Wasao, the most famous Akita in Japan!

edited October 2008 in Akita (秋田犬)
It all started with one blogger who visited a little squid shack up in Aomori.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/mereco/20080526/p1

She blogged about the owner's dog, Wasao, an Akita that had been found abandoned at the local fishing port. From one blog the story went viral, and the pup is now the most famous Akita in Japan!

P4231049

Apparently everyone's fallen in love with the big furry pup with the squinted eyes, and describe him as 'busu-kawa' (busu=ugly, kawaii=cute).

I just find it ironic (but wonderful), that a long haired 'sub-standard', abandoned, terribly mannered (watch the 2nd video!:P) pup is now the most famous Akita in Japan.

Comments

• edited November -1
    How could anybody abandon him? What a wonderful big ball of fur! I love the long hair!
  • edited November -1
    What a great dog! Looks like he has found a happy home now. He seems to really enjoy the seaside, and his owner, too! I say just kawaii! (What a cutie!) Thanks for sharing --- perhaps he will now become the most famous dog in the USA (or at least on this message board!).
  • edited November -1
    kawaii indeed! what a ham! Thanks for bringing him to the US for us!
  • edited November -1
    What a marshmallow!!!
    Love him.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing this story. I think he is so cute in a furby way. Quite a ham!
    I just love the photos in the blog. I take it the fisherman/woman is going to keep him?

Just curious did the other two male Akitas (given up because the owner was too old) in Tokyo find a home?

Keep the spam coming .....Just love it.
    Snf
  • edited October 2008
    Yup, Wasao has been at the squid shack for 6 months now. The other two Akita boys that I posted b4 are still looking for homes :( It's hard to find people to take in large dogs over here.

Of course there is the issue of smaller houses/yards, but it's also a cultural thing where a lot of people think big dogs belong outside, and a lot of rental home owners don't allow dogs. My place for instance has two spare bedrooms, and plenty of room for at least one dog, but the owner won't let me get anything bigger than 10kgs (22lbs I think?).

It pisses me off because I moved in here specifically because they said pets were okay, then told me about the 'rule' after I'd been living here for a year. They were fine when I had 2 JRT's and 3 cats, but big dogs scare them :P

More pics of the big white boy Ibuki http://pruu.lolipop.jp/catnap/akita-ibuki/ibuki01.html
  • edited November -1
    What Jessica said...
  • edited November -1
    That's a great story. He IS a big marshmallow. :-)
  • edited November -1
    I am so glad to hear that the Squid Shack Akita has a good place to call home.

The Ibuki boy is just beautiful. It looks like he gets along well with other dogs too. Has the Japanese rescue group thought about expanding their outlook to say people who are interested and live on the West coast of the U.S.?

Just a thought
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    He's so cute :D I want to hug him. :D

I just hope his popularity doesn't lead to some Wasao-looking Akita Designer Breed :O [maybe I'm too negative? ]~
  • edited November -1
    Unfortunately, Japan is the place to be for designer breeds/breeders looking to make a quick buck off their "cute" pups. :(
  • edited November -1
    He is so cute! He's like a fluffier Hilo! lol. So freaking cute!!!

Jen said: "He looks like a Great Pyrenees mixed with a Chow." <- I think that's pretty accurate.

----
  • edited November -1
    omg he is hilarious! I love the look on his face! Its like he's permanently laughing at you.
  • edited November -1
    huh...i see it now! good description Jen!