Luytiy & Masha

edited November 2008 in Other Breeds
I figured I would create a thread for our COs, to spam you guys...

Here are some pics to show the size of "Big L":
IMG_4657

IMG_4675

IMG_4699

IMG_4687

IMG_4725

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    He's a handsome dude! and HUGE! It looks like he's settling in very nicely. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Wow, he is So big! How much do you think he weighs?

Looks like he is adjusting well...
  • edited November -1
    Wow! I love that pic of him looking over the gate. He looks like a pretty happy guy too.
  • edited November -1
    Luytiy rules all! Moihahaha

;)

Will Luytiy get bigger? Larger breeds mature at 2 years right? :o I hope he gets bigger :p ~
  • edited November -1
    Wait, when do you get Masha?
  • edited November -1
    wow. he could eat Kaia and still be hungry. how's maui handling it?
  • edited November -1
    Wow-He is TALL! I love him in the middle of the Kita's (and itty bitty Kaia)!
  • edited November -1
    I think Luytiy is taller than Romi !
  • edited November -1
    Me thinks you'll need a taller crate soon. What a beautiful boy! I love that first pic. He just fits in so well.

Just a note. We took Keigo to the dog park a few years ago. The height of the fence around the park looks to be about the height of your fence. Keigo was strong enough to jump the fence from a standing position like pic 3! I can tell you Keigo didn't even need to bend his back legs to get up and over the fence. Just jumped lightly on his toes. I remember you had a plan.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Wow! He swallows that bed that normally 2-3 pups sleep on!!! :)
  • edited November -1
    Wow. One of his paws is bigger than Kaia!

Also, looks like you might need a taller fence. :-P But he is just plain gorgeous.
  • edited November -1
    The artist formerly known as Pax is a very beautiful dog. It's incredible how mountain dogs pass the impression of power.
    He's more than huge and seems to be very comfortable at his new home, with his new pack, already.

Best of luck for all of your pack!
  • edited November -1
    ONE of these is not like the other...

:)

Luytiy looks like he's made himself right at home!

I like the first pic. 'Shiba-tude' says, "yeah, I brought backup this time!"

Kahuna looks up in admiration..."How'd he do that?"

You are aware that the CO can be escape artists, right?
  • edited November 2008
    Kristin - Luytiy is 90lb.

----

Osy - Luytiy may get a bit taller but not much, he will fill out tho - we expect him to fill out to about 150lb.

----

Brandon - Masha is 5 weeks old now, we pick her up in December when she is 12 weeks old.

This is Masha, bred by Stacey at Esquire Caucasians:
    IMG_4522

----

Rui, Sarah, Barbara - He can mos def get out of our fence, I knew that ahead of time. That is why I have these 1000 8 foot Latilla:

IMG_4429
    *Only 600 pictured in this pic.

They will be installed on 75% of our fence, making it an 8' tall fence. The rest of the fence will have some electric tape at the top. Unfortunately they will not be installed until January, which seems like a long time, but we are out of town for almost the whole month of December and he will be kenneled or with us during that time [and therefore not in our yard].

In the short term, when he is allowed to be outside unwatched, we are tethering him in the fenced-in area right out side our back door on a 60' tether. That way he can't get to the outer fence to get out. At nights he is crated in our home - our plan was to put him in one of our kennels outside and not a crate but see the next paragraph for those details. Keep in mind he is still a puppy and therefore needs to be crated some.

As for the the escape artist thing. lol He has proven that to us twice already, not getting out of the fence, but getting out of our kennels. Our kennels have farm gates just like the one in the picture above - we have fed him in a kennel since he got here. Well today Jen secured him in a kennel, gave him breakfast, and came inside the house. Two minutes later he was sitting next to her in the house begging for more food. He had climbed right over the gate.

Round 2: So today I "secured" the farm gates with "field wire" mesh [same stuff that's on our fence]. I used metal ties to attach it to the farm gate. We put him in there, gave him dinner, and closed the door... Ten minutes later, there he is, looking in the window like "can I have more food, please?" - he had totally annilated my "securing" job. So, yes, they are escape artist. :o\ We will just feed him on the tether or in his crate from now on - oh and we ordered a bigger crate for him.

We are learning as we go. :o)

*He is only free [not tethered] in the yard if we are out there with him.

