Odd ways Kiba seems to come out/ strange reaction to Taro playing with dogs

edited December 2014 in General
I've noticed that Mr.Kiba seems to really come out more when we have people over and especially if we have a larger dog come over. He definitely barks at the dog and seems defensive of his safe places (expected) but they always ignore him and stay away from his safe places. I think it is because he is all talk and no action.

Anywho. Kiba comes out when there are people over. He doesn't like to stay hidden. Taro (my shiba) on the other hand is SO OVER everyone and goes to a corner and sulks because she so doesn't want these peasants to touch her. Kiba on the other hand can't get enough of strangers laps.

In my last christmas party, he was all over the place with everyone. He came out of his cubby, kept jumping on the couch and into everyones laps. It was all forceful too! He would jump up on the couch and just immediately plunge into whoevers lap was the closet and force their hand on his head and beg for pets.

I wonder if having more people, larger dogs, and more noise makes him feel more at home since Kim had a pack of 9 pretty rambunctious dogs and with being a breeder, more strangers were in and out of the house.

Regardless, he seems like a different kai in these situations. I think it is positive because he always seems to be slightly more comfortable with us after everyone leaves.

One thing that is really interesting is that he is "fun police" whenever the stranger dog is over and playing with Taro. I can't entirely tell if he is being defensive for Taro (because it seems he gets more hissy with the stranger dog than Taro) or if he is upset in general because...it is a stranger dog, or if this is his weird playstyle?? I just don't know if he knows how to properly play since he was in such a large pack as the runt and was probably bullied a lot. Regardless I try to break his concentration when he gets huffy and I love that he responds extremely well when I say him say and go ACK ACK or Kiba NO and calms down. After a while, he stops being so huffy but is usually plopped in someones lap with a watchful eye.

I know Nihon Ken can have a really weird play style, Taro can have an extremely aggressive playstyle where she looks like she is trying to murder but she really isn't, so not sure if this is Kiba too or if he is being stressed. I am currently treating it as him being upset or stressed to be safe.

Comments

• It sounds like he loves the human guests but would prefer to not have the dog-guests inside his actual house. Which I think is fair...
  • Yeah I think Kiba isn't the biggest fan. But what is interesting, is that when my fiance's parents dog Ripley was with us for a bit, he acted similar, but he followed her around wagging his tail, had to sleep next to her, if she was on the couch, he was too sitting as close to her in a very comfy position, and was constantly sniffing her and even seemed kind of sad when she left. He seemed to really enjoy her being around except when her and Taro played and then he would get upset and huffy. I think I attribute some of it to maybe Kiba being protective of Taro and maybe because Ripley is pretty loud and rambunctious.
  • I would suggest that before a strange dog enter your house, that you go on a short walk with Kiba, your friend and the new dog. That way they can meet in a neutral place and Kiba can get to know this dog's movements and smells before going home.
    It might not guarantee that he'll be completely okay with a new dog, but it could help. We did that with Suki and @mdokic's Kona when we were visiting and it seemed to help a lot :) Especially since we knew Kona would be all wiggly and excited seeing us, and we thought it would be a good idea to get that excitement out beforehand.
  • Kira gets growly sometimes when a new dog that she doesn't know comes into the house, we either walk together on leash outside or depending on the dog then I will let them get to know each other outside in the fenced in backyard. We did that recently when she met her brother and they were play wrestling after about 10 minutes.
  • @sukiandluna yeah was able to do that with Ripley, but the weather has been so piss poor raining, it is miserable to do that recently.