BSL

edited July 2009 in Bills, Laws, etc.
Nice vid on BSL:

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    BSL= Bull Shit Law

How long will it take for people to understand the real problem. Stupid people! Stupid people who turn peaceful dogs into killers for sport, who continue to build up the myth of the dangerous breed, who make idiotic laws to appease a vocal minority who have no idea what they're talking about. This is a prime example of what's wrong with America. What's the point of a democracy if the majority doesn't rule?
  • edited November -1
    I agree, the majority doesn't rule - the media does.
  • edited July 2009
    very true. The three branches and checks an balances don't work any more because big bussiness and the media are now unoficial parts of the government. However to be clear there's no other country I'd rather live in than America.
  • edited November -1
    Commenting to show that I hate BSL but will not comment further since talking about it pisses me off and I tend to take my anger out on Errik lol.
  • edited November -1
    Lol. Yeah no need to get mad at Errik for no reason.
  • edited November -1
    Can you imagine what would happen if they outlawed all the new little designer breed dogs?? Would people start to care more?

OMG My Shitpoo isn't allowed to be in my purse because he's an ill-behaved little yippy monster?? But.. but... he's my 'designer' dog!
  • edited November -1
    haha
  • edited November -1
    If someone gets bit/attacked by a mutt, the medias default breed is a pitbull. We read an article and saw the dog of an attack, and that dog looked nothing like a pit, it looked more like a shepherd mix. We asked why the newspaper reported it as a pitbull, and they responded by say that they didn't know what breed it was so they chose to call it a pitbull. If you say a poodle bit someone, the response is more like "we that person must have been mean to the dog"; If you say a pit bit someone, the response is more like "god, those dogs are evil"

Don't blame the dog, blame the idiot.
  • edited November -1
    What really pisses me off is when "dog people" over-generalize.

When we are at the dog run, there have been plenty of times when a pitt owner will come in with his/her dog and when the cute little pittie goes to greet the other dogs, I see some owners run over to get their dog away. I've also heard comments more or less saying that people with those "dangerous" dogs, should not be allowed to come into the park. GRRR!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Those people need to meet Jessica's Ruby...that little peanut pibble will change anyones mind!
  • edited November -1
    Great video!
  • edited November -1
    I wonder when owners will realise that by freaking out over a calm pitt bull to protect their small, yippy, annoying dog (or normal, nice dog) will just cause more trouble. Huh.

Pitbulls are banned in my country :( because of the work John does with the police he sees them in our area fairly often and they're usually such nice dogs in the midst of aggressive, fighting training :(
  • edited November -1
    What always gets me is when someone makes a comment about a breed being dangerous or aggressive, only to find out they have never even met one of the members of the breed they are referring to... in some case they couldn't even tell you what a looks like!

We have had a lot of negative comments directed at Blue when I tell people he is a Cane Corso - we get "oh, that's a dangerous breed, that's that breed that killed that women in California a few months ago"... I respond: "No, that's a Presa Canario". We always get this in return: "Oh, yea, same thing, they're all aggressive - those types of breeds". :o(

We had that conversation at training class of all places, meanwhile the person's (lab mix) dog is barking and lunging at every person that walks in the door... Blue, he's just sitting waiting for me to give him treats, like a good boy.

It just feels a lot like racism, doesn't it? So sad.

----
  • edited November -1
    Our Shiba Friend Hunter was totally discrimnated against the other day. Andrea (Hunter's Mom) went to sign him up for Doggie Daycare and filled out all the paperwork. Well the girl at the desk said the woman who does evaluations wasn't there and she would call her to set something up. The next day the evaluator called her and said they can't accept Hunter because he is a Shiba Inu and they are dog agressive and don't play well. She NEVER even met Hunter!
  • edited November -1
    It is indeed a lot like racism, by its very essence believing that breed has everything to do with traits, tendencies, temperament, capabilities.. It is breed discrimination.

I've been bitten by a shiba, a lab mix and a beagle. I've interacted with tons of bully breeds/mixes and never once had to fear for a limb or my life!

Beyond BSL, which is incredibly controlling on a free will to own and care for individual dogs, is the stigma that the media places on the breed, how wording and research can save a life. Bad Rap rescue is such a beautiful beam of light for bully breeds - they speak truth to power, I just wish more of the media would listen.

