Shiba Inu Aikokai Specialty - Shikoku Booth

I've spoken with the President of BSA. She had no problems with us showing up this past year. She said that our dogs were very well behaved. She was very excited to have had 4 Shikoku and 1 Ken attend.

She believes that this is benefitical for the promotion and preservation of Japanese breeds. When Nippo in Japan hear of it, this should make them very proud. The Nippo judge at the previous show was very surprised and pleased that there were other Japanese breeds there.

For next year, she thinks that the Shikoku booth and pamplets info on the breed is a great idea. So long as we have shade for our dogs (set up a tent) and continue to have control of our dogs (on leash or in crates)...should be okay. She is going to annouce this at their next BSA meeting to get a vote, which is this upcoming Sunday.

She needs to know about how many people and their Shikoku will be attending. The club needs to know numbers, maybe they will set aside a spot for us to fit our booth and dogs.

The BSA show will be the 2nd Sunday in March.

Those of you who will be going please give confirmation in this post.

Those of you who might be going but not for certain, maybes are allowed.

I need to let her know by this Saturday, so that she can fit it into her notes.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh, for those of you who do not have Shikoku but will also be attending with your dog(s)...please let me know. So this way you can sit with us! So we can have our own combined BSKA booth/"NihonKen Forum Group" area, lol.
  • edited November -1
    I cannot attend (on East coast), but if you need any help otherwise ($$ or making program), I can help.
  • edited November -1
    We will be bringing our two Shibas, Koshi & Harlow as usual and there will be three humans. We plan on bringing a full sized canopy also. The BSA usually has bento lunches that you have to pre-pay. If you can find out how much it is and to whom people should send their money, that would be great. We look forward to seeing everyone!
  • edited November -1
    We (Jen and I) will be there with at least one Shikoku, one Kai Ken, and one Akita Inu.
  • edited November -1
    Also let me know if Jen or I can do anything to help.
  • edited November -1
    I'm sorry, what is BSA?
  • edited November -1
    Unfortunately, as much as I would absolutely love to be there to drool over the shikoku...I mean...support the club, I think I'm just a tad bit too far away :(

If, however, you have need of me for something else, please let me know :D~
  • edited November -1
    Beikoku Shiba Inu Aikokai (BSA)
    Is it in Cali (what area?) and how do you usually work out your accomodations? Is there anything special you do in preparation?
  • edited November -1
    What airport is closest?
  • edited November -1
    Here is a previous post from this past year's meet-up

It'll be at the same location, Gardena CA.

Hmm...airports, I'm guessing LAX and Long Beach Airport. Those are the only ones that I know of close enough to location event site.
  • edited November -1
    Not sure but we will give it every attempt.
  • edited November -1
    I would come, but I have no puppies yet.
  • edited November -1
    I would love to come out (even though I won't be bringing Jazz) - let me see what I can do.
  • edited November -1
    Ah California, My home state! I wish I could go, I miss that place like crazy, especially since it's freezing here now.

LAX, Long Beach (not recomended, small airport), Burbank Airport is also there which is where I usualy fly, less congestion than LAX and easier to get through.
  • edited November -1
    You don't have to have a Nihonken to attend!
  • edited November -1
    I'm scheduled to have surgery at the end of Feb, so I've got to check with my doctor to make sure it won't be a problem.
  • edited November -1
    John and I will most likely be there with Ninja and Portia - we will be bringing crates - possibly a pen so we will be able to socialize more with people. Although, Ninja has been improving a lot! Met up with Corina on Sunday and only 1 growl towards Kei the whole time! At the last show, I couldn't get within 10 feet of someone with a dog or else he would start lunging and growling, so we were pretty separated from everyone else! We will definitely come prepared this time around.
  • edited November -1
    Soo..... we just talked about it and we're 80% sure we'll be there with Keiko!!!! I'm so excited :oDDD

We will bring a crate for her and an xpen in case it's needed... she's super lovey/submissive with all dogs and people so it shouldn't be an issue, but I want to make sure she has a 'get away' spot.

