What the experts say about "The Dog Whisperer" (Cesar Millan)

Comments

• That would be Sirius Puppy Training which was released in 1987. "Give it a tug", "give him a warning before yanking." During that time, the yanks wouldn't be considered harsh.

Nowadays, especially on this forum, I think it would be frowned down on.
  • edited August 2012
    We cleaned our garage this weekend. I found Cesar's book someone had given me years ago... I felt I should make an informative video on how to use his book safely.

• @poeticdragon BWAHAHAHA! That's neat how the pages unfold and burn up one by one.
  • That is awesome!!!
  • That made me laugh!

@Ayk re: the old videos 1987. I have to assume, then, that he has changed his training tactics. I certainly can't fault anyone for changing their minds and doing things differently. Good for him!
  • I thought this blog post was nicely written (though I disagree with the religion part): http://awesomedogs.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/treated-like-a-dog/
  • Latest episode
    Female lab has resource guarding issues..
    I hate the whole tense sound going on when it happens maybe I'll pick up on what the dog is doing with sound off..
    I don't feel this right way to fix resource guarding..

Saya never resourced guarded with me ever she did with cat because he figured rubbing against Saya while she ate was good idea. My fault for not standing near her to shoo the cats. Luckily Saya growled and I had enough time to shoo the cat.

Bella my mom's boxer she resourced guarded as pup parent's thought it'd be good idea to feed her in same room as Dink big mistake Dink ate all her food and went for the puppy kibble.

Bella then got more nervious with her food ate faster.. Now Dink is gone Bella has calmed down and eats slower she doesn't choke like she used to.

She was never hand fed as a pup.. Saya was hand fed her kibble I'd hand feed her some then she got rest in her bowl and I'd use her meal kibble for training too.

When I given Bella raw quarter first she growled at me and bared her teeth. I was just standing by not hovering over her or even looking at her.

eventually she got better and I worked with her she knew drop it and leave it so I'd have her drop and leave it for either a tiny bit of liver, heart, or boneless meat.

I'd also give her a treat randomly. She now eats fine with me no growling, baring teeth or getting tense trying eat faster.

The commercial for this episode made it a big deal about him getting bite.

I didn't see the full episode as I don't watch TV or dog whisperer much.

• Ugh, that's horrid, poor dog. What a terrible person. They make the dog look like the bad guy...
  • "I didnt see that coming"

Oh please, that dog could not have given clearer messages that it was tipping past it's threshold and really uncomfortable with him being so directly in it's space.

The dog was giving some very clear cues that it was not comfortable. I would never have been waving my hands around it.

On the other hand, the dog has probably had enough negative experiences with this type of training and enough chances to practice biting that it is becoming it's default behavior, I would agree the dog has been made to be unsafe around people and children now.

• Why was aggression his first reaction when faced with the dog's aggression? I don't understand how he can be in so many situations with aggressive dogs and use the same techniques for almost all of them.

This whole clip only raised my stress level and I feel badly for the dog AND the family, who now thinks their dog is even WORSE because they had to watch her bite the (famous) trainer who was supposed to be the best of the best and capable of "fixing" their dog.
  • I heard that at the end of this episode, he took the dog back with him for further rehabilitation, ugh.
  • @lindsayt - I was going to type exactly the same thing. He didn't see that coming because he has no idea what he is doing.

That shit makes me so mad.
  • How can someone treat an animal like that on TV and not be arrested? If I was out in public and kicked a dog people would flip out.

Gah... @Saya ... I'm mad at you for posting this. lol ... I had gotten passed my CM anger, but now it's all back again.
  • aykayk
    edited September 2012
    I disagree. If I were getting bitten and the dog was not letting go, I would have the mindset that anything goes to get that dog off of me. Kicks included. The same goes if another dog were to be biting and latching onto my dog.

What he was doing to the dog before the bite though was extremely stupid.
  • Ok, @ayk, I see your point. However, the bite was 100% avoidable, which makes the kick just one more abusive move from a dog bully. So, the kick maybe is not what I meant, all the actions added together, including the kick, is what I see as animal abuse.

Here is Nicole Wilde's take on the episode: http://wildewmn.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/pushed-too-far/

----
  • I haven't even watched the clip yet--need to wait til I'm not feeling so....sad/upset about dogs. BUT just what shows up in the still image is WRONG! Look at his body language--it's like he's getting ready to attack that dog! No wonder the dogs freak out.

I agree, Brad, why is it ok for him to treat animals like that, anywhere, but esp. on TV so other idiots can then emulate him.
  • edited September 2012
    The episode will be on natgeo wild on sept 21 or 22 I think. I'm going to watch it to see the full story since this just shows him confronting the dog..

Sorry for posting this.. It'd been eventually posted here as it's all over places it seems.

Thanks for the Nicole Wilde link.

I agree with curytails made me sick seeing this.
  • Wow. That made me physically ill.
  • I read Nicole Wilde's blog on this, and I agree, I'm just sickened by this. The dog gave him every chance to back off, and he pushed her further. This man is an idiot, and I can't believe he's still on the air.

And you know, I finally just got really sick of the people who own dogs who allow this to happen to their dogs. Who lets some idiot come in and bully their dog til it bites? (And then probably gives up the dog?) WTF is wrong with people? The people who are willing to call this guy in are also really part of the problem to my mind.
  • edited September 2012
    Here's a followup video. Not anywhere near as bad as that other one, but it's still got quite a bit of stupid.

• edited September 2012
    I took Akuma and Beebe to a dog festival yesterday. It was saddening to me hearing all the "shhht" noises from the crowd of pet owners.

I don't see happy dogs in that last video. I see uncertain dogs who appear fearful even during the play and don't know if it "ok" or not (learned helplessness). Honestly, it really reminds of the body language of abused children when they suddenly receive praise or affection. They are unsure if it's "safe" praise.
  • Oh man. How upsetting.
  • OMG @Losech, that video actually came out several months ago...Poor girl
  • 2:23 I dunno what Junior did as the camera wasn't showing it, but he fell to the ground so fast! I guess the star pupil gets strict treatment..

6:20 Budha I think the dog name was didn't seem to want to play stayed in the corner. Don't see point bringing the dogs into such excitement during feeding time either..

6:30 umm If another dog were to attack me I don't want to rely on my own dogs to defend myself or attack the attacking dog.
  • The first video made me physically sick to my stomach. This man needs to be thrown in jail for mistreatment of animals. His training methods continue to ruin more and more dogs and make them ticking time bombs.
  • Just watching this video now. What an idiot. "See this relaxation - *bite*." Just as he's gloating. What I saw was a nervous dog trying to warn off an aggressor and then appease him with avoidance before finally cracking. I think CM needs to learn the difference between calm and scared stiff.
  • @JessicaRabbit - That was a great read. Thanks Jess.
  • @brada1878 I have lost a few hours of my day reading this guys blog. He is really very interesting.
  • Thanks Jessica. That is a really good analysis, and also a good blog overall. I'll be reading more.