Our Guardians

edited July 2009 in Other Breeds
I'm just going to combine Luytiy, Masha, and Blue spam/news into this thread - since they aren't Nihonken - no need to litter the forum with their spam...

Some pics of Blue and Masha playing:
IMG_5779
IMG_5789

Blue...
IMG_5843
Blue: Cane Corso - 6 months old
IMG_5893
IMG_4361

Masha...
Masha: Caucasian Ovcharka
IMG_5887

Luytiy...
IMG_5916
Chill Den
IMG_4402
IMG_3924
IMG_3953

The Ovcharka:
IMG_4485

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    ***With a Kona in the background for good measure!

I didn't know Blue was brindle! WOW, gorgeous!
  • edited November -1
    Wow, I thought Blue was blue...Great pics
  • edited November -1
    haha... yea, Blue is blue brindle. His brindle is really starting to show up.

Also, I meant to mention this, Blue is incredible fast! He runs unbelievably fast for a Mastiff puppy!

----
  • edited July 2009
    you have a very nice kavkazskaya ovcharka :) both. With a very good names/
    I was surprised to see they are playing together. The kavkazskaya ovcharka is a very hard dog for me with a strong character. But yours are really friendly :)
  • edited November -1
    what do you mean no need to litter the forum with their spam?!, lol. You probably have one of the cutest but most intimidating alarm systems around.
  • edited July 2009
    Blue is busting out of his puppy mold, holy crap!

There is a great level respect and natural power your guardians seem to have, for one another and themselves alike. You guys are doing a great job raising Masha and Blue!
  • edited November -1
    Ah! Blue is brindle! NICE!
    but I cannot covet him- b/c I know he is way too much dog for me. I love his last photo...and I love his natural ears. My daughter says he is "cute to the very last pixel!"

I have seen several mastiff-types lately that have higher hips than shoulders, some owners have said they grow out of it, but is this something to watch for? There was one dog, Turbo, at the Field we used to go to who was SEVERELY long legged in the back (he looked like a dragster) and he looked really uncomfortable walking. Can you educate me? :)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    That last picture of Blue literally made my heart melt!!
  • edited November -1
    Larger breeds tend to be taller in the back until they have reached maturity - it comes and goes, their front will grow to catch up w/ their rear... kinda like their head will grow, then their body will follow, then their head again...

I do know that a dog w/ a taller rear-end would be seen faulted in the show ring.

Blue will grow out of it, his earlier pics show him level, his rear has just recently gotten taller (and his head looks small right now).

I have no idea what find of issue a dog w/ a tall rear-end could face, but my guess would be shoulder, elbow, and spine issues.

----

Really, conformationally speaking, Blue will not be perfect - for example, Blue has VERY round eyes, they should be more almond shaped. Blue's breeder pays less attention to confirmation and more attention to workability, temperment, and health. The breed has horrible hips, but Blue's are almost perfect as his dad's (and mom's) are +90% for PennHip (which is great).

Blue's father throws the round eye fault (I think it comes from the Dane), but he also throws a perfect (real) Cane Corso temperment (which is what I wanted).

Mojo, Blue's father, can jump into the bed of a Ford F350 with the tailgate up - that's pretty amazing! That's a big jump!

----
  • edited July 2009
    I think his eyes are beautiful.
    thanks for the knowledge about growing really big dogs (RBDs)! and I am glad to know Blue's hips are great.
    edited for clarity:
    I didn't mean to imply anything defective, just needed improved information about how these big guys legs grow, which I knew you'd know better than me!
  • edited July 2009
    Well I do know that dogs with high hips can be very fast with little repercussions . If his parents are good in the hip dept. I would not worry too much about being straight across the back. But do know that some dogs with great hips can and do throw dogs with fair hips or even poor. So excellent mating to excellent is not a 100% guarantee. Overall you have to look at % that meets at least good. It just is not an exact science when it comes to hips. I think more genetic research has to be done to narrow down the odds and where the genetic markers are located. Certainly we will know more probably in another 10 yrs and as more data becomes available.

Snf

Oh I forgot to mention ....I think temperament is so important, more than absolute perfection in conformation. What's the point of having a dog if you can't live with them and enjoy them at a very base level, which really revolves around a good personality.
  • edited November -1
    My thoughts exactly, what do you mean "litter" the forum with their spam?

