Pixie the shiba

edited October 2015 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hello everyone, I joined the forum recently and i just wanted to introduce you my little shiba inu girl Pixie (and spam some pictures :) )

Name : Pixie
DOB : 08-05-2014
Weight : 16 lbs

Trait : She is litteraly a big dog in a small body. Since she got all her shots we brought her to the dog park so she is very used to play with other dogs (0 agressivity at all) Which I'm very proud of because i know that it's not the case with all shibas. I did note however that she will most likely play/run with dogs that she met as a pup and often ignore the new 'pack' members.

I live in a small town so everyone knows her at the dog park and there is a running gag that she is the park's chief/leader. Each time there is some action she runs to supervise it.

I did some obedience classes when she was younger (puppy class and 2 other classes). The puppy class and the 1st obedience went really fine. The 2nd one not so much -.- . I decided to stop going to them since I'm pretty sure she hated the trainer. She would just stand still all class and not respond to any command (even a simple sit) and I had cheese as a treat (her favorite). She even growled to the teacher when he tried to force her to sit. Shibas stubbornness..!

They say that shibas are not really yappy, which is one of the reason I chose this breed since I live in a condo. Well not her, she is REALLY vocal. One of her favorite activity is to sit at the top of the couch and bark to people. When she plays with other dogs she almost sounds like a hyena and when she needs to pee or wants to play she come to me, put her head between my legs and whine.

She is a pretty active dog. Since i live in a condo i have to walk her 2-3 times/day (20-30 mins walks each time) but it's not enough. If she doesn't play with an other dog or run, she will get destructive. My poor couch can attest.

I'm also amazed at how fast she runs. I mean she outruns every dogs at the dog park, even basenjis and husky. This is by the way the reason why she is always on a leash :p (and because she comes when called 1 out of 2 times)

Comments

• Pixie is so cute! I love all these pictures of her. Her eyes seem very expressive. :)
  • Awww. What a lovely girl! And the name sure fits her.
  • She is a cutie. :)

Shibas really do need more exercise than you are giving her, especially an adolescent. Even my senior Shiba gets close to twice that amount of exercise on a daily basis. I would definitely increase the time and intensity of your walks and include some mental stimulation in there also. That will probably help calm her down inside and help keep her from being quite so barky. (A tired Shiba is a GOOD Shiba!)

Shibas (and really, all dogs) do much better with positive reinforcement training versus an aversive training (such as your trainer forcing her to sit). You may want to revisit training with her and sign her up for a positive reinforcement class (does not necessarily have to be obedience, you could try agility!).

Hopefully she stays good with other dogs. But do be aware that most Shibas start to become less tolerant of strange dogs around adulthood (two years of age or so). Keep socializing her though!

You may want to join the Shiba forum also, since there is a lot of great Shiba-centric information on that side. :-D
  • Thank you for the advices :) I will join the shiba forum too !

Maybe I wasnt clear but she does get more exercice then 3 walks a day (dog park almost everyday, some roller, walks in the woods, etc)

I also enjoy to show her new tricks (as for now she knows : sit, stay, wait, leave it, lie, roll, stand, up, high five, kisses, heel and come)

I did thought about agility with her but i finally decided to wait for next summer for classes. It will give me some time to watch tutorials online on the basics command to teach her before we start.