Breeder Question

edited April 2015 in General
I was wondering, is it better to find a breeder in the USA, or go with a breeder in Japan?

Comments

• It depends on your goals with the dog and what amount of uncertainty you are willing to tolerate.

• A breeder in the US is easier for you to have a relationship with for the life of your dog. If you are seeking a companion (a pet) or a sports dog then you want that support and to know the parents and the likely attributes of the pup. If you are a breeder seeking diversity in your bloodlines, or if the breed you desire can't be had in this country, then importing is something you need to consider, but you must really, really research and make reliable contacts and translate and have the $$$$ to import. Ayk is right. Importing is more money with a lot less certainty and virtually no support.
  • "Virtually no support." Sometimes worse than that!

A friend of mine imported a dog with VKH and the breeder in Japan blamed HIM and said it was his fault for feeding quality food and letting the dog live inside. Yup.
  • Wow. So it's hit or miss with japanese breeders?
  • edited April 2015
    It's complicated, but it has to do with having a good relationship as a foundation. If you act as though shopping for meat in the supermarket - showing no interest in the breeder or kennel as though they're all the same, looking for the cheapest price, impatient, not interested in forming a connection with the breeder, showing little knowledge of the lines or type, or wanting a "quick fix" (buy the best dog now instead of working up towards it, as the breeders before did) - then they will respond in kind. Respect must be given to be earned.
  • I wouldn't import a dog unless the goal was to use it in a breeding program. It's expensive, and generally the people who do it are motivated by wanting to preserve the breed and increase the gene pool over here.
  • Thank you all for the insight.
  • I imported a dog from a Japanese breeder. Like Heidi said, my motivations were to increase the gene pool here in North America. But first and foremost he is my pet. He doesnt show and I havent studded him out yet. Perhaps he's not healthy or desirable as a stud, but thats okay because I didnt buy him to make money. If he does go on to become a stud, then that will be awesome and great for the north american bloodlines.
  • @MapleTwinkie Isn't he over two now? Have you started his health clearances? :)
  • edited May 2015
    @PoetikDragon yes, he's almost two and a half. I was going to start the ball rolling at his annual visit to the vet. I just had a baby so things have been busier than usual. He's going to the vet next week so i'll find out what things I need. Usual is eyes, hips?
  • edited May 2015
    Yep, OFA hips and eyes. Hips is more expensive than involved than eyes, so I would do eyes first to make sure he passes that before spending money on hips.

ETA: Thyroid testing isn't common yet but I highly recommend it for our breed.
  • Will do thanks Claire.