Bunny and other awesome pups at the shelter

edited February 2008 in Rescue

So let's start with the biggest news. We have brought home "Mystery" now named "Bunny".

He is
scared to death of stethoscopes and even tried to eat my vet. *I need
to send her flowers.* He was just neutered and is in Jason's lap in the
guest room. We are not letting the other dogs play with him until he is
a little more settled with us. In case you forgot how handsome he is
here is a reminder.

Now
here are the pups that are still looking for homes at Providence Animal
Control. There are always new ones arriving so keep checking in.

Brody-American Bull Dog/Great Dane

Scooby Doo-AmStaff Mix

Happy Bobby-AmStaff Mix

James Dean-Pit/BostonTerrier/French Bulldog

Henry-AmStaff

Sergei-AmStaff

Lenox-AmStaff/Rock Star

Garfunkel-AmStaff (HUGE)

Noodle- We don't know what the heck she is but she is little and cute!

Wyatt Earp- who the hell knows but he is sweet as hell

Jeremy-AmStaff Mix

Jared-Mastiff Mix

FERNANDO!!!!!-The great heartbreaker! He is getting some solid obedience training and is waiting for you to adopt him DAMN IT!

Lady-the littlest pit bull. I HATE that she is still here. She is supposed to be on someones couch loving them forever.

Fergie-AmStaff Mix

You can get more info on these dogs here

Providence Animal Control

Also, I am still looking for a worthy adopter for

Miss Shelby-AmStaff-Jack Russell

She
is in foster care. She is doing awesome. She is living with a large
male and is doing great. She met a shitszu this week and got on great
with him. She seems to do better with males but is highly trainable.
And VERY high energy. She is probably not a great first dog. But she is
so lovely. If you are interested in adopting her contact me.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I glad Bunny made it home safe! Smile
  • edited February 2008

I thought James Dean went home?  Wyatt Earp's ears are nothing short of amazing.

Also, I thought we had a lot of pit bulls at the shelter here, but holy christ.  You don't have many dogs that aren't pits or pit mixes.

I hope Bunny has a speedy recovery and the integration goes well.

• edited November -1
    Ditto. And congrats on the latest addition to your pack!
  • edited November -1

The adopter filled out the application and never came back. Asshole. Happens more than you can imagine. Wyatt Earp is awesome isn't he?

We have a ton of pits. And 98% of them are WONDERFUL. The other 2% were horribly abused and/or neglected and just need some work.

All of these dogs were at one time or another someones pet. And that is what kills me. People dump their dogs like an old sweater and don't give them a second thought. And these thoughtful loving sweet animals are put into a gray cement cell for no reason other than being unwanted.

Ooooooh I'm getting pissed just typing it. I'm gonna get ready for work.

Bunny is over at the new house with Jason. The two of them slept in the guest room together. I apparently got Jason a dog.

I love it. 

• edited November -1
    "The adopter filled out the application and never came back. Asshole. Happens more than you can imagine. Wyatt Earp is awesome isn't he?

We have a ton of pits. And 98% of them are WONDERFUL. The other 2% were horribly abused and/or neglected and just need some work.

All of these dogs were at one time or another someones pet. And that is what kills me. People dump their dogs like an old sweater and don't give them a second thought. And these thoughtful loving sweet animals are put into a gray cement cell for no reason other than being unwanted.

Ooooooh I'm getting pissed just typing it. I'm gonna get ready for work."

I know the feeling, I really do.  I hate it when I see a dog listed as adoption pending, then they are still there when I get out to volunteer again the next week.  In the summer of 2006 there was a drug bust/dog bust and our shelter had about 50 pits for the longest time.  There were some with missing limbs, large open wounds, disfigured faces, etc.  They were protective custody so they could not be walked either, they sat in their kennels for probably 8 months straight.  Most of them were deemed unadoptable by all the experts they brought in to test them out.  I think only 3 or 4 were not euthanized.

• edited November -1
    That just broke my heart
  • edited November -1
    OMG, Brendon. What a terrible story. It's just awful how people treat animals. What's worse is the penalties don't compare to the cruelty these animals go through. I mean, look at Michael Vick...12-18 months. That's ridiculous!
  • edited November -1

It's true the penalties are never severe enough.  I am happy to say though that the bastard who was running the place got cancer and died, and I hope he is burning in hell if there is one.  His wife wanted some of the dogs back without them being spayed or neutered.  Our Humane Society actually ended up paying HER $10,000 just so she would go away and not get the dogs again.  That along with the $200,000+ it cost to house the dogs for months, really, really hurt (crushed) the budget.

Sorry about the bummer of a story. 

• edited November -1
    Jesus! Why couldn't the city prosecute her for animal cruelty too? She obviously knew about the dogs. She must've had an idea of how they were being treated!!! I can't believe the Humane Society had to pay that b!*@## off. That makes me so mad. I .... grrrr.
  • edited November -1

Charges were brought against her in one form or another but she "plea bargined" down to probation I think.  The DA wanted drug charges to stick (to the husband), the dog charges were a complete afterthought in the case.  Also with the husband being sick/dying at the time, she was able talk about how she would be the only parent to their kid, blah blah blah, and I think that helped keep her out of jail.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they were raising a child in that environment.

• edited November -1
    You have many different types of owners, some like most of us that love their animals.  Then you have a few that also love animals too much they will take in every single one that they can to help them.  These are the people that concern me the most.  You walk into their place with cats and or dogs everywhere, they think they are doing the right thing.  Actually in the long run I personally think its one of the worst kinds of neglect.
  • edited November -1

I absolutely cannot believe the courts allowed her to keep her child! What kind of senseless DA allowed that to happen? So she got off on child and animal abuse. Brilliant. But I bet their jails are filled with speeders they sent up the river. Geez.

This is a terrible, awful thing to say, but I hope the dad suffered and slow, cruel death. 

• edited February 2008

Congrats Jess on a new pup added to your very lovely family!  Thats cute how you got Jay a dog, hehe.  He is absolutely adorable and im sure Moto and Piglet know something's going on and can't wait to meet him!  I hope everything goes well with Bunny's recovery!  Hope to hear some great stories of the new Trio!  By the way, did you get my emails at your gmail account?

Brandon - That is a very tragic story.

Barbara - I don't think i've ever seen you get so emotional.  But then again, I haven't known you for that long.  I agree with you though, it is pretty distubing and sad.  They way some people treat animals is just wrong. 

Cesar Millan seems to think that dogs don't think about the past, but there are certain things that can trigger a dog to react in a certain way due to something that happened in the past. I think his exact words were "Dogs don't live in the past, Humans do."   Dogs always move forward in life.  They just need a leader to lead them through it step by step.  I don't know if this is true or not, but it gives some hope to those pups who were abused or abandoned that they can someday have a normal happy life with no bad memories of their horrible past.  I don't know if that made sense or not...

• edited November -1

Romi I confess I have 5 gmail accounts. I haven't checked 4 of them in a couple weeks. I will do that right now.

Foot in mouth

• edited November -1

Romi. You caught me. Kids and Animals are my weakness. How can people victimize them without thought or regard. Makes me crazy.

Jess...geez. 5 gmails accounts? Wow.