Dog in a Truck

edited September 2010 in General
I saw a truck drive by today that had a lab in the back. Just as I was thinking how dangerous that was, the dog jumped out. It was on a leash, so it was dangling there flailing around like a fish on a line. I ran out there to wave the drivers down, but they at least noticed right away and pulled over. Then I noticed the dog was wearing, get this: a prong collar!

WOW, people are dumb. It was really awful to watch, but the dog seemed okay and hopefully they learned a lesson. I can't imagine how painful that must have been.

Comments

• *shakes head*
  • My lab jumped out of my old car once to go after a possum in a field. I should not have trusted him with the windows down, but at least he wasn't wearing a leash and I was going really slow. He was unharmed, as was the possum.
  • That's an awful story! They are lucky that dog is alive.
  • I'm glad the dog is fine.

I'm always sad to see dogs loose in trucks driving around. It just seems so unsafe what if the dog sees a bunny, cat or person etc..

Most times the dogs are not secured in anyway.
  • I wouldve started to bawl if I saw that happen. Crate people and make sure to secure it.
  • That's horrible!
  • Oh wow... That is just ridiculous. I see people around here with dogs in the beds of pick up trucks all the time. It just makes me cringe to think what could have happened to that poor dog with the prong collar. :'(

One of the first times that I went on a road trip with Bella, we were going camping. She was in the front seat in a harness with a safety strap (Yes, I have since learned my lesson that dogs in the front seat are not a good idea). The windows were down, and I was driving about 10 mph down an old fire road towards our camp site. She saw some sort of critter in the woods and leaped out of the window. It scared me to death. Poor thing only made it about 2 inches below the window before the safety strap caught her. But still, seeing my baby girl dangling from her harness was too scary for me.

Needless to say, dogs are now always in the back, with harnesses and safety straps. And the window locks are on, because Nola knows how to let the windows down. :)
  • I really like our station wagon with a grate keeping Rakka from jumping in the front. I also have a hook back there that I attach her leash to, so that I don't have to worry about her escaping every time I open the door. I put groceries back there with her a lot, too, lol.
  • lol... If I tried to put groceries in the back with my two, they probably would not make it home.