Are Western Interpretations of Character Changing the Japanese Breeds?

edited November 2015 in General
I thought this was an interesting discussion topic as well--
I was going to put this in "behavior and training" but thought it might go better as a general topic.
@zandrame -
For the rarer breeds, I'm curious how a Western interpretation of character is changing them. I definitely have opinions on what temperament quirks I find undesirable.
I think this would be a REALLY interesting topic! Would you make a new thread on it so we can all jump in and keep this thread about Hokkaido? I really want to go there, but Im leery of derailing Yume's topic over it.
So I thought I'd make a thread for everyone who was interested.

Comments

• For a little background, there was an awesome discussion a few years ago with a similar purpose. Lots of good points were made, if I have time later I'll try to pull some quotes out.

Have things changed or progressed since this post?

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/4827/nihonken-temperament/p1

One thing I noticed was people thought Shikoku and Kai should maintain a sharper working temperament, so as not to become a "larger Shiba." I don't consider the Shiba temperament ruined though, with my own and others as examples of the variety out there, good and bad.

Another point was the importance of a mother's temperament and a stable environment while she is pregnant and rearing pups. Interesting stuff.

From what I have seen of the breeds collectively, the biggest issue I see is reactivity, both dog and human. And as mentioned by @lindsayt in the other thread, poor impulse control and separation anxiety / barrier frustration.
  • Anyway, I guess I'll put my two cents in-- from things I've heard from Bonnie, who helped me raise my Kishu litter, and from conversations I've overheard or been part of both on the forums and off...

I think the traits that are selected for in the Japanese breeds in Japan are somewhat overwhelming for most pet owners in general - not just "western" pet owners. Bonnie told me that she rarely placed dogs (Shiba) as pets, partly because of this - she didn't want to change the temperament on her dogs and most people couldn't handle what a Shiba was, iirc.

I think that's true of most of the Japanese breeds. They aren't "unicorns" in that no other dogs ever have shown the traits they do, but they are a somewhat uncommon combination of characteristics that make them difficult for some people to own as companions, so I think it's natural for people (breeders) to want to alter the temperament or breed toward something they find appealing in order to produce a dog that might be more popular as a pet. At the same time, I have a difficult time feeling the same...

I don't really find their impulse control and barrier frustration to be huuuuge issues and I don't think it makes them any harder to own than what I'm used to, but my history with dogs is in Malamutes and Akitas, so while the Shikoku and Kishu were certainly more "intense" in their reactions for the most part (as a generalization), they weren't nearly as big, which made them kind of the same level of difficulty for me, and something I like as a companion. The thing I would want to fix, if I came across it in my own breeding, is the aggressive reactions to humans... but I also wonder if that could have been avoided in some dogs with more careful socialization in the beginning and stricter behavior modification in the end. TK, for example, is becoming less and less reactive to humans (though I can't have him get pet by strangers) - and he's happy to be surrounded by people as long as no one is trying to touch him.

For the Kishu, I'd love to produce more dogs like Nami. I think she's the perfect Kishu - she's very confident, recovers easily from things that do spook her momentarily, extremely tolerant of people, and kind of a "go anywhere, do anything" dog with me. She doesn't like strange dogs, but I think that's normal for a lot of dogs - not just the NK - and may have more to do with her early experiences, as her daughter gets along very well with other dogs (still - let's see if that stays true after she turns 2). Even though Nami dislikes other dogs, she isn't reactive to them, though - and I think I'd like to keep that. It makes her much easier to manage/handle (though it comes as a surprise to some when she IS ultimately aggressive, since she doesn't give a lot of drama beforehand).
  • This is a fascinating discussion (and the referenced thread too).

My two cents, for what it's worth: I have to say, what draws me to NK breeds are their unique temperaments. I really hope it doesn't get "bred" out of them.

While Takeo is a high-prey drive dog, and can be shikoku-rude, we have been able to work hard on his manners, and similar to TK, is able to be around people as long as people aren't trying to pet him. Dogs are on/off depending on the company. But with all its challenges, I wouldn't change it for the world :) even having met calmer/softer shikoku, I love how special he is. I would still want another Shikoku - though I certainly wouldn't recommend the breed to anyone who wants a more "traditional" western dog.

My Shiba Grayson has his moments, while very easy going, he still has his Shiba moments, being picky about who to play with, and is very independent.

Though my experience with other NK breeds are limited, I wouldn't want them changed :) there's something so special about their temperament that will continue to draw me to these breeds. And losing that, would seem to do more harm than good.
  • edited November 2015
    I have a question, which I asked a while back but CBA to find the post right now:

What are we preserving them for?

