Jindo puppy needs a home.

edited February 2008 in Rescue

A friend of mine is fostering a Jindo puppy and is looking for a qualified owner to adopt her. Jindo puppies are rather rare - you see a lot of adult Jindos but not very many puppies.

Jindos are high energy and need an owner that understands primitive breeds, that is why I am posting about her here.

If any of you are interested let me know and I can direct you as to how to contact my friend, Patrice.

Here is more info on Fiona (the Jindo puppy):

http://www.shibarescue.com/shibadetail.php?id=197

(Patrice was Kaia's foster mother) 

Comments

• edited November -1

another pic:

• edited November -1

Ok, call me the idiot and let me ask, why is it rare to see them as puppies?

She is adorable! <3 

• edited November -1
    Hmm, the link seems to be broken and the picture is missing Undecided
  • edited November -1
    Link and pictures work for me Dave :(
  • edited November -1
    I will put the word out. I may have a couple maryland contacts too.
  • edited November -1

I cant open it either.

I need the info and I will mention it to Chad.  I would love a Jindo, but I think he is set on the Akita.  Are they same sex aggressive 

• edited November -1

Seems to be working now. She is adorable. It sounds like she has been lucky enough to find a loving foster home.

Rachael: In my humble opinion, you should probably wait until your Akita is ready. I know you would provide a loving home to Fiona, but from her description is sounds like Sasha might get trampled. Plus, don't you think that three girls could be a bit much?

• edited November -1
    *sigh*  I know you are right Dave.  Whatever dog we get next really does need to be a boy and I havent been able to check out her info yet.  I DONT need a pup that will not continue to help Sasha become an even better lady.  I still cant see her stuff but that may be best...
  • edited February 2008

Well the site seems to be up and down, not sure what the issue is... if you keep checking it will be back up soon I'm sure.

Also here is some more info from Patrice regarding Fiona:

As far as Fiona, I suggest that folks read a bit about the breed.  I have links under her information. Jindos generally don't make good dog park dogs since they won't back down if another dog starts problems or sometimes Jindos start problems themselves by being a stink pot,  if you know what I mean.  Fiona is not comfortable at the dog park so we don't go into the gated area with other loose animals we don't know.

We have had her since she was around 9 wks old and have done everything in our power to socialize her.  She is pretty good with most larger dogs that are not dominant but she can be too rough with small delicate animals.  Fiona is a bit toy possessive and does not want to share her fuzzy toys or ball and will challenge other dogs over those items. Her behavior with male dogs is better than females as long as the dog is well socialized and laid back.

As always with any foster we have had,  if the right home does not come along we will keep her, but I know she would do best with more one on one attention or in a home with a calm larger dog (male) who can handle

the running and energy.   My one Shiba does not really care for Fiona's antics (jumping over her at 50 miles an hr or bumping into her in play).  The other Shiba is pretty good with most other dogs  so it has not been much of a problem with her, but Fiona's energy level is not compatible with smaller Shiba sized dogs or older dogs.  Fiona should mature to be much more mellow but that won't be for another year or more.

Let me know if you guys need anymore info!

~Brad

• RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    There is a Jindo named "Azuki" in our neighborhood that Ryu LOVES. He really could care less about any other dog that walks by but once Azuki comes down the road, Ryu goes crazy. I think it's the tail that he recognizes :) Azuki is nine years old so he gets a little frustrated with Ryu wanting to tackle him but he seems like an awesome, laid-back cool man... :) Just thought I'd share.... not really relevant but once again... at work not wanting to deal with paperwork :P
  • edited November -1

I had a Jindo named Hanako a few years back.  She was very protective of my family and definately didn't like anything new invading her space.  Sadly to say, she even went as far as to kill a puppy and bite 2 other dogs.  I believe these dogs need a ton of socialization and someone to really take charge.  I got her from the pound when she was 2 years old and she was always loving and loyal to my family, but once another animal invaded her space, SNAP! 

• edited November -1
    Sorry Rachael, I didn't mean to be a buzz kill. Frown
  • edited November -1
    Oh you didnt Dave, I prefer for you to look out for my girls!  Unfortunately she would not fit into my family.  She is beautiful and if we were a no dog home it would be great.  Especially with the distance.
  • edited November -1
    Brad do you know if she is good around cats? I have 3 and I noticed it said shes probably not good around small dogs, and eventhough Keira isnt small, she isnt the biggest either, probably 15lbs or so (probably about the size of Kaia.

