Luytiy & Masha

Comments

• edited November -1
    ah you know what a good nickname for Luytiy would be? Chewbacca!!!! He really dwarfs the other pups.
  • edited November -1
    I LOVE that he jumped over Kona. Mika does that to Keigo constantly and I find it hilarious!

Such a smart boy! It's amazing how he naturally feels the need to guard when outdoors.
  • edited November -1
    What a handsome devil. And remarkably spry for such a big dude. Somehow I got it into my head that he was going to be a big oafy, lazy thing.
  • edited November -1
    Osy and I will have to coordinate to steal the pups now! You can take most of them, Osy. Just leave me Luytiy and Kona! I'm such a sucker for big dogs, and Luytiy is gorgeous. Congrats Brad & Jen!

Can't wait to see more!
  • edited November -1
    lol Shigeru, don't you want Masha too? I'm sure she'll be a big girl eventually ;p

Luytiy is so naughty, figuring out how to escape! He really reminds me of a bear...and a little like a lion.

Brad, out of curiosity, does he pull on lead? ~
  • edited November -1
    With all due respect to all the other members of your pack, I think I have a new favourite to add to Hilo and Ahi.
    Luytyi is gorgeous and has a great confident look. I love the big guy.
  • edited November -1
    Osy - Yes he pulls on lead! He is very strong.

----

Well I have some updates on Luytiy...

The Vet Visit
    We took Luytiy to the vet today to have him Micro Chipped, it went well. He was a bit nervous [as were we] but he was a gentleman. We also had them look at his foot, he has a little spot on it that we wanted to get checked out. Seems it is just a place he had been licking and biting a bit too much. He also has been holding that leg up when he is in the office, we expected it was Pano and Stacey [breeder] agreed. The vet took a look and agreed it is Pano and so we have some Rimadyl for him.

His New Gear
    Today we received his tethers, I think they are appropriately named:
    IMG_4743

IMG_4742
    *He hates being on the tether, it seems he has a little separation anxiety from Jen. I guess we will need to work on that since he needs to be outside working! :o\ Right now I think he thinks his job it to guard Jen, which could be good and bad.

He also got to wear his Ruff Wear harness for the first time, we use it to restrain him in the car [we connect a tether to it]:
    IMG_4740

IMG_4739
    *It looks kinda funny on such a big guy. lol

The Kennel Saga
    Well, today Jen put him in the kennel but didn't attach the top wire part and he climbed out. So it seems he can climb out, and squeeze out. The good news is he can't get out with the top part secured properly.

Spam...
    IMG_4728

IMG_4746

IMG_4748

IMG_4752

IMG_4749

----
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad to vet visit went well. I'm really sorry to hear he has Pano though. I've heard it can be a bit debilitating, so the fact that he's up and about playing with Kahuna is a great sign!

You're right btw, that ruffwear harness is pretty goofy looking on him. I think the new style is pretty goofy looking in general though. The old style might look better.

The color of his eyes is striking! That last picture of him with the mountains in the background....he seems to be home. :-)
  • edited November -1
    No idea what Pano is, I'm praying it's not serious & that he gets better soon!

Big L is awesome...omg. So much amazingness. < - Yes, it's a word I made up JUST for L. No other word is deserving of him ;p

I noticed a bit of pulling with Jen holding the lead in one of the videos. & He's such a big guy, I guess it can't be helped :)

I agree with Dave the last picture is perfect. ~
  • edited November -1
    I'm partial to that first close up pic of him. He looks absolutely amazing.

So much dog envy here that I'm lost for words!
  • edited November -1
    Osy, Luytiy is growing quickly and it's wearing on his leg bones. Pano is common in large breeds (though small breeds can get it too) and Luytiy will grow out of it in time.

