Squirt Visits the Vet!

edited June 2009 in Other Breeds
Well, We had planned to take Squirt to the vet soon......but he ended up hurting himself while playing with Honey, so the appointment moved up a bit.

While playing tag with Honey the two dogs must have knocked over the piano bench. Squirt let out the most TERRIBLE scream I've ever heard. I thought he had broken his leg but he let me touch it and move it around a bit, so I figured maybe not. (THANK THE LORD!) This happened pretty late at night, so we made him as comfortable as possible and took him to the vet first thing in the morning.

By the time we got to the vet Squirt was able to hobble around and put most of his weight on it. But when he went to shake the rain off it must have hurt pretty bad! He yelped SO LOUD that the vet tech and receptionist both came running. :( The first thing the vet said was....."lets go ahead and take some xrays." But then we told him that we were able to touch the leg and move it around. So he gave that a try......when Squirt didnt react to his touch he figured it was just sprained or bruised. No need for xrays after all. (THANK THE LORD! lol)

During the visit we asked a TON of questions. He does think Squirt is a mix of JRT and Fox Terrier. He also says he is about 12 weeks old.

We had them give him his first round of shots....and he took it like a real trooper. We go back in three weeks for his next set. The vet said that WE Could purchase the shot and give it to him ourselves.........Um.....I'll pass on that! lol We'll let them take care of that.

So..........he's at home resting. No running or jumping and he needs to take it easy for a few weeks. We're giving him some baby asprin and that seems to help a bit. (half a tablet twice a day) Send some good healing vibes his way!!!!

Oh!!! P.S......... For some reason he seems to um.......stay.....um.....aroused ALL THE TIME! My son saw it for the first time and said..."MOM! Squirts bleeding!" lol I said "No babe. That's just his winky." So now every two minutes you can hear my son yell through the house....."Mom! His winky is out again!"

sigh............Boys!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Aww. Poor Squirt. Hopefully his leg heals up quickly and he can be back to his terrier ways. :)

No advice on his um... winky problem, though.
  • edited November -1
    I only know lots about about stressed out reactive dogs, so if to a carpenter every problem is a nail needing a hammer, then to Chrystal its stress! :)

I'll offer up the possibility that it could be "penis crowning" from stress? Meaning that in the absence of other sexual type behavior, or him being too hot, or having any sort of urinary health situation- then he could be just plain overstimulated overall and it will lessen when he becomes settled in, comfortable with his situation and routines...
  • edited November -1
    Quick healing to squirt.

We had a male dog growing up that would always "pop out" when he was hurt or stressed. Maybe Squirt is just adjusting still and now he has a leg injury to add to his stress level. Did you ask your vet?
  • edited November -1
    Lol, my 5 year old brother said the exact same thing the first time Jack got, um, excited. Jack is neutered now but it still happens when he gets really excited/riled up.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah stress will do that and so will pain. Did the vet check for a chip? If you decide to keep him I would go ahead and get him neutered considering Honey is not. Honey's chemisty may also contribute to his high arousal rate if she comes in to heat or has hormone changes. If Squirt gets neutered soon the vet can examine the leg more carefully to make sure all is aligned ok without putting the dog through any additional stress.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, no chip! (YAY!) We've made appointments for both to be speutered. :D We REALLY like this vet!! He's not the one that we went to for Honey's shots......but he's now our official family vet!!! GREAT GUY!

Kristin....yeah, we asked the vet. He said he's just being a dude. LOL He said some dogs just let it all hang out. lol But he also mentioned that with all the added stress of being hurt, still adjusting.....same stuff you guys mentioned.......it's just kinda gonna happen. Nothing to be too concerned about.

I went home for lunch today and the poor guy still seems to be in alot of pain. I'm wondering if it could be a muscle thing? It doesnt seem to be in the bone since we can touch his bone without a peep from him. It's just weird, because he, for the most part, will let us move the leg around as much as we want, but at random times while he's walking he yelps. I've been trying to figure out what motion it is that triggers the pain....but just can seem to.

It's gonna be a LONG couple of weeks. :(
  • edited November -1
    Could there be something stuck in his poor little paw??
  • edited November -1
    Hmmmmmmm.......Didnt think of that.

Like I said...the weird thing is that he will let us move his paw/leg all around....we can spread his "toes".... flip his wrist....pretty much whatever we want. But then while he's walking, he's still limping and will yelp at moments.

