shikokus in shelter (in japan) March 22nd

edited March 2009 in Rescue
I don't know if any1 will interested in coming all the way to Japan to adopt these Shikokus, but i thought ill post this up anyways.
Both of them have been in the shelter for awhile now, I've been helping this shelter out, really wish i could take 1 of them in but there's a limit imposed on overseas base housing as to how many dogs i can have, and I'm at maximum capacity now.

http://www.arkbark.net/rehoming/one.cgi?id=598
http://www.arkbark.net/rehoming/one.cgi?id=647

Its not easy to get a Shikoku, yet these 2 precious have been sitting in the shelter for awhile now.

***********************************************************************************************

So i just received an email from ARk, and this is what it says....

Dear Ling-san

Thank you for your email again.

However, there is something tricky about the two Shikoku's. They were originally rescued from Osaka prefectural kennel, or dog termination plant, and the prefectural administration is not very willing to support private organizations like ARK. They set a unreasonable rule such as the dogs taken from Osaka prefectural kennel should not be adopted by people who live outside Osaka prefecture. In addition, Osaka city area and Sakai city area should be excluded, too. This is really a ridiculous rule because the two cities are the population center of Osaka prefecture. Naturally, we have difficulty in looking for the new family for Shikokus owing to this restriction.

I am sorry to disappoint you but this is something we have to tell you. Japanese administration can be very rigid and unreasonable at times, unfortunately. But if the person is an Osaka prefecture resident, that person can become a candidate of the dog's new owner.

Best wishes,
Sakae Kishida
ARK OFFICE

I dont know why theres such an unreasonable, stupid & ridiculous **** rule.
I just wrote ARK back, hopefully there is something i can do to get these dogs out if Gen or some1 is willing to take them.
Be it writing to the prefectural administration, or paying them a visit to work things out.
I really really hope to get the poor shikokus out.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Aww, the first Shika looks beautiful!

The second Shika/mix looks awesome and has a wonderful personality... Doesn't pull on leash and resource guarding. I wish they can ship her to me.

Not quite sure why they both have been in the shelter for about a year.
  • edited November -1
    They are precious, aren't they?!
    I'm not sure why they have been there for so long either. A possible reason is that a lot of japanese ppl really dnt know abt the Shikokus.
    Each time I mentioned them to friends/ students, 1st response is usually "tosa ken?"
    When I further explained, 7 out of 10 didn't know what I was talking about, I'll show a picture n they will tell me it's the 1st time they hv seen a Shikoku.
    Maybe it's just ppl arnd my area living in the city, I'm not sure
    But it feels like the precious shikokus r just not very well known here
    Please contact the shelter abt overseas adoption if ure interested, they might b able to work something out!
    I really hope these shikokus find a warm loving forever hm!!!
  • edited November -1
    Someone should call Shigeru
  • edited November -1
    That's sad, they are cute. :o(
  • edited November -1
    wow. thats tragic. Who's calling TheWalrus!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Where are they located? I may beable to take one of them or both. Please let me know ASAP!!!!
  • edited November -1
    595 Noma Ohara, Nose-cho, Toyono-gun, Osaka-fu 563-0131 JAPAN

http://www.arkbark.net/e/index.htm
  • edited November -1
    oh, poor babies, I'd so take them if I could...I hope they get a home, double nice if Gen(shishiinu) gets them, than we could have spammage.
  • edited November -1
    Gen,
    yup, they are located in the pretty countryside area of osaka, but theres directions/map on the site. i know they have an adoption center in Tokyo too.
    give them a call!!!
  • edited November -1
    Hadn't looked at the Ark site in a while, sad that these pups have been there so long. Wish I had seen this sooner!

Would be great if it works out for Gen to take them. If not, I can spread the word around over here.
  • edited November -1
    Would be great if you could help spread the word if Gen cant take them.
    you live in Chiba pref Shigeru?
  • edited November -1
    wow...I would have never thought a Shika would show up in a shelter...that is very sad.
  • edited November -1
    Yup, Chiba. Where are you at?
  • edited November -1
    i live in kanagawa, in yokohama actually, not toooo far from you.
    would love to see your kai sometime! :)
  • edited November -1
    I called my dad about the dogs and he may be getting them and holding them for me until I can arrange transport to US. The only problem is getting them from Osaka to Kangawa. If I can arrange them to get transported here would anyone be willing to take one of the dogs?
  • edited November -1
    Gen, depending on temperment of the females, I could possibly foster one until a suitable homes is found. I have a female boxer and a male shiba. My male shiba is reactive towards dogs so a meet n greet would first need to happen to see how they would interact. But if you have other people volunteering, keep them in mind first. I am just letting you know as a "last resort" type of thing...since I am also pretty local to you (OC).
  • edited November -1
    oh man.. what I would do for one of these dogs!
    but I'm on the east coast, otherwise I too would be more than willing to foster.
  • edited March 2009
    I would be very interested, but I would like to know more about how this would work--it sounds like a very long, stressful trip for them. Flying here from Japan was certainly stressful for me, and I got to sit in a warm cabin with TV and snacks! Is this really better for them than staying in Japan?

