Kaia dislocated her hip (AGAIN!) - needs surgery for real this time. :o(

edited July 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Today, as we were getting ready to leave for Santa Fe for Blue and Lani's training class (we were putting all the dogs in their crates), something happened outside and caused a big commotion. All the dogs running out the door to see what was up.

In the excitement, Kaia jumped off the back of the couch, where she usually lays, and ended up with a dislocated hip that will require surgery to repair. :o(

I dunno why it has to happen to her, she has gone through so much since we rescued her.

I guess it's our fault for letting her lay up there, she just loves it up high like that (and out of the way)... She even has steps to get up there, but I guess in the excitement she didn't use them.

I feel horrible for her, she was in so much pain. She's at the vet now, they will pop her hip back in, then put her in a sling until they can do the surgery on Monday or Tuesday to repair things. She will be on pain meds while we wait.

Poor little Kaia. :'o(

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    oh no Kaia! I hope the girl feels better soon. Poor pup.

What are the recovery times for the surgery she'll need?
  • edited November -1
    Poor girl. I feel so bad for her.
  • edited November -1
    :(
    best wishes, Kaia!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Poor Kaia. :( We'll keep her and you guys in our thoughts.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, poor baby. Thinking good thoughts for Kaia.
  • edited November -1
    Aww poor Kaia :( She'll be in my thoughts.
  • edited November -1
    Poor Kaia, hope surgery goes well.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Poor Kaia, but also poor Brad & Jen.
  • edited July 2009
    We still haven't heard from the vet - we're kinda freaking out now. :o(

What are the recovery times for the surgery she'll need?
    >> I honestly didn't think to ask, it was not really presented in a way that gave us an option to do it or not, so the usual question one would ask didn't really pop in my head. I'll let you know when we hear more.

----
  • edited November -1
    I hate to hear this! Let us know when you can about her surgery.

Sending recovery hopes your way!
  • edited November -1
    I commented on your facebook too, so sorry to hear this. Just awful. Poor Kaia.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, poor Kaia...

I don't want to sound preachy, but try to get a second opinion about the need for surgery.

My mom had ran over my sister's cat and popped off both his hips. We brought him to the vet and they told us he needed a $2000 surgery. My mom couldn't afford it so brought him home and brought him back to the vet after a few days seeing if there is anything else that we could do for him. He was seen by a different vet who said that the surgery is not necessary all the time and if we keep him from moving too much that the hips will pop right back into place. He was practically glued to the floor of the bathroom for a week (which is hard for an outside cat), took him back to the vet and they stated that his hips are fine. Now he acts like he was never hit.

I know that cats are different, but I feel that doctors are sometimes too quick to go the surgery route, and sometimes the seurgery can cause more harm than good (arthritis, lameness with that leg). I think you should get a double check a day before her surgery to see if maybe she's healing alright on her own.
  • edited November -1
    I hope she feels a bit better now, with the pain meds. Poor little girl, that must be awful to go through.
    Good luck for all of you, going through this.
  • edited November -1
    Well, Kaia is home and drugged. Her hip seated back in the socket nicely, the xrays looked great, so hopefully she will not need surgery after all. She has a sling on, and will need it on for 2 weeks.

Thanx for all the kind words, hopefully this will all be passed soon and she will not need surgery.

----
  • edited November -1
    Fingers crossed for Kaia.

Hope she feels better soon! :)
  • edited November -1
    Bummer
    The good news is that you caught this right away and your vet was able to do a closed reduction! As long as there is no damage to the acetabulum or a bone chip present, and the hip stays in place she will not need surgery. Success of closed reduction diminishes greatly after 24-48 hours of luxation. They are surprisingly difficult to put back in place, even in small dogs under anesthesia! The Ehmer slings can be sort of a pain. They stay in place much better on lankier beasts like hounds.

It was right to prepare you for the possibility of surgery. Often an FHO is required.

Good luck Kaia! Keep that femoral head in place!
  • edited November -1
    Poor Kaia! Hope she recovers quickly.
  • edited November -1
    Poor girl, hope she has an uneventful recovery.
  • edited November -1
    Get well soon Kaia!
  • edited November -1
    Oh man.. my heart sank when I read this. I'm glad she's doing much better now and in the sling at home. Poor Kaia and poor Andersons!! Sending good luck vibes to you!
  • edited November -1
    Poor Kaia I hope she gets better soon. =)
  • edited November -1
    Feel better soon Kaia <3 ~
  • edited November -1
    oh my goodness, poor Kaia! :( I hope she heals alright and doesn't need surgery ...
  • edited November -1
    paws crossed for healing w/o surgery...
    poor girl...
  • edited November -1
    Hope she gets better soon and without surgery poor little girl
  • edited November -1
    How's she doing now? She's been in my thoughts!
  • edited November -1
    Poor Kaia! I hope she is feeling better!
  • edited November -1
    Ok, time for an update...

Kaia is doing well. She REALLY wants to use her leg, but she can't. She is starting to learn to hop around, she's pretty cute when she does it.

We found a better sling to order for her from the same people that made Ahi's "Fancy Pants", we are gonna get that ordered ASAP - we think it will really help her be more comfortable.

----
  • edited November -1
    She's a shiba! She'll look cute doing anything :) I'm sure she'll be back playing with the big dogs in no time.
  • edited November -1
    Awwww. Poor Kaia babe. <3 ~
This discussion has been closed.