Tyson might be the best dog ever!

edited September 2010 in General
I woke up this morning and was using the bathroom before taking the dogs for a walk when I hear that sound that all dog owners know all too well...the sound of a dog retching. "CRAP!" I think to myself as I'm mid-flow and can't get to the dog to move it off the carpet in time. Just then I see Tyson out of the corner of my eye, taking it upon himself to move off the carpet and onto the laminate floor in the bathroom to vomit. GOOD BOY TYSON! I clean up his vomit and while I'm in process, he starts retching again. I call him to me and mid-retch he comes off the carpet and back onto the laminate in plenty of time to vomit on the laminate again. GOOD BOY!

Sucks that you guys can't have such an awesome dog. I'm just sayin'.

Comments

• Haha. That IS an awesome dog! Too bad Bella and Nola are not quite that awesome.

Hope that Mr. Tyson's tummy is feeling better.
  • lol... Good boy Tyson!
  • nice post dave lol
  • Can I please borrow Tyson so he can teach Dahmer?
  • LMAO! Good dog, good dog! This is actually something that Koda has done before. He walked over to a towel and threw up on it. Glad I left that on the ground.

This is actually one of the amazing qualities I find about the breed. They have this intuitive knowledge of what you would like them to do or how you want them to act and they do it. Yes their recall may suck, they may not want to sit on command for a stupid reason, but living with kais is a breeze compared to other breeds. They truly get what you expect or want out of them.

Way to go Tyson!
  • aykayk
    edited September 2010
    Seen that in my Jindos, too. Sometimes they even try to hold it while I place a garbage can or newspaper underneath them, and they aim for them.
  • LMAO!

I win because my house is all tile :p

---

In all seriousness, thank God, Wraith has only puked or had explosive diarrhea OUTSIDE. Makes me so happy :'D lol~
  • Dave,

Kuma is totally like that too. Actually, I can keep him from vomiting till he gets outside even. He will run like a banshee to the door and hold the vomit off till he is outside. You'll have to teach Tyson that one too! It makes cleaning up a lot easier.

But if we cannot make it to the door, we at least try for the hard flooring vs carpet! :-)
  • Aww too great, he's a real gem! My dad's GSD is embarrased so she tries to hide when she's going to retch. Kinda annoying to bend in behind the funiture to get at the vomit ;o)
  • edited October 2010
    Well, it would be time for my chocolate story now. We were doggy-sitting for my son, who has a dog, Frannie, known to crave chocolate. We fed the dogs a late night dinner, then left them to have an even later-night dinner ourselves, expecting be gone only 45 minutes. And we were very careful to make sure a plastic container filled to the brim with Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips (my husband's crave food) was placed very far to the back of the counter behind some other things (do NOT ask me why we didn't put it in our pantry or the freezer where he usually stores it)... So, we come home at the appointed time, about 45 minutes later, and the two dogs are in the living room. I come around through the dining room and see: the bucket now 3/4 full of chocolate, cover off (but a bit chewed and gnarled), a small pile chocolate chips on the floor and two very happy, carefree doggies. I estimate that 1-2 lbs. of chocolate had apparently been ingested by one or both dogs. Having heard Brian's tale of the Easter candy ingested by Frannie, I immediately located the hydrogen peroxide and instructed my husband to get the dogs outside, stake them out, and then ensure they both received doses of the peroxide to induce vomiting while I called the ER vet just for good measure and advice. Cursing all the while, he obliged, and I confirmed that if at first they do not vomit (15-20 minutes wait at most) more peroxide must be administered, and so on and so on... The cursing continued for two-three more doses per doggie. Mind you, this is now at least mid-night, we have multiple lights on in the back, the cursing is going on at a loud volume, and most neighbors no doubt have windows open because it was a pleasant summer night not requiring AC... Finally, Frannie begins the retching... volumes and volumes of melted chocolate... soon followed by her supper (thank god, I think, because it seeems it may have slowed down the absorption of the chocolate toxins somewhat?)... Anyway, no embarrassment there, and when it was all out she is approaching us with a big waggy tail and doggie smile as if to say ... "That was fun...what will we do next?". Josephine, Kai doggie, was a whole different story. She looked so miserable, but seemed to be holding it in and not allowing the retching to occur. Finally, when she could no longer hold it in, she turned her back on us. To our chagrin, it was evident not one chip had crossed her lips... For days afterward, she seemed to be embarrassed, and I think, very confused.... "Who would have thought these nice people who rescued me from the wilderness and have pampered and nurtured me would do THIS to me?"... I felt terrible as did Steve, but we had no way of knowing until the vomiting was done who had eaten what! Other than that, mostly Frannie and Josephine seem to induce their own vomiting by consuming grass, and then doing the retching somewhere in the same vicinity, so it has always been outside... Keep my fingers crossed on any future chocolate episodes... I did read that dogs who love chocolate have that crave, so the induced vomiting and other ill treatments seems to have no deterrent effect whatsoever....Sorry for the long story...
  • Silly girls! I'm glad no ill came to them though. :-)
  • It was sort of funny, but only in retrospect ... I now think that little pile of choc chips on the carpet, untouched, were probably ones that Frannie offered to Josephine, saying.. "Aw come on... just try one... it won't hurt you..." "Bet you can't eat just one..." Of course, Josephine with that superior Kai survival instinct, was not so easily drawn in... And it seems very clear that Frannie has descended from a long line of doggies with guts of steel...

Oh, another retching story comes to mind... I guess it is not always in the great outdoors... Frannie and Josephine combination, again. Brian was dogsitting this past spring for a few days. He agreed to meet us at a local restaurant to return Josephine to us. Before leaving, he catches Josephine raiding his compost heap.. why, you might ask? Seems his short-term tenant (you'll know why they parted ways after a few months from this background) around last Thanksgiving time disposed of the turkey carcass in his compost heap and, due to snow and all, he was not aware until Frannie came into his life a month or so later. So he wrested a portion from Frannie's mouth and since she seemed to leave the heap alone after that assumed it was all removed. Not so... of course he found there were more turkey parts than he knew. And as a side note, strangely we thought, when he arranged the meetup time with us he mentions that Josephine seems like she was gaining weight and he regaled us for overfeeding her. So, into the car they go... both dogs in the back seat of his Honda Accord and he is busy driving when he hears the familiar sound from the back seat. He has to stop at a light just about then and turns around to see a big, huge pile on the back seat and things are reaking, and Frannie is making a dive for it... Anyway, when he gets to the restaurant and finds a way to remove it he realizes that Josephine not only consumed bones, but also leaves and weeds and you name it. No wonder she seemed overweight ... it was all "compost weight"... Long story short, his car needed a full detailing cleaning after that episode... And funny thing, by the time we saw Josephine she had returned to her svelte self.... No more overweight doggie... No telling what they will do when they find something they think is irresistable even if bad for them!
  • I'm glad Tyson did it somewhere easily cleaned up. I hope he is feeling better.

Dink our old catahoula mix practically aims for the carpet. lol