I have been planning on adopting a dog as soon as I got my new home in order ( I recently started a new job, and got a new place). I never seriously considered a Shikoku, since there are (fortunately for them) no Shikokus to adopt in the US, as they are so rare here, but I have always been fascinated by them--they are so beautiful, and they have a wonderful reputation.

p.s., I am on the East Coast as well (In New York City)
  • edited November -1
    I was thinking the same thing Jen! I would totally take one in if they could get to the east coast, my kids are dying for a new buddy...
  • edited November -1
    If they can come to the east coast, we may be able to take one of them (depending on personalities). Or at least foster both until they found a home.

Best of luck to these two!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I am dying for these two.... I hope they find a home soon! Even better with one of our forum members ;)
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I would so love one, but I am east coast as well...Would it be possible to have them fostered until August, and then have someone bring them to the meet up in Wisconsin. I know that some of you west coasters might be going, maybe one of you can hitch a ride for one of the shikas to there so that way an east coaster that is going, or knows someone that is going, to get a chance at these pups.
  • edited November -1
    Gen - There is always room here for a Shikoku that needs a home. If any of the other forum members can't take them, and you need to find a home for them, please know they can always live here.

----
  • edited November -1
    Thanx to everyone for helping these Shikoku - you guys are great!

This is the type of collaboration and support that will keep this breed out of mills and shelters in the US.

----
  • edited November -1
    Oh Beth what a great idea...if someone can foster until August and bring them to the WI meetup, I will adopt one!
  • edited November -1
    Gen,
    just got an update from ARK.
    the prefectural administration wont let the dogs be adopted out of the prefecture. No real reason given, besides the fact that the prefectural admin doesn't want to deal with other prefectures' rules etc. They wont even let people in Osaka city/sakai city take the dogs, basically robbing the dogs' chance since those 2 cities are the most populated in the pref.

so right now, they told me 1 possible thing i could do for these dogs is to write/petition to the governors office. no english so i will have to ask some1 to do it, or if Gen can do it?

What do you guys think? I think we should get it a shot if some1 can really take the dogs.
  • edited November -1
    My parents are fluent in Japanese. I can ask my mom to send you an email (in japanese) that you can forward or print out. Just let me know what you want it to say and i'll have her translate it.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Romi :)

This is the response i got from ARK..
    "One possible approach may be to complain directly to Osaka prefectural governor. The governor is the president of the prefecture, who has very strong political power. And Mr. Hashimoto, Osaka Prefectural governor, is regarded as really a franc and straight-forward man although he can be very strict and aggressive when he doesn't like something. If you make an email or letter of petition to the governor's room, something may change. I don't think he is a dog lover but he is a kind of realist who does not permit any unreasonable things. I dare not push you to do it, but if you are really serious on this matter, perhaps you can contact the governor.

On Osaka Prefecture's official website, there is a section named "Chiji-shitsu (Governor's room)", where anybody can email a petition directly to Mr. Hashimoto (although I guess prefectural office staff will have a look at the messages first, and they may not report every single message to the governor). The problem is, all the instructions and explanations are written in Japanese in that petition column. There's no English column for this direct petition, as far as I know of. So you probably need a Japanese assistant who can help you send an email petition to the governor. And I hear we can also use FAX to make a petition."

Im not sure exactly what to put in the letter, besides asking the governor to give these dogs a chance to find a home they deserve.
    Pointing out the fact how shikokus are national monuments of Japan, and there are so few left in Japan, and that they should deserve a chance to find a forever home to live out the rest of their lives. Also, quite a no. of people on here are already interested in taking them, hopefully some arrangements can be made.
    right now i cant think of what else to add... any input from others?
  • edited March 2009
    Maybe,in a business sense, mention how the dogs, if left un-adopted, are taking up space and money that could be used for other, more "popular" dogs and broadening their adoptability can help humanely free up the space. I know it sounds a little cold, but to a person that may not care for dogs, or have little attachment to these dogs, it may help in the persuasion.
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow, I love this forum.

If the dogs get the ok to leave, do you guys (whoever will be coordinating this) need financial help? We don't have much to offer but we have something if it's needed.