We'll be doing the 15 hour drive to get there - super fun road trip!!!! :oD

(sorry for all the smileys, but just SO excited to actually get to attend something so fun!!!)
  • edited November -1
    Guys...Promise me...

PICTURES!!! :p ~
  • edited November -1
    I really hope we'll be able to go. I'll talk to Noah about it, but it depends a LOT on what happens over the next few months. Noah went back to get his final semester of university, so after he graduates in December, so whether or not we can come depends on what kind of job he gets.

If we do make it, we'll bring Rakka and Tojo.
  • edited November -1
    Question for the Andersons/Shikoku spirit/anyone else:

Must your dogs be Nippo registered still in order to participate in BSA or is JKC/AKC enough?
    Also, as shikoku, kai, JA etc aren't registerable with AKC, what registration body do you primarily use in the States for your non-shibas?
  • edited November -1
    Your dogs must be registered with Nihonken Hozonkai [Nippo] in Japan to participate in the BSA show.

Here is an explanation in English of Nippo: http://www.shiba-inu.nl/Shiba-Inu.Nl_Eng/nihon_ken_hozonkai_Eng.htm

The actual site: http://www.nihonken-hozonkai.or.jp/
  • edited December 2008
    We're in Anaheim (about 45 minutes from Gardena) and we're currently living in a studio apartment with 2 adults, 2 cats, and a rabbit AND Spaz will be here by March BUT if anyone needs a place to stay and doesn't mind the squishiness, our place is open for anyone on the forum. The apartment complex does allow dogs so no problem about that.
  • edited November -1
    I'm in Irvine, but I definitely plan to go and will likely bring Ichi in a kennel (and kick out a pen). Gardena, hmmm. I think it'd be well worth the drive to meet other forumites.

Is my say a little late on this Corina?

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Gosh, I want to go. Maybe I would meet someone of you that could translate the Nippo forms for me so I can register Ike. Does your dog have to be invited to enter this/can you just hang out and watch for fun if you are not showing?
  • edited November -1
    - JA are registered as Akita in AKC, Kai and Kishu are in AKC FSS.

-Shikoku are Nippo/JKC, CKC registered or other kennel club in Europe. I'm gonna also register my Shikoku with the Puerto Rico Kennel Club (U.S. territory) so that I will be able to register a litter in a couple of years. UKC and CKC as well.

Jesse, no you are not too late.

I just gave count to BSA president now. I included also the "maybes". So we will see how it votes. As spectors you should still be able to go watch. I believe the vote is just on the Shikoku Booth. I asked though, just in case to be polite. Those with Shibas, you already have the clearance - just make sure dogs are on leash or in crate/ex pen and cannot escape.
  • edited November -1
    And humans of course are allowed!

lindsayt - If you come to show, someone will be able to help register with Nippo. The parents have to be registered Nippo as well though.
  • edited November -1
    Oh sorry Corina, forgot to say we wont be going. I'm a paranoid momma who is not going to be letting Spaz out with a shizzle full of people until his 2 month shots.
  • edited November -1
    No worries.

Alright so Sunday is the BSA meeting, the president just wants to make sure everybody will be okay with having such a large group set up there.

Also Brad, since you will bring Kona...perhaps you and some of the other Kai ken owners can make up a pamplet? In addition to the Shikoku one. Which, by the way, we still need to make.

What should we have on them?

- Photos
    - Breed History
    - Temperment
    - Life with a Shikoku / Kai ken
    - Contact/More information - maybe we should just put the forums? Shameless advertising...
    - Fun Activities

???????
  • edited November -1
    Ok, cool - maybe I can get a few Kai Ken owners / Enthusiasts to help. If not I can do it - I can help with the Shikoku one too.

Should we start a thread for the info that goes in these pamphlets? One for Shikoku, one for Kai?

Since we will be bringing an Akita, should I make an Akita one too????

----
This discussion has been closed.