Brad, Luytiy is gorgeous! I hate that he's so skinny, but know that with extra large dogs, you have to keep their weight in check to allow their bones to grow strong to handle the weight.
  • edited November -1
    Osy - This might help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panosteitis

Even humans can have it, especially (as in dogs) larger humans. I remember having leg pain when I was around 13-16, during the most intense period of my growth. Around here we cal it "Dores de Crescimento" (growth pain)
  • edited November -1
    Yeah Rui my husband had excruciating growing pains as a teen. He shot up from like 5'7 to 6'5 in only a few short years.

Brad, I am formally placing my request for a CONSTANT influx of Luytiy spam. I absolutely adore him. I am with Rui that he has already squirmed into my pac of favorites...
  • edited November -1
    I'm sure Kurt went through it too. He shot up 8" his freshman year of HS.
  • edited November -1
    I had to go on calcium supplements, because my bones were having trouble dealing with all that. My knee caps had cracks.
  • edited November -1
    I don't know a single guy that didn't have growing pains at some point growing up. Some more severe and longer lasting than others. Pano is a bit more serious than just growing pains as it can have side effects consistent with a viral infection, but it always goes away with time.
  • edited November 2008
    Love all the pics. Luytiy is just absolutely adorable! What a sweet-looking dog -love his eyes... And I know he will also be true to the "beast" designation when those coyotes come calling, no doubt, but he looks so gentle in the pics! I love all the pics but I think my favorites are the very first one in this thread where you get an idea of the (current) size differences with all the way from the shiba to the mtn doggie (I know Luytiy will get even bigger); the one of him looking over the gate outside (he must stretch out to be more than 6 ft' tall on his hind legs?); and also the one of Luytiy and (I think its) Kahuna patiently sitting at the doggie gate looking into the kitchen. I'd say this second one illustrates the rapid pace of assimilation of the two "newbies" into the household. What model pack members, or a tribute to the human members of the family and their skills at ensuring a smooth integration of the family!
  • edited November -1
    I remember how painful those growing pains were - I shot up 7" from age 11 to 12, my brothers' made it seem much more painful and their growth spurt was about the same heighth change but they were between the ages of 15-17. I never really knew that dogs would get the same.
  • edited November -1
    Im glad the vet visit went well! Luytiy is amazing!!! Man - it sounds like you guys went all out to confine him! What a true escape artist! Seems like this dog will definately keep you on your toes!
  • edited November -1
    Bev - I am sure he is at least 6 feet on his rear legs. He is a tall guy!

Romi - Oh yea, he will keep us on our toes for sure. Him and Ahi. *sigh. :o)

----

Here is a fun video that shows how puppy-ish he still is [also shows how mean the Shikas can be!]:

----
  • edited November -1
    AWWW!! That is so cute! He is just a huge puppy!
  • edited November -1
    *melts*
  • edited November -1
    I'm in love!
  • edited November -1
    lol, looks like Loa disagrees with his puppyish display of cuteness.

She reminds me of my cats, tolerate but not too happy with another dog!
  • edited November -1
    Ha Ha! What a big sweetie --- can't believe how relaxed Luytiy is and how he has so quickly adjusted to all the other doggies --- smooth transition, it seems. It will be interesting to see how his behavior changes as he "grows" up...
  • edited November -1
    I wonder how much of his speedy comfort is due to the sheer confidence he seems to radiate. It's like he knows there aren't many things that can really stand up to him.
    I'm sure if he ever feels a real threat, he'll turn into a mean big dog, and I wouldn't like to be the object of his attention then.
    You guys have a great protector and friend to all of the members of the pack, I'd say!
  • edited November -1
    I took some new pics of BIG L...

IMG_4872

IMG_4894

IMG_4896

L_fence

Double trouble...
    IMG_4885

----
  • edited November -1
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

I really love him <3 L has captured yet another part of my heart. Love love love.~
  • edited November -1
    Nice spam Brad! I really like the third one with the mountains in the background. Great color too. :-)

Are he and Kahuna still best buds?
  • edited November -1
    That third pic is STUNNING!