Do Shikokus like water?

Just curious if your Shikokus like (or at least tolerate) the water. We recently moved to an area in Washington State with lots of water surrounding us, and our Shiba isn't the biggest fan, although she seems to be warming up to it a bit.

We want to get a Shikoku soon. What are your experiences with play times by the water?

Comments

• I have 2 Shikoku. My male HATES water and you really have to coax/cajole him to cross streams when hiking. My female does like water and likes to wade in it, but I have not seen her swim. She also loves to play in water flowing from a spigot. My male would never dream of playing in flowing water from a hose, LOL!

So, it depends on the dog....
  • Rakka wades in water and plays in it. She'll generally go up to her belly and no further, but she doesn't mind it at all. We used to live on a property that had a pond on it and she was in there every day.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't have a shikoku, but I definitely agree that it depends on the dog. Before getting my shiba, I did a lot of research and I read just about everywhere that shibas do not like water. My shiba LOVES water as long as she makes the decisions to play it in (meaning she still isn't a fan of baths). She plays in her water bowl, frolics in the rain, splashes in muddy puddles, and likes to try and catch hose water. Sometimes I wish she liked water just a little less, so I wouldn't need to stand in the pouring rain for 30-45 minutes waiting for her to finally pick a poop spot, haha. (She is also extremely picky about where she poops.)

So, even if the sources say it's common for a breed to like/dislike the water, that may not necessarily be the case...
  • Yup, depends on the Shiku.

Kotomi HATES the pool! However, she does well on hikes walking through streams & low rivers. They are all pretty good with tolerating the water during baths. And whilst they don't go swimming in water...they will at times walk or run through it for fun (i.e. large puddles in the park after pouring rain). Feet need to be able to touch the ground though and they're cool with water.

They also LOVE to drink water by the way =p.
  • My little girl, Panda (Shikoku), really loves water as long as she doesn't have to swim. She'll also wade out almost to her belly, but not past that. She loves playing with the hose water, in those plastic baby pools, puddles, mud, shallow streams . . . etc.

She doesn't even mind her baths . . . but her favorite part of the bath is being rubbed with a clean dry towel :)
  • Our Shikoku and Kai will wade in water but do not like when only their feet get wet or muddy. So they don't like being in the rain but, will cross a stream while hiking with no issues.
  • My little dude loves water. He jumped in our pool his first week home lol He's great with rain puddles, baths, showers, etc.

A vid of him getting sprayed with a water bottle a couple of weeks ago:

As always, YMMV. ~
  • Akana likes rain and puddles.. We havent been to "open water" yet as she havent had her last shot(s) yet..
  • I try raising my dogs to some what swim and Taro has really gotten into the swimming thing. Once in a while he will try to out swim hana for a stick, which usually ends up with Hana pulling on him about 8 dog lengths before Taro catches up.

Riki was just a wader, never going into deep water. Now I'm working with Koyuki to start going into water. Right now she just tries to avoid it and walk on her tip toes through a puddle. Its kind of comical to watch her do it.
  • @sangmort He is adorable. What did you end up naming him? And is that giant really Wraith? Man he has grown.
  • Mine will wade in very shallow puddles...to drink it. She doesn't mind the rain at all. I will see how she handles deeper water when she's got all her shots (e.g. dog beach).

Jesse
  • @okiron , Thank Rina! Yeah, the giant is Wraith. He's 52lbs now lol If he's going to be like his mum, he should edge closer to 80lbs tho.

We decided to name our boy Fate. :) ~
  • Miyu is turning out to be like Tikaani when it comes to water so far...Every time I spray the geckos, she gets right in front of the nozzle and gets her face soaked. I can't wait to see how she reacts to rain and the ocean once everything isn't frozen.
  • @sangmort holy moly Wraith. Aww Fate is nice.

@Calia does Miyu get her own bucket? :P
  • @okiron LoL Rina, she'll get one when she's big enough...I wonder if I can find a pink bucket :P
  • @Calia - Beth, Home Depot I think has pink breast cancer buckets. :) If not, I know Target has pretty pink flowery buckets in the Spring for Easter. Hehe.