----

FYI, Luytiy is from the Tskaro Kennel in Russia, Stacey [Esquire Caucasians] had imported him for breeding but decided to breed his brother instead. He is a year old

----
  • edited November -1
    Congrats again on the new family additions! They are so beautiful!!
  • edited November -1
    Did I miss something...is Luytiy coming to Atlanta?
  • edited November -1
    Jen - Sorry, I missed your questions. Maui didn't do well with him at first, he basically attacked L, but now it seems to have turned to play. He has started play bowing at him and barking. Maui is kinda a tard so it will take him a bit to learn to like him.

----

There is a few things I meant to mention. Luytiy is our first true "guardian breed" and so I have started noticing the difference [first hand] between hunting breeds and guardians. Also, since he is an LGD, there is a little added difference. For example [some of these are rather obvious, but still interesting]...

- Since he is an LGD he has no prey drive he doesn't chase a ball if you throw it, I mean he really doesn't even acknowledge it at all - but he will give chase to the dogs if they run.

- He mos def will go and check on something if he hears a noise, all our dogs will do this, the difference is he doesn't bark like a freak [Kona, Lani, Hilo] at stupid things.

- When he goes to investigate something Kona is barking at, Kona will stop barking if Luytiy just turns and walks away from it - Kona does this with me too.

- Ahi has been very aggressive due to her injury, today Jen had to move her from one crate to another and when she took her out Ahi imideatly went crazy Cojo style at Big L. Most dogs would show aggression back, or run - what did Big L do? He kinda herded Fuji, Kaia and I away from Ahi and just stood between us and her as if he was protecting us. This was really cool!

- Another cool thing was his first reaction to my camera, when I pointed it at Jen he kinda charged at me and blocked her, once I let him sniff it he was fine.

- Here is an interesting dog behavior thing, we gave him and Ahi a bone today in their crates. Ahi freaks out and barks and growls ant anything that passes her crate when she is chewing her bone. L didn't at all, he just gave a look but made no sound. It is as if he understands he is in a crate and the dogs can't get his bone and Ahi doesn't. Or maybe he is just super confident and knows none of them will try to take it - but that would be dumb if that was the case because god knows our Nihonken will try to take it!

- Luytiy has not made a sound since he has been with us - not a peep!

----
  • edited November -1
    LJ - Yes, we plan to bring Masha, Luytiy, and Kahuna to ATL this December.

----
  • edited November -1
    I have never wanted to be in Atlanta in December, or ever really (no offense guys) until now!!! Oh my GOD I LOVE Luytiy. I want a CO now...
  • edited November -1
    Jess, you should totally come in December. It'll be a mini forum meetup! :-)
  • edited November -1
    Man that would be a BLAST
  • edited November -1
    Wow, love big L... The pic of him looking over the fence is so cool.. What a big doggy! Sounds like he has a real great personality, and maybe the mischeif with escaping will tone down as he matures... Best of luck to you, Luytiy and the other new additions (as they arrive)...
  • edited November -1
    I was stoked before knowing you were comeing to Atl, but now im just over the top...
  • edited November -1
    wow, what an awesome dog!!!
  • DLWDLW
    edited November -1
    He really is beautiful. And I didn't realize you were getting Masha also. Lucky you two, I am extremely jealous. He sounds like he has an awesome personality. Strong, silent type.
  • edited November -1
    As usual, I love your observations! It is really cool that he is so protective so quickly.

How much will he gain? Keigo was also 9 months old when we got him and 90lbs. He was so skinny then. He's probably about 115lbs now.
  • edited November -1
    Barbara - He should fill-out to about 150lb. He is pretty skinny now, intentionally, so that he doesn't put to much strain on his joints.

----

Update on our efforts to "cage the beast", good news and bad news...

I added more reinforcements today to the farm gate on the kennel, we put him and walked away, 1 minute later he was next to Jen - he had escaped again!!!

So we put him back in the kennel and hide from him so we could watch how he was getting out. Come to find out he was squeezing his body through this tiny opening between the gate and the kennel, he could push it out just enough to escape.

The good news...

I changed the way we latch the kennel, and put him back in and he couldn't get out! So we were able to secure him! :o)

The bad news...

He hates being in the kennel outside, I think it is because he wants to work [guard] when he is out there and not be constrained. :o( He is way happier in his crate in the house, so I did all that work for nothing. lol :oT It was a good learning experience tho. Now I am not 100% sure he could get over those gates as easy as we thought.

----

I am uploading some video of Luytiy now...

----
  • edited November 2008
    Here is a video of Jen walking Luytiy for the first time:

Here is Luytiy at home on his first morning here:

----
  • edited November -1
    How amazing! I want to go to Atlanta :(
  • edited November -1
    Me too! I have been lovingly jealous of the Anderson Pack since I found out about this wonderful forum. Atlanta or Bust!