Any breeders in carolina area? Also...

edited March 2015 in General
I was wondering if anybody knew of breeders in the carolina area. Preferably kai, kishu, or Akita. Also, how would I find out what is the best breed for me?

Comments

• If you are looking for Akitas(Americans) go to the Akita Club of America website. They have a list of breeders all across the US. If you are looking for a Japanese Akita most of the breeders on the east coast have blends(AA X JA).

This little article will explain how to figure out if the JA you're looking at is in fact a JA.
    http://www.the-jaca.org/akita-inu/how-to-identify-a-japanese-akita/

If you do find a breeder who says that breed JA, the easiest way to find out is if the pup has Akiho papers or is registered as a Japanese Akita with UKC.
  • edited March 2015
    The closest Kishu breeder might be Carleen at Kishu Kennels in Texas. I used to be in Rhode Island with my two Kishu but moved to the west coast recently. Carleen might be able to put you in touch new with puppy buyers to meet up with Kishu she has placed near you, otherwise, I don't know of any Kishu in that area... the closest individuals could be quite a distance away.

The best way to figure out which breed is right for you is to spend time with them, IMO. Attend events where you might get a chance to mee some of these breeds and/or network through the forum or by contacting breeders. :)
  • Thanks for the info. I don't think there is much of a nihonken following in my area..
  • @Jedkai - Where are you located? That may help some members point you in the direction of meeting some Nihon Ken.