I give up. YES she IS a wolf/fox/coyote.

Comments

• edited November -1
    LOL When I showed my family pictures of the day we brought Honey home they saw this picture and thought she was a cat. (I have to admit, since you cant see her face......it DOES kinda look like a cat. ahha)
  • edited November -1
    Wow Honey really does look like a cat in that picture!!
  • edited November -1
    Yeah she does look like a kitty in that picture such a fluffy looking dog.
  • edited November -1
    Sigh.......I miss those days. I can't believe how fast the time has passed. :(
  • edited November -1
    wow, I thought she was a cat for a second! That's crazy!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Tim just asked "Is that a cat?" when we got to that pic of Honey LOL
  • edited November -1
    When I was at the dog park last week I saw some large shiba looking dog from the other side of the park. We walked over and asked her what kind of dog she had. She gave us the whole "It's a hunting dog" brush off. It actually a Jindo. I thought it was pretty funny to be on the other side of a BS line, because she probably gets sick of explaining what her dog is to people. Your dog is a what, a JENGA? Ohhh I love that game.
  • edited November -1
    When I brought Tojo home, my niece and nephew (both toddlers) were pretty insistent that he was a cat, and thought I was playing some kind of trick on them. It's forgiveable, though, because they were just tots.

While Rakka was at the vet with all her surgery stuff, she was being really nippy when they had to take her stitches out or drain her wound, and a vet tech made a comment about how "this breed tends to act like that," and I said, "you have other shikoku patients?" at which point I think she realised that Rakka wasn't a husky and got kind of embarrassed.
  • edited November -1
    oh it irks my nerves when people ask and then get nasty with the word "shiba inu"..not the i'm sorry can you repeat that but a clear "what?! huh?? what is that?! a shiba what??"
    that's when i say it's a mini akita or walk away..this usually happens when i go out of town..sigh.. i have yet to declare her a fox, but i might do it next time to the arrogant ones and tell them yes, it's totally legal for me to have a fox LOL
  • edited July 2009
    When I first had Shira and took her out in the front yard my mother later told me that the neighbors all thought we had a new little white cat...Now people know she's a dog/fox/wolf/cat/polar bear cub. We were out getting ice cream yesterday with our Jug(Jack Russell-Pug mix) and Beagle pup friends Yogi and Chase. Everyone was admiring the pack of "puggle", beagle, and "OHHHH what is THAT!" puppies. I overheard one father boisterously telling his kids "Oh look at that little guy! Look at his tail! There's definitely some husky in him!" I looked over, smiled politely, and said "She's a Shiba Inu, actually." Then went back to enjoying my vanilla cone.
    Interestingly enough, there was one little boy who came up to me earlier in the evening and asked "is that a Shiba Inu?" Smart kid!
  • edited November -1
    Was at the dog park with the boys and someone walks up to me and asks if Tetsu is a mini husky. I tell her he's a shiba inu. She sees Tikaani, comments on how beautiful he is and asks if he's an Akita...jeese
  • edited November -1
    You should've said that he was an Akita but you accidentally dried him on high heat and now he's a toy breed.
  • edited November -1
    LOL
  • edited November -1
    Koda got called a Shiba last week. An all black Shiba? hmmmmm. I told the woman that he was really a Pit Bull, but he was wearing his Halloween costume out early. She just looked at me crazy. It was that look of I know you're being sarcastic, but not exactly sure why. But I had already said Kai to her.

We were having this witty raparte (sp?) on a Kai group this morning. It's amazing what our dogs can be called. I'm all for smart ass remarks back now when people don't listen to me or believe me.
  • edited November -1
    hahaha Beth, that's way too funny. Especially with their colouring. It's not like either of them stray from the way their breeds look lol.
  • edited July 2009
    Haha... halloween costume...

One thing that's nice about going into public with an Iceland sheepdog (as opposed to a shiba inu or shikoku inu) is that "Iceland" and "sheepdog" are words that people understand, so they don't act too weirded out. They still think she looks like a fox, though, and most people are pretty convinced that they or someone they know also has an Iceland sheepdog mx, now that they see Skella. Doubtful, but remotely possible, I suppose.

Some people ask me if she's a pom and/or sheltie mix. Not completely unreasonable, I guess, they're related to shelties.
  • edited November -1
    my shiba got called a mini german shepherd a couple days ago...I bet that's going to be the next new designer dog, like the alaskan klee kai
  • edited November -1
    When I go to the dog park with Oli I always get questions about what breed he is but most people start with "that's a beautiful dog, what breed is he".....I like it .....Oli really stands out from most of the dogs....he stands head up and proud....little do they know he's a scardy cat.....lol......

Steve
  • edited July 2009
    Haha, Starry, AKKs are a very carefully bred dog with GR. CHs and agility titles under their belt.. :) Designer to you, perhaps, but we can't think of any other designer dogs that were 15 years plus in the development before being available to the public..

Anyway, Yoshiki gets upset when people ask if Lilith (an klee kai) is a baby wolf... he gets insulted and asks, "Why would you think we would be breaking the law!?" ..

Then again, people who live in our same apartment complex and seen all of our dogs day in and day out for seven months still think that Lilith is a "Baby husky".. a 10 lb baby husky at 7 months old...
  • edited November -1
    I'm getting really good at avoiding eye contact when I can tell people want to ask me about the shibas. It's just easier... I like educating people about them, but there's a lot of information to get across to be accurate and I just don't have that time for everyone that asks. Good thing they are so cute to make up for all the neurotic qualities... Probably the exact reason why not everyone should have one.
  • edited November -1
    I'm tempted to make up a fake name and tell people to google it. So that they go and look up something disgusting. Usually though I just end up talking them to death about Shibas. Dawn does to.

It's funny when we're at the dog park with B & T3, Beth really hypes up the Shiba. Tetsu also gets no respect. They look at Katsu and because she's red they go, Is that a Shima Mibu? Yeah, she is. What about that black and tan one, is he like a shepherd mix? No he's the same dog.

The other day at the park I heard a lady talking about our dogs and she kept saying Shibu emu or something, and how her friend had almost got one and it fell through. I guess his credit card got declined at the puppy store. I was getting pissed so I said "It's a SHIBA INU." I must have come off pretty angry because she apoligized and never looked in our direction again.
  • edited November -1
    People constantly ask me if Miso and Sake are the same breed. I once had a woman say "that can't be a Shiba they only come in Red", I turned and walked away :P
  • edited November -1
    Say they are called "UFP"
  • edited November -1
    when you google UFP. The United Federation of Planets comes up.
  • edited November -1
    That works
  • edited November -1
    Jen, hahaha!

Wait, what is the United Federation of Planets? Sounds like something out of Star Trek ...
  • edited November -1
    I googled it and got this:

There are those who "Make things happen",

There are those who "Watch things happen",

And there are those who say, "What happened?"

Unique Functional Products

...people dedicated to "Making things happen"

A UFP is unique and functional right?!!? LOL
  • edited November -1
    LOL!!! I am having a crazy morning at work, and this just made everything SO much better! If it would not sound crazy dirty, I might just say I <3 UFP. :-P
  • edited November -1
    I usually tell them it's a fox that barks....
  • edited November -1
    UFP seems to be becoming the forum mascot.