BLUE BUFFALO VS. RAW

edited December 2014 in General
I've been debating wether or not i should transition to feeding my dogs a raw diet...i've heard so many good things about it and it sounds promising but it also sounds a bit pricey and like a lot more work. Currently I'm feeding the boys Blue Buffalo Wilderness and they seem to be doing fine on it but i want the best for my boys....so which would you say is better high quality kibble (Blue Buffalo) or Raw meat??? why????

Comments

• I just wanted to throw out there that there are "higher" quality kibble than blue buffalo. Just look at sites like dogfoodanalysis.com. Sometimes it takes the right kibble and/or flavor of a kibble to make the dog go crazy for food.

Jesse
  • Yes you are absolutely right but my boys love it
  • I currently feed Sportmix Wholesomes (chicken & rice) and raw meat. We have used other foods (including Canidae and Blue) and I am thinking about trying Earthborn Holistic (Primitive) in the future. IMO there is no simple answer as to whether kibble or raw is better; everybody has different needs and situations. In the past, we had three dogs and feeding raw without supervision would have likely caused major fights. Now we have one dog, so feeding is cheaper/easier -- period.

Personally, I like feeding raw because that's what dogs are designed to handle and their health is usually better with it (especially when it comes to skin/coat health). Most high end dog foods try to replicate a 'wild' diet which is mainly meat, why not just give meat? My dog is forced to actually chew when it comes to larger pieces of meat and bone. I wouldn't label my dog a 'power chewer,' but he does like to chew and toys don't last long with him. It's nice that he is able to devour something that won't hurt him (like plastic or fabric can) and I'm not paying extra on expensive toys all the time (we've been through a few 'non-destructive' or 'long-lasting' toys...). I don't have a set formula that I follow when feeding raw, but we are pretty close to the Prey Model (meat, some bone and organs). I usually shop at the grocery store and try to find deals. I've asked the butcher about heart, chicken feet or items they can't sell to people, but that was a no-go. My uncle was lucky and knew a butcher that would give him loads of free meat/animal products for his dog!

As I stated before, we are not exclusively raw as of now. Also, a higher quality (grain free or at least without corn, wheat or soy) dog food is OK for dogs. They won't shrivel up and die without raw meat. One of our dogs had a couple bald patches and itched a lot when we first got her; after getting her on a decent kibble food, her itching stopped and her coat was beautiful. If you feel like you'd rather stick with something like Blue, that's fine. Personally, the cost of Blue is higher than I like, though I have been able to find discounts which made it very reasonable. Earthborn Holistics is about the same quality but cheaper depending on where you purchase it.

Bottom line, if I could feed raw exclusively, I would. My husband can be slow about change, especially when it seems hard, so he would probably prefer to stick with kibble if I went out of town or something. In my situation, about 50/50 (kibble and raw) is probably going to be what we do. But who knows what the future holds :)
  • One more thing I forgot to add! My dog handles raw meat very well (I primarily give chicken, but also beef and turkey). Certain dog kibble (such as Blue Wilderness puppy food) made him have nasty gas! LOL
  • dogfoodanalysis.com
  • I forgot to say that Pa Gaw also gets fresh possum on occasion. He tried coming in the house the other night with a fat possum in his mouth! I told him to go back outside. ;)
  • Lol that's pretty dope I think I'm going to do kibble and give raw as a treat ..the breeder I got him from wants me to give him fish once a week and I'm all for it...and I think possum sounds very appetizing lol
  • Just a heads up, since you are going to stick to kibble, and if you are giving raw fish as a treat, start off slow.

Many new to raw owners make the mistake of giving too much and their dog ends up with the runs.
  • Raw all the way.

I had my dog on premium kibble (Orijen kibble and Freeze dried). Not only is raw far more healthier than kibble, my dog loves it more and it costs way less.
  • Wanted to update, we're going primarily raw once we get through more of our kibble. I may keep a little bag of kibble on hand just in case (it helped my husband be on board with my preference for feeding our dog), but no more 30 and 40 pound bags for us. :) chicken quarters will be the base of his food (about $20/month) plus organ meat. Pa Gaw has been eating raw since he was a puppy, it just hasn't been the majority of his food. He's used to chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, and probably something else I'm forgetting. oh yeah, possum. hehe ;)
  • Raw costs less? Really?
  • @bogopogo

Yes, If you compare it to premium kibble. Raw will depend on the prices in your area, but if you can get it directly from a butcher, it will be cheaper. Buying prepackaged meat at the market is not.

Keep in mind you have to invest time initially to get use to feeding raw. Eventually you can eyeball the portions.