Rakka Off Leash

edited September 2010 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
I took some video of Rakka off leash today. There's an off leash portion of a park that's close to my house that we like to go to. I thought I'd post it for interest's sake, to see a shikoku off leash, and also to ask how other people's NK act off leash. Similar to this? Now, the footage is quite shaky because the hand I was using to hold the camera was also pushing the stroller with the elbow. Sorry about that. I really need to get some footage without the stroller. Also, Naomi's in the video. :o)

This one's really long and shaky, but it shows Rakka meeting two off-leash dogs, then an on-leash dog. Also, you get to see Rakka kicking dirt into Naomi's stroller (silly dog).

This video has the same husky that was on leash in the first video, but this time off leash, and you can see the meeting is much more relaxed. It also shows Rakka meeting a small dog.

Comments

• Nice videos. Rakka certainly is a good looking dog.
  • edited September 2010
    It amazing how Rakka is so much like both of our girls but in different ways. The marking the bush that she did was totally Ahi, but she's famine like Loa and moves more like Loa.

Rakka acts like our Shikoku act off-lead - like she is on a mission to do something - mark bushes, pester on-leash dogs, or hunt. The way she was pestering that on-lead dog is such a Shikoku move, they really are the punks of the NK world. lol

Rakka is super cool.

----

The most interesting thing in that video was the huskies interaction with the little dog. To me it looked like it started as predatory instinct, but when the other dog didn't react (by running away) the husky stopped and reevaluated: "what is this thing".

You could tell the owner might have had some issues in the past with his dog "praying" on smaller dogs - he was looking pretty concerned as he tried to get to his dog (while he was sniffing the little dog).

Also watch the husky's posture as his owner approaches "you grab me and I'll run".

I'd put money on that situation going a very different (and very bad) way had that little dog ran from the husky initially.

I love how Rakka walks up to the littler dog after the husky is gone and gives a sniff then goes over toward the husky like "its a dog dumb ass".

----
  • --The video is great thanks for sharing...Rakka looks beautiful BTW. She has developed a lot since your last photos. Her color seems unusual with the red behind the head and ears yet pepper on the body. Is she a sibling to Loa?

--Brad, the punk behavior is not just for Shikoku, my male Shiba is quite similar in and he is really bold too. He does best with some of the bolder hunting dogs. I have to meet a Shikoku now, I am really curious to see one in person.

Snf
  • Yup! Typical Shikoku "off-lead" behaviors for sure.
  • Rakka is a littermate to Ahi.
  • Yes, Rakka behaves a lot like my two as well. Kuma is the master of the dirt scuffing too. :-)
  • Well, it's good to hear the feedback. I know the videos aren't that exciting, but I thought it would be good to post them since people sometimes come on asking how they are off leash.
  • Mine are pretty much like that, on a mission to find things, sniff, track when they do get a scent. Koda is usually on the mission to just keep going straight. My dogs tend to stay a little closer though. Maymay may run out that far, but never to greet another dog. She has no interest in anyone but Koda. Koda loves other dogs, but he wouldn't run up to greet. Kais have social rules they seem to obide by with other dogs.

Rakka is really pretty, and a well behaved happy little girl.
  • I liked the videos! Esp. the "what kind of dog is that?" and then the "oh, they had one on the dog whisperer the other day" which, I bet was NOT a shikoku....

That's pretty much how my shibas are off leash too, except that they tend to fuck with other dogs too much, so I can't really let them be off leash if I think we will encounter other dogs.....

Rakka is BEAUTIFUL!
  • Rakka's beautiful! And she did so well off leash. Did you have her off leash from the start when she was a pup?

I wish I could do that with Panda, but the dog park by my house has way too many dogs and I can't picture Panda staying with me so nicely :p I wasn't brave enough to have her off leash very often when she was a puppy. I'm almost 100% sure that she would not have left those off leash dogs and followed me like Rakka did for you.

Thanks for the videos!
  • She is gorgeous!! Love seeing a video of off-leash as well. I'm soooo looking forward to meeting my first Shikokus in person TOMORROW when I go drive up to visit Katja and all the dogs :)