I give up. YES she IS a wolf/fox/coyote.

Comments

• edited November -1
    OMG - how do you get a cat from a Shiba or Shikoku? They look nothing like a cat! Not much like a fox either (for Shikoku), more like a coyote. Shiba do look a bit fox like (red, pointy faces, smaller). But still, come on people!

Heidi, I love the Guy1 and Guy2 discussion - that made me laugh!
  • edited April 2009
    When I first got Sake she was 4.5lbs and everyone thought she was a kitten.
  • edited November -1
    When I play with the pen light, they act amazing feline in their pouncing techniques, especially with the pointy ears. But seriously, how many 25 lb cats with curly tails are there???
  • edited November -1
    With my shiba I usually get fox or little wolf, but one guy said that "he looks exactly like a reindeer!"
  • edited November -1
    Reindeer? Now that is a new one!
  • edited November -1
    I guess they mistook her naughty horns as antlers
  • edited November -1
    ... think he just heard the word reindeer somewhere and tried to be cool...cant think of another excuse :)

Shibas ressemble foxes.. BUT everybody who has ever seen a pic of a fox nows that Shibas arent ones... think people have lost their ability to look concentrated on things... they just have a glance and than theres a fixed idea in their mind and nothing can prove that they are wrong cause they wont look right again...

thinking Sake is a cat.. damn...I wont yell if they think hes a icebear.. but a cat??? hello??
  • edited November -1
    If you just look at Sake's ears and legs...I can see how one would think cat :P

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    That picture was when she was 3 weeks old, when I got her she was much bigger and more dog looking, but people still asked if she was a kitten.
  • edited November -1
    Having seen many coyote and fox, and then having finally met a Shiba Inu - and a red one at that - i would have to say yes, there is a resemblance, but not enough to mix that often. The tail alone is a huge give away.

However, having lived in the country for most of my life, I have found some people's knowledge of animals in general to be quite sparse. I once had someone mix up sheep and calves. I thought it was a fluke, until it happened again and then yet another time.

Kristin, that picture of Sake made me melt!
  • edited November -1
    Jay had a coyote run in front of his car Sunday. He cam home and said "they really do look like big versions of Miko"
  • edited November -1
    LOL!
  • edited November -1
    I would agree that the Shikoku and Coyote comparison is as close as any of these comparisons can get. It's still not that close though.

There was just a community meeting last night not far from here about Coyotes. All of these people who think it is a great idea to knock out the middle of the forest and build a sub division are complaining that the Coyotes are a "nuisance" in their (the peoples) land. What a joke. The animals are just trying to survive, and your little dog is easy pickings. If you don't want your dog eaten by a Coyote, then don't send it outside to do it's business for 20 minutes while you watch TV. /rant
  • edited April 2009
    some people say katsu looks like a bear. Lately everyone says "What kind of dog is HE?", totally missing the fact that she's wearing a pink collar, a pink harness, and a pink leash.
    My dad still can't say Shiba Inu the right way which is sad because he served in Japan and married a Japanese woman. This still isn't as bad as Dawn's boss who thinks Katsu is a Shitzu Emu, and that her AKC name is Victoria Secrets Porkchop. My favorite wrong way to say Shiba Inu is still Shibu Emu, speaking of them I saw one at the park today.

SHIBUEMU
  • edited November -1
    LOL that's the cutest Shiba Emu I've ever seen!

I'm still trying to catch a glimpse of the hard to find 'Shiba Emo' ...
  • edited November -1
    Behold, the Shiba Emo! (With apologies to whoever owns this pup...)
  • edited November -1
    LOL PERFECT Kyla!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Loved the Emo!
    :-)
  • edited November -1
    Haha. Now we just need a picture of a Shiba Nibu, whatever that may be.
  • edited April 2009
    I put Nibu into google image search and this is one of the pics that came up.

2008042825065_2323088128_2dc27313e1_b-1_jpg_w450

I guess a shiba nibu kind of looks like Speak from the Tick cartoon.

speak2
  • edited November -1
    Oh my word... lol
  • edited November -1
    I get asked that all the time about my Red Sesame Shiba Inu. A lot of kids ask that, but many adults too.
  • edited November -1
    After this weeked the whole wolf/fox/bear/emu thing is getting old now. I'm going to make a shirt on cafepress.com for Katsu that says something like "I am a Shiba Inu. I am not a fucking fox!"
  • edited November -1
    It's been done.
  • edited November -1
    where can you get them?
  • edited November -1
    I know I have seen them on Cafe Press.
  • edited November -1
    I mostly hate it when people ask me what kind of dog Tojo is and then ask what a shiba inu is. Obviously, a shiba inu is a kind of dog.
  • edited November -1
    I met this one woman who actually had business cards made out with the information of her dog and his breed, I thought it was cute but made it way too easy for people to remember the specifics.

Even though it's annoying when I'm always getting questions about Tetsu, I'm glad that they can't pronounce shiba inu correctly. That just means that that person is less likely to go to a pet store and pick one up with out researching.
  • edited November -1
    We used to hang a sign around my roommates Newfoundland with all his specs. I want to do it with Odin too. I actually had a guy asked me what Shikoku meant today. I told him it was Japanese for retarded coyote. He thought I was serious at first.
    *sigh* I should have sold him a bridge while I was at it.
  • edited April 2009
    that is way to funny. I wonder what the correct translation for retarded coyote in japanese is?

i found the shirt on cafe press, it's design is alot nicer than what i had in mind. Mine would have a curse on it, but I guess that could lead to uncomfortable sitiuations. Some little kid "Mommy look, it's not a FUCKING fox!"

http://pets.cafepress.com/item/quoti-am-not-a-foxquot-shiba-inu-dog-tshirt/369253660