A Caucasian Ovcharka!

edited July 2009 in Other Breeds
...at the little local shelter my sister volunteers at! She called and asked me, is there a dog that's really really big and hairy and starts with "Central-Asian.." something? (She's staying one state away in home-stay program)

And I scratched my head because immediately I had thought of Vietnam-Philippines, that area..(I know, stupid on my part) most of the large dogs there aren't really that hairy and most are spitze..

So I asked whether it was a South Russian Ovcharka, and she said no.. that's not what the shelter said.. but then we looked up the dog's photo at the shelter and she's right, it's not a S.R. one, it looks more like a Caucasian Ovcharka!

The ears have also been done. She told me the owner who surrendered her told them it got too expensive to feed.. -_-

It's a 5 year old female.. hopefully the girl will be pulled soon and put in a breed specific rescue.. I don't know if C.O's are for everyone, and I'm not talking about just the size...

This IS a CO, right?

Comments

• edited November -1
    It's not a CO, it's probably a Central Asian Ovcharka.
  • edited November -1
    Oh! That makes more sense. The shelter listed it as a Central Asian Shepherd. Is that an alternate name?
  • edited November -1
    Yes, that's the same name. CAO are very old aboriginal breed - very neat dogs.

They can contact Guardian Rescue for help placing them.

Did the owners mention where they got the CAO from? Is it an import?

----
  • edited November -1
    Brad & Jen, I'm not sure about the import. People don't tend to give much information when surrendering pets. Almost no one ever even brings prior vet records, and they've no idea how helpful this would be... :(

Thanks for the rescue group! Much appreciated.