shikokus in shelter (in japan) March 22nd

Comments

• edited November -1
    Ling- I looked it up and apparently you have to be PCSing, not just traveling. To bad cause it would only cost $85. Know anyone leaving? lol.
  • edited November -1
    curious- sorry if this is a silly ?- but what is PCSing?
  • edited November -1
    yeah thats what i figured, unfortunately i dont know any1 leaving :(
  • edited November -1
    No, it is not silly Andrea, sorry, it's military lingo, Permanent Change of Station-when a military member is moving from one base to another.
  • edited November -1
    My friend in Okinawa might know someone leaving. I'd ask her if we had a time span in mind of when this all might happen if it is allowed to happen to begin with.
  • edited March 2009
    Like I said before, if these dogs can coexist or be rehabed to coexist with Miso and Sake I would be willing to adopt one. $$ isn't really an issue, it's making them comfortable and getting them here and making sure they will be okay with two crazy shibas! I have trained food/toy agressive huskies in the past so I have some experience, but not with dog reactiveness so if I did take one it I would need A LOT of forum help, but I know you guys would always be there for me!
  • edited November -1
    I notice they also have what they believe is a Kishu mix : http://www.arkbark.net/rehoming/one.cgi?id=796. What a nice little (for now) guy!
  • edited November -1
    And a Kai?
    http://www.arkbark.net/rehoming/one.cgi?id=626

Man. I could bring all those dogs home..
  • edited November -1
    Ok so getting the dogs out of Osaka is no problem. Got that secured now its logistics, my dad is unable to care for them until I get there this summer. Still checking to see about a shipper. I got the vet paper work covered through my dads good friend. I wish I could go right now, I have tons of vacation time to use but I'm swamped at work and I already put in for this summer.

Kenshi: In japan the city shelters do not care if the dogs is good or not. They will kill most dogs if they are not adopted or rescued. They dont care about their behavior. I'm sure ARK will not rescue dangerous dogs and put them up for adoption.
  • edited November -1
    Gen, I speculated that these dogs may have been considered "dangerous" because ARK says the prefecture doesn't want them adopted out, and doesn't want them adopted in Osaka-shi or Sakai-shi. I also mildly put forth the notion that the bar for a stray being considered dangerous or a nuisance is lower in Japan where people are less used to dogs and there are fewer open spaces.
  • edited November -1
    Good job Gen! What did you do to convince the prefectural animal authorities?

As far as logistics go, would it help any if your dad did not have take care of the dogs? I have no special need to wait until summer, although I can only take one of the dogs. I think Calia was the only person that had this kind of time issue on the US end, and several people have offered to foster one of the dogs if needed. Or did you mean that your dad can't really deal with them at all until you are able to be there personally?

I don't mean to press you, I am just not completely sure what the situation is.
  • edited November -1
    Maybe Corina can contact her breeder in Japan to see if he can adopt them? Or maybe even ask Katja to contact her breeders in Japan about these 2?
  • edited November -1
    great job gen. seems like there are quite a few ppl every1 has nominated to take care of these dogs til summer, if no1 is available, i will be more than happy to take them in and foster them til summer.
    let me know how it goes. am really happy to finally see these shikokus on their way outta the shelter
    thanks
  • edited November -1
    That wasn't really a time restraint I mentioned, I was only bringing it up as an option so that east coasters can still they have a chance at offering these pups a home or two.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I see now. I didn't grasp the whole chain of logic before. I don't think its a given that the dogs could only fly to the West Coast, although it would definitely be shorter and easier on a dog. Compared to not flying across the Pacific at all it seems like not that big a deal, however.
  • edited November -1
    I am also willing to donate what I can, and help any way.
  • edited November -1
    Gen,
    I was just talking to Mr Kishida from ARK, he added that ARK needs the paperwork to prove that the governor has given the OK for the dogs to leave Osaka, a letter or something saying they are allowed to leave for sure, the section/division that is in charge of this case... and whatever else paperowrk you can get.
    I think they just want to be sure of this.
    thanks
  • edited March 2009
    Bah, so what's going on?
  • edited November -1
    I am really late to this posting.

I will donate $$ toward the safety of these Shikas. Just let me know where to send the $$.
  • edited November -1
    Shipping is pretty pricy......I got a quote of about $2235.00 for both dogs with their approximate weight. This is to LAX through Pelican shipping (japan). I'm going to find out from a friend in a frieght agency to see if he knows any one thats got better pricing. Other then the pick up from ARK to some ones house in Japan to care for the dogs and shipping to US, I have vet stuff, permission for the dogs to leave Osaka covered.

I definately need some help on this one. I'm going to be out of town for a week and a half for training so until then I'm not going to beable to make much inquiries into the shipping costs.
  • edited November -1
    Gen if that's the price for both dogs that's a good deal. Cheaper than a plane ticket for 2 people.
  • edited November -1
    That price is not bad - each dog we shipped from Europe cost $2k+ a piece... and they were just pups. The value of the dollar is helping the price now I think. Hilo cost us $3,000 just for shipping at the time due to the crappy value of the dollar then.

In some ways it may be cheaper to fly out there and fly back w/ the dog.

----
  • edited November -1
    Wow....although I paid 1500 for three people to fly to and back from Japan. If thats a decent price then I guess it comes down to figuring out the trip from Osaka-someones house-USA. I would not beable to dish out that much for the two dogs though.
  • edited November -1
    When would you need the money by Gen?
  • edited November -1
    I have no idea. I think once the dogs are in a area where they can be transported, then I guess we could all figure out funding the transport part of this operation.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, I kept looking at the thread and avoiding it, just because I wish there was some way I could help. xD
    Those Shikas are beautiful, I wish I could adopt one of them. :)

Good luck with trying to get them to the states.
  • edited November -1
    Just wondering how everything's going with these pups.

Plus, I don't know if this would make any difference, but from June to July my friend is taking a group trip to Japan and may volunteer to help bring one of the dogs back. I don't want to ask her unless you guys think this is a good idea, but she said she was willing to bring back a shika pup for me if I asked for one, so she would most likely help with this.
  • edited March 2009
    Okies, I typed this on my cell phone 4 times but it deleted and didn't send each time. An hour and fifteen minutes later, I gave up and am using a "real" computer.

Romi - I can call and ask him to see what he might be able to do to help. He lives in the Kumamoto area.

Everyone - My friend in Tokyo has a business friend who goes to L.A. every other month.

She might be able to bring the Shikoku on her flight. It'll be about $200-$300 each to ship them with a boarding passenager. She WILL ask for money in exchange for transporting the dogs though. She should be satisified with $500. She's a business person not a dog person, unfortunely. So it'd be about $900-$1,000 in approximate total costs.

Once they are in L.A. I could take in the dogs temporarily (sp?), so long as they won't jump 6 ft walls. I might be able to "get away" with keeping one of them on a longer basis. I don't work everyday and when I do I only go in for 3-4 hours on average. So I have plenty of time to spend with the(se) Shikoku if there are any issues.

It makes me happy to see so much dedication and support from everybody. Thank you!
  • edited November -1
    Wow, if your friend's friend can do that, it might simplify getting the dogs to the US. That still leaves them a pretty fair distance away from those of us in the East, but it sounded like there was a lot of interest from forum members closer by. If there were any shortage of available homes, though, moving them East would involve fewer complications than internationally.
  • edited March 2009
    Corina-that sounds like the best way to go, thru your friend. I think if the decisions are made on which persons are taking the dogs in; things can move forward.