Aren't you forgetting something extremely important? You know that all (if I'm not mistaken) of our members are very passionate about dogs, right? Just with a special interest in the Japanese kinds -smiles-.

[After having "said" this, I've actually combined my entire pack of (currently) 3 into 1 thread to try and "conserve" topic space - laughs-.]

The Guardians look fantastic!

Yeah, I noticed the brindle coming through on Blue. I think I've "said" this in another thread, but Blue is looking so mature now and "almost all grown up like." Still a handsome boy!

That's cool that Luytiy is using a cooling den too! If I stand corrected...he preferred to stay on top of it rather then inside it.

I love the last photo of Masha & Luytiy...Masha especially looks very cutesy!
  • edited November -1
    The second picture and the last picture of Blue are stunning! He's such a looker!

I love Masha's Mask. Is it common with the breed for the black to be so strong?

The second picture of L he's like "Everything is in order Sir. I've got it covered."

Oh, and it's certainly NOT litter! =0)
  • edited November -1
    I'm sure it's been answered somewhere else, but are the CO's ears cropped somehow? I can't figure where their ears are supposed to be hidden among all that fur...
  • edited November -1
    Invisible ears...it's the new CO fad, didn't you know?

lol, yeah...they're cropped!
  • edited November -1
    I love Masha's Mask. Is it common with the breed for the black to be so strong?
    >> It's common in the Reds, like Masha. The red color COs have some special traits. The mask does show up in other colors too tho, but the red COs have a more distinct one (like Masha's).

I'm sure it's been answered somewhere else, but are the CO's ears cropped somehow?
    >> As Corina said, they are cropped. They usually crop the ears of CO at 4 days old. This helps prevent them from freezing in the winter or from being torn by a predator in the event that have to engage one.

----
  • edited November -1
    Blue is gonna be a big boy!

High rear ends are called for in some breeds and I think that contributes to their special gaiting styles. Large breed pups seem so awkward until they are done because everything is out of proportion. The main thing with any dog having a rear end too high as an ADULT, or legs too long in the rear, is that the rear half ends up swinging around the front half to avoid stepping on the front feet and the gait will be off or appear to be rolling (they will opt to pace like a reindeer or like a horse trained to harness race with the legs on each side moving in unison).
  • edited November -1
    Brad, that would explain why I'm having a difficult time finding any photos of a CO with a natural ear set.
  • edited November -1
  • edited July 2009
    As Lindsay points out there is a unique movement for each breed. Dog steps by Rachel Page Elliott helps illustrate and visualize the gating aspects in canines (comes in DVD too).

To clarify my comment on the the high hips.... I am referring to the coursing breeds where high hips are not as big of an issue when seen in an adult. How high the pitch in regard to the shoulders with each dog without problems that is a good question.

In mastiffs high hips in adults can produce some mismatched pacing from front vs hind end loping and side winding once the weight distribution changes in maturity.

Ditto on what brad said earlier.... blue is young and there will be high hips until his growth plates close as he balances out and settles a bit. So no worries at this point as he runs about in glee .

I still stick by my point about temperament though and really for an average dog slightly high hips are not the end all and be all and does not really detract from having a nice companion or a decent working dog.

All the dogs are beautiful! I would say I am not big fan of the cut ears....I like the "floppies" so much better. (LOL)

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Everytime I see pics of Luytiy & Masha, I think I would really like to cuddle them, even knowing (especially having met) that it isn't possible. They are just gorgeous!!
  • edited November -1
    Yeah... I know what you mean LJ. They look like snuggly wuggly bears that just need a hug. Luckily, I know better, should I ever have a run-in with one lol.
  • edited November -1
    Awesome! Thanks for that photo.

I admit that they do look more "approachable" with ears! And more like dogs, less like a bear, lol.

With or without ears though, they are still beautiful dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Masha really reminds me of her mum / dam!

I love seeing Big L & Masha side by side like that. Get a real feel for their similarities & differences!

Blue's been getting a lot of muscle in there! Wow. Look at that Torso! ~
  • edited November -1
    Here's a fun picture of Luytiy:

IMG_6275

----
  • edited November -1
    He looks so happy :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Brad, I love it! Luytiy usually looks so serious. It is nice to see the fun side of him! :-D
  • edited November -1
    That picture is so not fair. It makes me want to play with him so badly. But he would probably just eat me. LOL
  • edited November -1
    Luytiy's legs are RIPPED...yowza.
  • edited November -1
    hahah Ditto Melissa.