introducing dogs

edited January 2015 in General
We rescued a neglected male akita with minimal socialization after his first year and is now 3 years old. We have a 6 month husky who thinks everyone should be her friend, an adult shiba and an older akita all female. The husky is not spayed yet. We have him locked in the living room. There was some growling through the door yesterday but it mostly went away. I made the crack in the door (sliding hardwood doors) a little bigger to see what he and the husky would do. Unfortunately there was a lot of growling and the husky decided all noises mean play so she bounced around the door and barked at him the more he growled and barked at her. I have the door just far enough they can see each other now but his nose doesn't fit through if he wanted to bite. I'm not sure he's actually aggressive. When we met him he would bark or growl whenever he got nervous but not in the particular direction of anyone. Should I leave it so he can watch the husky bounce around the computer room or keep him completely enclosed longer? I wish I had some type of screen door or a sturdy and tall enough gate so they can see but not touch.

Comments

• if its possible take them for a loooooong walk together (a 2nd person should be helping)...let them meet (zero - minimal physical contact) in a neutral/new environment...this should help bring the tension down and prevent a fight
  • the walk also helps them realize that their now a part of the same pack
  • All he has is a harness that I don't feel safe walking him with except to our yard and back. His collar that they originally put on him is too big with all the weight loss and could come off. I do have a head halter I use on my female akita that would make me feel the safest walking him but it could make him rather upset. We may have to go find a collar that fits but while I want the socialization I'm hesitant to take him in a pet store, especially with no rabies vaccine proof until next week when we have to redo all his vaccines. If he ever had them in the first place and the people aren't lying. There is a dog park with a training area that one person at a time uses but again lack of vaccines. Everything may have to wait.
  • :/ At -10f we are definitely putting off long walks. It's supposed to get a bit warmer again.

I think he is actually getting used to bouncy puppy at least on the other side of a door. There is some stained glass by our normal livingroom door so they can kind of see each other and there was some wiggling and interested barking back and forth. My female akita still thinks he is dangerous. She got quite upset when my husband locked them out of the computer room to let the new akita in with him. I'm not sure if it was all worry for his safety or that the dog might spread to other areas of the house. My husband feels really bad about confining him alone in a room. I'm trying to explain to him it's necessary, temporary, and far better than where he came from. The shiba is staying out of it all.
  • If you're scared to take your dog to the pet store to get a proper collar, then measure the neck and buy a couple collars at the store to bring home. You can return the ones that don't fit.

I personally don't think it's a good idea for you to let your dogs interact the way you have them set up right now. Just gets them more agitated and possibly hate each other.

I would have to agree with @gerrygelin as that is the best way to get your dogs comfortable with each other. But yes... -10F is darn cold.
  • Lots of people have questioned my approaches with various animals over my life but in the end it always works well for me. That's why I don't hang out on dog or horse forums often. Other peoples' approaches fail for me and mine seem wrong to them when the same results happen eventually. I do take the opinions and approaches of other people in to consideration. I just usually reach a different conclusion to act on.
  • @shawna your absolutely right everybody's methods are different..and I was just suggesting something that works for me ...anyhow I would love to hear the outcome so give some updates if possible :-c
  • I agree with you on taking it slow. Since you're unsure of his health right now, I wouldn't risk your other dogs getting something (even if they are vaccinated) or him maybe not feeling well and being more grumpy with them. Obviously the dogs are aware of each others presence in the house and it seems like the new boy is learning not to be scared/defensive. When will he be able to go to the vet?

Weather permitting, walks together is a good step toward getting them used to each other. My dog does best meeting new dogs off leash with a chain link fence separating them. If the other dog is nice, then he is too. I don't know if you have a park or somewhere you could try that? Also, I prefer the martingale collar since they won't tighten completely (and cut off the air supply), but will just enough so your dog doesn't get loose. My dog can easily pop out of a regular collar, so he only uses it for his rabies tag. I wouldn't feel safe walking him without a martingale collar or choke chain.
  • I would utilize dog doors as much as possible so that they can see and smell each other without having to directly interact with each other so that they can get used to being in the same space together. Good luck!
  • Since walking together isn't an option, I would give the akita some time to explore when your husky is in another part of the house or outside, if possible. That way she can sniff around new parts of your house and get used to the smell of your other dogs, as well as leave her scent too.

A secure baby gate (or maybe those ready made trellis panels?) would also be a good next step, where the dogs can sniff/meet but not touch. I think it's harder being separated by a solid door and feeling confined but hearing your other dog, especially if they are nervous. Good luck with everything!
  • Do a search on the forum for this topic, too, because we've discussed it several times before....Basically, take it very slow, slower than you even think you need to. It's best if they can see each other some though, so gates and crates could help with that. It took me 3+ months to get my male Akita used to each new puppy we've brought in the household (he also doesn't like puppies). But now he is friends. Walks help. Lots of seeing each other but not actually interacting, etc.
  • We had his issue when we brought home a Hokkaido puppy to our male adult Shiba Inu. It was bad, our Shiba didn't hesitate to rip the pup apart.

We got a really good trainer involved, the biggest thing is patience. Keeping them totally separate is not a good idea, they should always be "around" each other. He had us put crates on either side of the room and tether them so they could get close but not close enough to do any damage. And they had to always be walked together.

8 months into owning the puppy is when the change happened and our Shiba no longer attempted to kill the puppy. It's about a year 1/2 later and they luv each other, no aggression at all. There are times when we thought it would never get better but all the hard work and time was so worth it.
  • Keeping them totally separate is not a good idea, they should always be "around" each other. He had us put crates on either side of the room and tether them so they could get close but not close enough to do any damage. And they had to always be walked together.
    I agree separation doesn't teach the dogs anything. Time and reassurance is the best thing. I had to do something similar when I first brought my Akita mix home because there was a serious worry he would injure my little pit mix.

It helped that when I first got my food/toy aggressive Akita mix that he had a two hour car ride back with all the dogs in the house and me sitting in between them all to monitor. I also sat on the floor in between the Akita and my other dog to keep them apart but so they could still see each other and traded one toy in between the two of them for about an hour. I've never had an issue with possessive aggression between the two again, they just both had to know that they would get the toy eventually.

Once I was sure the two wouldn't kill each other I took them both to an empty neutral dog park and turned them loose to get to know one another. I kept a close eye, there was some growling and funny looks at first but then they decided to play and have been best friends ever since.