• edited November -1

*pouts* I ask again, "Ok, call me the idiot and let me ask, why is it rare to see them as puppies?"

:P

I don't know a single soul besides you guys and Errik's mom that I would fully trust with dogs, especially with dogs with such high prey drive. 

• edited November -1

Wow, the pictures finally came up for me!  Are you sure thats a Jindo?  It looks too sweet to be one!  And the ears look enormously large to me. 

Rina - Im not sure why it is rare to see Jindo puppies, but to be honest...all the Jindo's i've ever met or seen are adults.  I think that is the first time i've seen a picture of a Jindo puppy also.  Maybe the breeders of Jindo's have a contract where you can't get them until they are older?  I don't know...thats my guess.

• edited November -1

Rina - It is rare to find a Jindo puppy in a rescue, usually they are adults. Puppies are rare in rescues because it is hard to get a Jindo puppy if you are outside the Korean community - the adults end up in rescues because they are escape artists and tend to run away.

Romi - Jindo have a reputation for that type of thing - but not all Jindo are the same, and as you are aware poor breeding can play a big role in a dogs temperament. The same thing can be said about Akita, Pits, Kai, and many other breeds.

Rachael - I think you would have your hands full with Fiona and Sasha... but she is a puppy and would learns quick.

Jamie - I dunno how she would do with cats - I mean she is a puppy so I am sure you would be able to train her to behave around cats. She currently lives with 2 Shibas, so she is used to Shiba-tudes. I will whisper Patrice's contact info to you if you are interested.

----

Here is a bit more info on her:

We work with assistance and therapy dogs and the trainer of the center is kind enough to allow me the privilege to bring my rescues in to interact and work with guide dogs in training. Thank goodness she grants us this favor since it makes a world of difference in getting the puppies socialized with many types of dogs in a safe environment as they are developing.  We keep training records on the rescues just as we would an assistance dog.

I knew we had to make sure to socialize the Jindo, most folks that have the Jindo breed don't and then you end up with a dog aggressive animal. Hence the Jindo breed gets a general bad rap from the public (shelter

workers) who would rather euthanize instead of a dog the benefit of the doubt.

Fiona and her brother (he is now adopted) where dropped off at the shelter at 8 weeks because the owners went back to Korea and could not keep any of their dogs.  These two were both were scheduled to be PTS and the shelter would not consider adopting them out.  They heard what the were and  had an opinion of the breed and figured they weren't worth the effort.

• edited November -1

Ok, I understand now, thanks Brad :)

Poor Fiona

• edited November -1

Chad gave the final say and nixed it.  He doesnt want to do anything to risk the progress we have done with Sasha.  It also wouldnt be fair to her to bring her in with Niko.  I dont think she and Niko would get along with both of their superior attitudes.  Chad doesnt have the bleeding heart I do.

I also think that it is not common to find puppies because if they are not bred properly or mixed they are very commonly mislabeled as their breed.  They are often called something else such as a shiba mix because they are very similar in personalities.  At least that is my understanding.

Brad-can we make a topic for rescues or pups in need? 

• edited November -1

Brad - I definately agree, I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down about the breed.  They really are awesome dogs, and I really miss the connection Hanako and I shared, she was my first dog that was all MINE.  So I was very emotionally attached to her.

• edited November -1
    Rachael that is a great idea! Consider it done.  Smile
  • edited November -1
    If we weren't up to our ears in puppies as it is I would consider adopting her... she is so cute.
  • edited November -1

I am still waiting for Jay to say no. I don't think he is going to. But I am seriously considering adopting this guy from the shelter.

I love him a little too much 

Yay rescue thread!!! 

• edited November -1
    I think its funny how the dogs in need are the most cute, gorgeous dogs i have ever seen.  And when I see little designer dogs...im kind of like eh...whatever.   He has a beautiful brindle coat and his face is to die for!   Him and Fernando, breaks my heart. 
  • edited November -1
    Ditto that Romi!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Brad
  • edited November -1
    JAMIE!  Where have you been?
  • edited November -1

I'm just bumping this thread up so it's visible on the first page - I would love to find this little girl a home, she is so cute! Tho she is in a foster home and therefore not as big a rush as Fernando.

----

If the links above do not work, try this one:

http://shibares.powweb.com/shibadetail.php?id=197

• edited November -1
    She is super cute!
  • edited November -1
    I will put this up on multiply as I can! She is so cute...and ALLL legs.