This might sound stupid, but

edited April 2013 in General
I'm going to ask anyways...
My husband and I are moving from the deep south (Louisiana), where we have no winter, all the way up to Wyoming. We will be moving in the summer, so this isn't an immediate concern, but what do I do for my dogs feet in the snow? Shelby came from yamabushi in January, but Mya has never seen snow. I have only seen snow three times myself... Do they need booties? Anything special to keep their feet from freezing? Any help or comments will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    They will most likely be fine when the temps aren't too cold. Conker handled the switch to Alaska without many problems. Once he grew his undercoat out, the fur between his toes grew in really thickly while we were up there, he was a-okay. The only time I needed to do anything was when it was -20 or colder out (which happened quite frequently, actually). I couldn't let him go barepaw for too long or his pads might get frostbit. But a little jaunt out to pee or romp in the snow was no problem.

You could get some Musher's Secret (footwax for dogs) that will help protect the feet and prevent snow from balling up in their toes. Just pay attention to the dogs and if they start holding their feet up then take them inside and let their feet warm up.
  • Second what Pam said! I live in Vermont, and I have Shelby's brother Matsu- he never wore any boots, and while I do have musher's secret, and I have used it for Reilly, I didnt need it for him. It wasnt Alaska-level winter here, but it was very snowy and very cold.

Now, all that said, my dogs dont see pavement much and no salted surfaces here (very rural)- but when we lived in Massachusetts and I had to walk the dogs on salted roads, I took special care of their feet- Musher;s wax and Muttluks booties as needed, and wiping their paws off well if I didnt bother with booties. The salt really can chap their pads and the skin between the toes. Further, you dont want them licking that off, either. When you need to de-ice your steps, or walkway, you can buy Paw Safe de-icer, which is safe for pets, unlike salt of chemical deicers. It looks like tiny teal beads and works great!
  • Awesome! Thanks so much! I've never even seen cracked pads before since it is so warm and humid here. I would have been totally lost! I'm glad we will be moving in the summer so they can build up a good winter coat on schedule and not freeze.
  • Nuuk came to me from +20 celsius to -35 celsius and didn't had any problems. Dogs adapt quite easy :).
  • edited February 2015
    Well Bella has been having issues with the snow.. Saya's feet are fine, but Bella's having issues from the snow and today she was bleeding bit.

I'd like to get some booties to help. I was wondering if there is any that people have good experience with where they don't go flying off when the dog runs.

I was checking out these.
    http://www.muttluks.com/products.php?cat=2&subcat=1

and these.
    http://www.kondosoutdoors.com/product/76-dog-bootie-tall-single-layer
  • Muttluks are what Reilly wears, when she needs boots. I got her the polar ones- they have fleece inside. The "all-weather ones" = warm, dry weather or rain. They aren't for cold- the colored material is just thin nylon. So if it's for snow/cold, get fleece lined.

We have tried cheaper boots, but the sewing wasn't good and they'd come apart easily. MuttLuks are the way to go!
  • edited February 2015
    With the snow I've used musher's wax to keep Rollo's paws from cracking too. Lately I've found out that he just doesn't need it. He was good to -40. Though we live in a place that is just too cold for salt. There are only a couple of houses that use an ice melter in our neighbourhood But it's not long enough to give him chapped/cracked paws.

I always watch to make sure I watch him when it's really cold outside but he never lifts his paws up or even looks at his feet when we're out, he just trots along or bounces through the snow like a goofball. He loves the snow!
  • I think I'm just screwed with Mya. I tried boots, but by the time I got the second boot on she had already taken off the first one. She licks off the musher's secret, too. I've been raking her a path in the yard, but I think next year I'll just lay down a tarp or 2 in the yard. She doesn't like to walk on cold concrete, so walks are pretty much out of the question in the winter.
    Shelby had no problems with the snow and hardly anyone out here throws salt, so her feet don't get burned. No cracking either... I guess she's got tough feet.
  • Here's some interesting info regarding ice/snow and dogs feet. Saw this when the articles first came out..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/13/dog-feet_n_1204709.html

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/01/17/dogs-have-built-in-snow-boots-researchers-find/

All bets are probably off if the streets and sidewalks are heavily salted.
  • The sidewalks in my neighborhood are heavily salted, it's excessive!
    I find the salt is what bothers the dogs the most, the cold weather alone, not so much.

I use musher's paw wax right before heading out the door.

I use Pawz rubber boots if it's too cold, as I find the salt sticks to their feet and is really bothersome: My shiba has more sensitive paws, so he needs the boots at 5 F; where as my shikoku really only needs them at -40. They don't slip off, they do take some practice to get on.
  • Ok, so maybe I'm putting the musher's secret on wrong. How do you guys do it? I just rub their feet in the tub of wax until they're coated.