If the "correct" temperament makes them unsuitable as pets, and they're not needed for their traditional jobs anymore (hunting has been taken over by western breeds and become more of a hobby than a way of life, anyway) what is the purpose of keeping "correct" temperament that nobody uses?

[This is meant to stir discussion and has nothing to do with my opinion on the matter.]
  • I don't think their current temperament makes Kishu unsuitable as pets (I won't speak on the other breeds), and my Kishu are from hunting lines, still being used to hunt... but I know not everyone will think my Kishu have the ideal temperament for them. They are probably more intense in their reactions than show line Kishu (see: any time we see a cat and the Fionna video of me throwing a rock into the water for TK), but that is super anecdotal right now, since I don't have the experience to back it up...

Also anecdotal, but I'very found Kishu with show lines behind them appear to be less open to people... but I don't know if that's nature or nurtue... correlation doesn't mean causation, and all that...

I think it's good to remove some of the anxiety that seems inherent in the breeds, but the line where anxiety beings and other more desirable traits end might be muddy...
  • So what is "correct" type?

My original question is not really about should we, or should we not, soften or "ruin" Nihon Ken temperament. More to the point, outside of Japan, do we interpret what is "correct" differently? (I think yes.)

It goes back to the three facets of traditional Nihon Ken temperament, Kan-i, Ryosei, and Soboku..
    "KAN- I" means strength of character and dignity. Dogs may be lively and
    bold without being excessively aggressive to the point of noble excellence.
    "RYOSEI" means faithful and obedient. Dogs should have total trust and
    attachment to the owners expressing full bond and partnership.
    "SOBOKU" means natural beauty from seasoned maturity and modest
    appearance. Its expression is feeling of refined simplicity and sober
    elegance.
    http://yokohamaatsumi.the-ninja.jp/page006.html

My interpretation - These call for a well-balanced dog, physically and mentally. A dog capable of working together with people, but not reliant or needy. Solid and composed, confident. I don't see any place for reactivity, anxiety, and fearfulness in this description. Everything in moderation, without excess. I further interpret this as having a balance between working drive and companionship, or having an "off" switch and being able to relax when called for.

@Crispy, I actually think your Kishu fit this, as well as @ayk's Jindo. Happy to be out catching critters, but also content to schmooze with people. Making the most of it as it comes. :)

More relevant reading (primarily about Shikoku, but still applicable)
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/7059/a-thought-on-the-shikokus-decline-in-japan-/p1

What I summarize from this is that in Japan these dogs are treated as livestock, and rarely worked anymore. They are presented as an illusion of wildness in beauty contests, and sharpness is rewarded. Training, or otherwise bonding with the dogs, is a foreign concept.

We might be used to these dogs being difficult - but is that really how they should be? And then @PoetikDragon's point, what's the merit of preserving an unusable breed?
  • Here are my two thoughts:

First, I agree that although some NK traits make them not the best choice for everyone, I do still think they make excellent pets for the right people. I'm sure we can all agree on that. That's why we're here, right? That said, I think that's where it becomes important for breeders and advocates of the breeds to really be upfront about the breeds and what their characteristics are. If pups are matched with suitable homes that understand the NK needs and temperament, then there shouldn't be any push to change or mellow out the breeds.

Secondly, I do think we have some responsibility to the dogs to make their lives enjoyable. What I mean by that is, for example, trying to breed out some of that anxiety, like @Crispy said. A dog that is standoffish with strangers is fine (and maybe desirable to a lot of folks) but a dog that is reactive or stressed out by strangers isn't pleasant for the owner OR the dog. Some goes for dogs that aren't fond of other dogs. I'm lucky in that my Shikoku loves other dogs, but I'd be fine too if she were indifferent. As long as she's not stressed out. I think that's where confidence comes into play. I guess that's my interpretation of "Kan-i"... Confidence, but not in an in-your-face way.
  • @zandrame - I think in the discussion though, we fall into the danger of painting all responsible breeders with the same brush. One could make the argument that the interpretation of the standard is a continually evolving thing because there are trends within the larger group of breeders when it comes to interpretation of the standard (for both temperament, and imo, physical appearance). That is true for both sides of the ocean.

I suspect that what most of us percieve as the interpretation of the standard for character in Japan is heavily influenced by the breeders that have a lot more interaction with the "Western" world. As wonderful a resource as the page from the Yokohama Atsumi kennel is, it is also one of the few that is accessible in English about the breed standard. The same goes for Shigeru's blog (@katothewalrus). Most forum members are limited by language in their understanding of the standard, no? I think naturally the interpretation of the standard in Japan is going to be weighted towards the views of those few kennels that we interact with (either directly, or more frequently, indirectly). We see what a great range of interpretation of the standard we experience with responsible breeders here, so I assume there also exists quite a range in Japan.

