DOGNAPPING! (stealies not sleepies)

edited August 2009 in Bills, Laws, etc.
Well I'm at work posting things on the web for NY Assembly members, and I came across a dognapping story! A man in a wheelchair and a woman stole a Husky, Laika, from in front of a store in Brooklyn. I initially wanted to post here to help out, but it turns out Laika has been found! You can read their happy ending here. Now Assemblyman Lentol is drafting legislation for NY that will raise the crime of dognapping from "Lost Property" to a felony.
Property, my ass! That's my furbaby!

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I never really liked the idea of leaving a dog outside while shopping for this exact reason. At least they got her back, though it's a shame that they shave her coat
  • edited November -1
    I would NEVER ever leave my dog outside unattended, or in the car unattended, or in the yard unattended...too much risk and I would not know what I would do if one of my furkids was snatched.
  • edited August 2009
    Oh the wheelchair scam an oldie but goodie. This happens in retail too.....Most folks do not want to look at the handicapped so they ignore anyone with a disability and therefore thieves use that to their advantage in high traffic areas. The chairs put them at a lower shorter distance so people actually look over them as the thieves wonder to shoplift. If they have a dog no one usually thinks twice, even if the dog is ill behaved and not an assistance animal.

It is really sad.... it puts those who do have an actual handicap at the mercy of extra scrutiny by police when there is an incident report at a mall etc.

Snf

What isn't clear to me is if the individual who stole the dog in a wheel chair or was the chair used as a prop? Maybe they guy is mentally disturbed?
  • edited November -1
    Oh my I don't know what I'd do if Bella or Saya was dognapped I'd cry every day I know that, but it's so sad things like this happens. I'm glad they got their dog back I hope they don't leave the poor thing alone again and I feel so bad for it since they shaved the poor dog.. =(
  • edited November -1
    Ugh. Dog napping is terrible. There was an article about dog napping in "Dogs in Canada" magazine about 6 months ago. A lot of them were 'animal rights activists' so called "freeing" dogs... morons. I was at a boutique shop a while ago and they were selling dog locks. They were pretty interesting little gadgets, although I didn't pay too much attention to exactly how they worked because I would never leave Mylo tethered to anything. At least it's something though.
  • edited November -1
    That is horrible. Another good reason why dogs should be allowed anywhere you can bring a baby. I'm very hesitant to leave the Brat unattended anywhere. She's too valuable to us to not watch all the time when we're out. I'd want to kill or seriously maim anyone who ever took her. Very scary.
  • edited August 2009
    Im gonna steal her Joe/Dawn, don't Maim me please :)
  • edited November -1
    hahahhahha Kristin.
  • edited November -1
    maim - To disable or disfigure, usually by depriving of the use of a limb or other part of the body.

I'll let you chose which part. My suggestion is your pinky, we could do it Yakuza style! jk

I really wouldn't though. Do you think the Universe could withstand that much Shibaevilcuteness in such a concentrated amount. Katsu, Miso, and Sake living in the same house would tear a whole in the very fabric of space time. It could destroy everything! Is that what you really want? Plus you'd come back home and find Sake missing, but I'd be doing it to save the universe.
  • edited November -1
    You are right, all that cuteness would just be too much awesome for one house...