple terms you should be able to measure with a stick of gum. As long as it is high. Females on the other hand can be a bit longer.

Like we talked about at the club meet up, I feel that the Red found in many modern Akita, came from those Akitas that were stashed on Hokkaido during the period before and throughout the war.

• I noticed in the shikoku one that "withers" was misspelled as "whithers"

Also, is the average male shikoku weight really 45 lbs? I would have thought it would be closer to 40-42 lbs. I know my male is right in the middle of standard for height, and he is just shy of 40 lbs. My female is also right in standard and is about 30 lbs (but she is only 1 year and will probably hit your 35 lb mark). Both are kind of skinny because they are finicky eaters, so if they ate more regularly, they would be a greater weight.

So far, I don't remember any other male shikokus being close to 45 lbs in the US (Tenji, Shoshouu), but I could be wrong....
  • 37-50 lb is the average Shikoku male (17-23kg)

Fixed spelling of withers. Strange, ran spell check on it today :(
  • Do need to add breed size to the Akita write up, just slacked off there.
  • The litter Ahi is from produced a male that is now 65lbs.