So I guess my question isn't whether a Western interpretation is changing the breed. I feel pretty confident in saying that the breed standard is not static across time nor the wider group of breed fanciers. My question would be whether Western interpretations are speeding up the evolution of the standard. Personally, I suspect that urbanization plays a far larger role in changing the standard than a cultural East/West divide.

Either way, great thread! Food for thought.
  • I read all of these and I guess for me, it starts even simpler, "Do we raise our dogs the same way the Japanese do?" And for me, the answer is a resounding yes. Regardless of what we intentionally do with our day-to-day approach with our dogs, I think how we live day-to-day with our dogs unconsciously already affects their temperament.

Jesse
  • I'm confused Jesse...you mean to say that you think we raise our dogs the same way they would be if living in Japan???
  • I'm confused Jesse...you mean to say that you think we raise our dogs the same way they would be if living in Japan???
    The opposite Lindsay. Seems to me like we don't raise our dogs like their counterparts in their country of origin. Sure, with smaller dogs there's more of a convergence regarding the living accommodations they have compared to their American counterparts but my gut (aka factless opinion) is that the medium dogs and up don't enjoy the same accommodations their American counterparts do. Mine have a lot of access to the house, increased interaction and relaxed time with me on my couch etc. If I'm wrong and many of the NK are also raised the same way, then I'll walk back my statement.

However, I think even by the very nature of how our dogs living with us is distinctively different that it affects the original innate characteristics of the dog. So, try as we might to preserve the qualities and attributes a breed may have originally had in its native origin and purpose, our way of raising and living with them already begins to alter that.
  • "Do we raise our dogs the same way the Japanese do?" And for me, the answer is a resounding yes.

Jesse
    This is what I am misreading?

• Ah...that's me typing and correcting and typing and editing and doing it to the point where it's contradictory. Thanks for pointing that out.

That should read, "Do we view our dogs the same way the Japanese do?" And for me, the answer is a resounding yes.

I want to tread lightly here regarding sweeping generalizations about how a whole country and culture views dogs as it's obvious it can't be accurately captured/conveyed.

However, the difficulty I'm having trouble relaying is that we inherently view the purpose and existence of the dogs in our lives differently. And that alone can significantly affect the nature of the dog and breed itself.

Jesse
  • I just hope they never lose their cleanliness, I'd never known a pup you didn't have to house train until I got my Shiba!

I've noticed some lines of Shiba are becoming yappy. My two never really bark but I went to see a breeder who had some in kennels and they never shut up!
  • Changing character of the breed would be hard to do with out changing how the breed looks. notice the coat changed drastically on the less aggressive fox. The foxes start to act like dogs and look less like foxes. I don't think western breeders should be changing anything. Yes all dogs are bred to do jobs but almost non of them do the job they were bred to do. I wouldn't change a thing about my Shiba. Or my AA nor my JA. They are perfect the way they are. I think that if aggressive behavior could be breed out them the Japanese would of done it long ago. I may be wrong on this. But I don't think they use these dogs in fight rings anymore. I believe that with generics in dogs when you mess with temperament the looks change. Look at the pit bull in the 70's it looked a bit different then it does now. It also acted different. In the 70's pit bulls were a much less aggressive dog. Then fighting rings got to the pit. They got more muscle the head shape changed to a more aggressive look and they got meaner. Now if you want an aggressive looking pit bull.(how its supposed to look today) Then you will get one that is very dog aggressive. It's the same with Akita. They were bred to hunt. Yes. But they were bred to fight also. So you get the same result. Now Akita are very dog aggressive. Very strong. American breeders have been trying to breed out aggressive behavior from the AA for many generations. I consider my AA fairly well balanced for an AA but I still can't take him to a dog park cuz I know if he meets an aggressive dog he will wind up in a fight. Breed trait. They don't generally start a fight but they are usually willing to finish it. I am rambling. My only point is that I don't think it's possible to keep standard and breed out the temperament. I also don't think it should be changed. My Shiba shows aggressiveness to humans. He will even bite me if I try to cut his nails. But. He is capable of ripping me apart and as aggressive as he looks and sounds doing it. He has never hurt me. It is just his way of disagreeing. Worth noting. The difference between our community and the pit bull community is that we accept what our dogs temperament is and they deny it. We embrace it. We educate our community about it. We don't blame the owner except for to say that owner should not have put his dog in that situation. We know that even when raised properly that our dogs have this temperament. Our breeders make sure that every potential owner knows what they are getting. This I am proud of. Dogs were not bred for looks they were bred for behavior back in the day cuz they had jobs to do.. And that's what they just look like. So they look like that because of their temperament. I am not a breeder so I only know what I learned from various places. That's just my two cents on the subject.
  • More from the archives, http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/6023/thoughts-on-the-inheritance-of-aggression-in-nihonken/p1

Big point from this being that breeders have been encouraged by NIPPO to breed for sharpness, including housing dogs in kennels designed to enhance reactivity and frustration.