Hopefully it's just a bruise or something minor. The vet didnt seem super concerned and he was confident that it would heal. If it gets ANY worse we'll take him back in ASAP. The baby asprin seems to help. But only for short periods.
  • edited November -1
    Could be his ACL. That is what Piglet tore. She would allow her leg to be manipulated and even massaged, but she still needed surgery.
  • edited November -1
    Oh no! Don't tell me that! :( Would xrays tell for SURE if that's the problem!? I mean.....if they xray, would there be any doubt?
  • edited November -1
    Honestly, my vet didn't see it in her x-ray. But it was glaringly obvious to the orthopedic surgeon I showed them too. There is no reason to panic. Just keep him calm and cool. And if he seems to not be improving by Monday get the x-rays, just if the vet doesn't have experience with orthopedic injuries ask them to show the x-rays to an orthopedic vet.
  • edited November -1
    Poor Squirt. I hope it's nothing but bruising and he'll get back to his battery pack self in no time.

Kuma "pops his winky" all the time too. Mostly for cleaning, I have never seen a dog clean his thing as frequently as Kuma. Quite often he'll pop it while playing or right after playing.
  • edited November -1
    Awww poor squirt! Hope he feels better soon!

---

LMAO @ the "arousel." ~
  • edited November -1
    Whew! We are seeing some improvement!!! Thank Goodness! Squirt's putting more weight on his paw and is even starting to want to play with Honey. We aren't allowing any real play between the two just yet.......but he's starting to get his spunk back!
  • edited November -1
    Yay!!!
  • edited November -1
    Poor Squirt...wishing him a speedy recovery!
  • edited November -1
    Sounds like a job for the Schlong Doctor.
  • edited November -1
    Heidi! hahahahahha

It's so weird.....I thought SHIBA's were the difficult breed!!!! This pup has been ALOT harder to deal with than Honey! lol He's a GREAT little guy, but my goodness!

Now that he THINKS he feels better he's back to being a terror. But he isnt fully healed yet, so trying to keep his little butt still is SOOOOO HARD! lol Honey has done really well with being gentle with squirt while he was healing.....but now that Squirt is running around like a madman, Honey thinks it's rough house time! lol

UGH! these two will be the death of me! LOL
  • edited November -1
    ah ha. Sounds like a two dog household to me :)
  • edited November -1
    Puppy and adolescent Terriers are not for the faint of heart. Honey and Squirt will surely have you pulling your hair out at times.
  • edited November -1
    How is Squirt?
  • edited November -1
    Oh...he's back to being a little devil! lol Must have just been bruised or something! He's rippin and runnin like nothing ever happened! It's super cute........Honey LOVES to play fetch...I mean LOVES it. Well Squirt has it all figured out. He waits till the ball is thrown, waits till Honey has the ball and is heading back to the person who threw it....then he STEALS the ball and tries to claim all the credit for returning the ball. lol He's a sneeky little guy. And SOOO cuddly! I've NEVER had a dog that is SO attached to me! If I get up he's RIGHT behind me. When I sit down...there he is. Sometimes I mess with him. I'll sit down. Wait for him to get comfy. Then I get up and walk about four steps away from the couch/bed. Of course he follows. Then I sit back down. I repeat this several times until he just kinda stops and looks at me like...."lady, make up your mind!" He's such a cutie! Poor thing.....next month He and Honey both go under the knife for the big snip/cut. LOL I bet he wont be following me around as much after that! lol
  • edited November -1
    Glad that Squirt is doing so well!

Now, I demand we see pictures. It has been a while since we have had Honey spam, as well. :)
  • edited November -1
    Good luck to Squirt and Honey next month. Squirt sounds very sweet.
  • edited November -1
    LOL here are a few pics of the two playing.....of course no matter HOW MANY sticks there are in the yard...they HAVE to fight over the same one! lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

Honey wins....this time.
    Photobucket

Twister anyone?
    Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    Its really dark...but here's a quick play video of the two....Listen carefully....can you hear Squirt? He makes the FUNNIEST sounds when he plays!!!!

• edited November -1
    Yay! Spam. :-D

They look like they are such great friends. I love the twister photo!
  • edited November -1
    Sorry it isnt much! Those two move too fast for me to catch them on the camera! lol