Nathan Winograd had a very good article about a recent dog fighting raid in MO, he is a major player in the No-Kill movement and fair assessment for all shelter dogs. Anti-BSL and the no kill movement have a ways to go, but I think with support in the right places, lives will indeed be saved.
    http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=1583
  • edited July 2009
    I was reading up on insurance policies the other day, and was excited to see some of the great tips they had for dog owner's. Then, I read that "some breeds have a greater tendency to bite than other breeds..." Listed as possibles were the akita, pit, rottweiler, chow... I wanted to say they should have included my great-grandma's chihuahua since to date I have been around all the other breeds, and that's the only one that's come close to biting. Grr...

In all honesty, the wording should probably read "Dog owners who are lazy and lack sufficient intellect to raise and train their dogs will either be charged an exorbitant fee or lose coverage." Instead of the excess fees or loss of coverage to the good owners who have amazing dogs that apparently "are more prone to biting than others..." It irritates me.
  • edited November -1
    I've been bitten by a fluffy little white dog and a yorkie. Pretty much every pit mix or other "dangerous" breed has mauled me with kisses.

Kristen- That's total BS, with Hunter. I think we're going to need to form a Nihonken.org militia to defend the rights of dogs.
  • edited November -1
    I know Joe! When Andrea told me I almost flipped out! I am going to get Miso CGC certfied and then go "sign up" at the daycare and go off on her if she tells me the same thing. I will throw it back at her saying "So, My CGC Certified in training therapy dog (hopefully!) can't go to your daycare because he is a Shiba Inu? Okay, I have an over excitable, nippy, yappy yorkiepoo as well who is a terror, but she is a "designer breed", can she go?" LOL>
  • edited November -1
    Call us before you go, I'll put on sunglasses and pretend to be yakuza. I've found that waving a katana around and screaming in a fake accent is the only way to get results with some people.
  • edited November -1
    I didn't want to start a new thread... but in case one knows of Pit/Bully/Power breed rescues, check out this link:
    http://www.nathanwinograd.com/linked/hsmo.pdf

The Humane Society of Missouri is calling for rescues to help with placement of the dogs pulled from the large, large fighting situation. There is hope for them (and "pit bull politics" still!)

If the stigma of the "fighting dog" can be combated with the rehabilitation and subsequent positive, thorough media coverage of the achievements of a former fighting pit bull terrier/staffordshire terrier/etc., then maybe BSL will have no place in modern society. Maybe.
  • edited July 2009
    This was last year:

"The Dutch government says it will lift a long-standing ban on pit bulls because it did not lead to any decrease in bite incidents."

"Instead, the country will focus on enforcing local leashing laws and owner education programs." ---> Why can't we have that instead of increasing "dangerous breeds" bans.... ?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/06/09/20080609netherlands-pitbulls0609-ON.html?source=nletter-news
  • edited November -1
    awwwwwesome. The Dutch got it right.
  • edited November -1
    Got this e-mail today:

Announcing a new Meetup for The New York Siberian Husky Meetup Group!

What: BSL Protest and Vigil for Bruce - Washington Square Park

When: August 4, 2009 7:00 PM

Where: (A location has not been chosen yet.)

Please meet at the north side of Washington Square Park, at 5th Avenue and Waverly Pl, next to the large white arch. Bring flyers, bring signs, and bring candles for the vigil. But above all else, bring yourselves! We are going to protesting BSL (breed specific legislation) Some thing that is very important to me and many other pitbull and even non pitbull owners. THis is a day where we can stand up and fight trying to out law our faithful friends and try to ward off bad stereotypes!

Its also a fight to bring Bruce home,
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/BRING-BRUCE-HOME-X
    http://saoirse32.blogsome.com/2009/07/10/bring-bruce-home-loving-dog-condemned-to-death/

Learn more here:
    http://www.meetup.com/nychusky/calendar/10923157/
  • Bumping this with a link to Jim Crosby's blog on deadly dog attacks for 2012

He lists the attacks and the breeds of dogs responsible. Interesting information. There's even a golden retriever on there: http://canineaggression.blogspot.com/2012/12/us-overview-of-attacks-for-2012-early.html

The whole blog is worth a read (and thanks to JessicaRabbit, who first linked this blog on the forum, I believe, so I started reading it!)