I think @CrimsonO2 is saying that just by housing dogs in a different manner, we are already altering temperament. Does that mean, genetics for reactivity/aggression aside, if we remove the negative nurture component, are we no longer preserving the breed accurately?

(Not to mention the health implications of sustained stress and neurosis in animals, is a frustrated non-working show dog a more accurate representation worth emulating anyway?)

This returns to my original question - how have breeders on the forum outside of Japan approached temperament in their programs? Most of the threads with relevant topics are years old, and people who've imported dogs have produced a few generations since then. What are the results? Do you feel your dogs are no longer true to type?

Shigeru blogged about the Japanese perspective in the last few days
    http://nihonken.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-shikoku-is-not-wolfdog.html
    http://nihonken.blogspot.com/2015/11/wolfdog.html
  • So back to Hokkaido puppies...it's interesting how some of my new puppy owners are describing them in their new homes (from 8 weeks old). I think having the inside time they did with me and having a lot of new people, friendly dogs and new sounds has given them a real leg up. I don't think that changed their natures at all, just helped them be better prepared for life in the city, and I wouldn't change that at all.
  • Just to clarify, kennels do not by themselves enhance sharpness or reactivity. Just like crates do not by themselves do the same.
  • @ayk, correct. The management tools themselves are not at fault, it's how they are used. I apologize if my short summary seemed to imply that.

Full context from the source, accounted by Brad -
    When I was in Japan I noticed most of the dogs I met who were kenneled were pretty dog & human reactive. Even the Kai Ken, who are not typically aggressive dogs.

Most of the breeders I spoke with, once they heard about how we do not kennel our dogs, and therefore have no aggression issues, admitted (without me asking) that NK are better kept in a group to freely interact with each other without the frustration of a kennel or a tether. I thought it was interesting that they understood that concept but couldn't manage their dogs like that due to space and time. I also found it interesting that, due to this limitation in space and time which resulted in a specific type of kennel management, the typical behavior of a frustrated NK has become part of the breed's standard - dogs in shows over there are discounted for not showing that frustration while in the ring.

On that note, another thing that I found very interesting (and kinda sad) is that, whether in NIPPO, one of the Aigokai, or JKC (tho it seemed to be taken a bit further in NIPPO), since the judges over there liked to see some level of reactivness in the dogs they judged while in the ring, it was therefore selected for in the dogs - and even promoted in husbandry/kennel management. One Shikoku breeder I spoke to had it suggested to him by a NIPPO judge that he keep his dogs in smaller kennels in order to bring out more of their "character" (i.e. frustration) while in the ring. So this breeder actually changed his kennel from being a setup where multiple dogs shared one large kennel space to being single dogs in very small kennels (think large crate). For this breeder, he was doing what was recommended to him by a NIPPO judge in the hopes it would improve his dogs, which would improve the breed. When in reality he was really just promoting anxiety and frustration in his dogs...

• I remember that observation by Brad, and I wonder when the dogs are left rather hands-off in a group if they end up bonding and relying on each other rather than to their owner or upon themselves.

Sort of in the vein of how raising littermates can have issues if the dogs are not socialized independently of each other and don't learn to live apart from each other for periods of time.
  • I think these breeds can become very doggy if left in large groups with minimal human interaction. There has to be a conscious effort to give them alone time with people IMO or you get dogs that rely more to each other and you are not as valuable, which for me would make training more difficult.
  • I know this is a somewhat old thread but in answer to poeticdragon - I understand what you are saying but I do think that a lot of us choose the breed we have as much for the temperament as well as looks. I love the temperament of my AA as much as the way he looks. I like the fact he doesn't like everybody on sight. He won't let people in the house unless you talk to him through the door. People whose voice he knows can come on in. Strangers I need to put a leash him until he learns they are friends. I could not stand a "Velcro" dog. But there are people who would love that. I also do not like small or little dogs. Nor yappy or dogs that bark. My AA is perfect for me but I freely tell people this is not a breed for everyone and continue on to tell them why. I also agree with T_Dog, I think Anita owners as a whole have not made the fact that the Anita was bred for years for the purpose of fighting a secret, and that's a good thing. I'm a big believer in know your breed.