Aarrggghhh Koda has hotspots

Just a little rant, but I found hotspots on Koda's belly and the inside of his leg last night. It is obvious that it's some sort of allergic reaction. It definitely is not a parasite of any kind. I gave him some Benadryl and cream and they look a little better. Probably because it knocked him out and he didn't lick them.

Now to figure out what he had the reaction to. Koda's day went like this yesterday.

8am-noon Attended his program with 3 other dogs and 4 toddlers/preschoolers (anything could have been given to him although the teachers are good about keeping the dogs away from mealtime. They could have missed something on the ground.)

noon-5:30pm He went to my parent's house, took a nap, played with Maymay, and hung out in the backyard.

6-6:45pm We went to the park so Koda would finally go poop. He has this odd thing sometimes about not pooping at his program or my mom's house. The park is the place to get him to go.

7-8pm Went home and saw the hotspots.

I did notice the day before that I had some type of bite on the top of my foot and wondered if it was from a flea. Koda is on Advantix, but this isn't full proof. He could've gotten a flea bite and had a reaction. He could have eaten something at daycare. He could be getting some type of environmental allergy from daycare, my mom's, the park. Who knows! Poor kid.

I left him at home today to let his skin start healing up. I know it's not at the house. I haven't changed anything in our environment.

Comments

• Uggg. Sorry to hear that! Allergic reactions can be really frustrating to track down.

It's not *likely* fleas because they tend to manifest on the ears and near the base of the tail. It could be some other kind of bite though. They happen. Joey got one on his snout a few months ago. Poor guy's nose blew up like a balloon for a few days, but then was fine.

For now, I'd just keep treating the symptoms and pay attention to see if they return. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.
  • Poor Koda I hope it's just a one time thing.
  • Yikes. Allergies are definitely no fun to track down.

I agree with Dave, just treat his symptoms and hope they do not return. But if they do, maybe try and keep a log of when they return and what happens with him physiologically?

Give Koda some extra hugs and tell him to feel better!
  • I gave Koda another dose of Benadryl before I left yesterday morning, then applied a topical on him. All of the hives are gone, except for the ones on his leg that he could reach and lick. They scabbed a bit, but are looking good.

He went back to his program today, and I let them know. They are going to keep an eye on him, and I gave them some Benadryl just in case they occur again. I am leaving him there all day, so if It's there we may see it again and then have to figure out what to do.

I seriously hate allergies. They are always so difficult to figure out. Especially with Koda's social life being as busy as it is.
  • Ant bites can cause hot spots as well and it's not something that is normally thought of
  • Ugh, I hope you're able to figure it out. My GSD had them off and on (though much rarer once I figured out he was allergic to grains) and they are hard to sort out.

• Hmmm Koda was outside laying on some mighty ferocious ants up at the Tahoe house right before he got his hotspots. I was wondering if they were going to bite him and thinking he wasn't too bright for laying on them.

I think that it's Acana Pacifica that gave him the problem. I knew we were going into an Indian Summer here so I bought him just fish. Usually I mix it in with Lamb, but this time I didn't buy two bags and drop it off at his program. I am guessing that was the cause. He was acting a bit itchy right after he went to straight fish kibble. I added in some Lamb and he hasn't gotten any hotspots and is less itchy, but ofcourse who really knows if that was the cause.

Koda doesn't get any allergenic grains just Acana the days he's in his program and raw the other days. He is allergic to corn we believe, gets all yeasty.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this is a pain in the butt. :)
  • edited September 2010
    I'm really sympathetic, too, because I just took Toby into the vet because he's been pawing at his muzzle, and we found a place he rubbed raw on this lip and his paw. We can't figure out what it might be other than allergies....So he had a shot of steroids, which I'm not thrilled about, but we do want to stop him from clawing at his face....

I'm thinking in Toby's case it might be inhalant allergies, but we'll see....

so yeah, I hope you get Koda's situation cleared up, and I hope I figure out what is going on with Toby too!

My GSD was allergic to grains, to grass and to dust mites. Ugh. And in the fall/spring something really bothered him too....I didn't have him tested again once we moved out to NM, but I suspect it was chamisa....
  • Oh no poor Toby. It sucks not to know exactly what is causing allergies. I hate waiting to see if they are going to flare up again. I hope that Toby gets well soon. If Koda had an allergic reaction so close to an airway, I would have opted for steroids as well. I feel you on not wanting to overmedicate, but the face would definitely make me go for it too.