Well we had a bit of a scare this afternoon

edited September 2007 in General

So I was taking Moto on his evening walk. We typically go about five miles and then Jay comes and meets us at this coffee shop and drive back. Well we got about halfway there, and Moto lunged at something (I never saw what it was) and then began to scream and scream. He wouldn't open his mouth. I thought he bit something sharp. But when I opened his mouth he wasn't bleeding or swollen.

I called Jay and told him to come get us and that we were going straight to the vet. I called my vet to let them know we were on our way. Moto is no longer screaming. He isn't limping. He seemed fine but I wasn't taking any chances. I'm of course sobbing now.

Jay gets us. We get to the vet. Now he is licking my arm and jumps up on the exam table. UGH. I feel like the person who takes the car to the mechanic and as soon as I get there the car stops making the noise.

The vet says he may have eaten a bee and that she has been seeing that a lot lately. Or he may have popped his knee (he didn't want her touching it, but he would let me).

She gives us some Benedryl in case he gets hives. We take him to the coffee shop where he promptly begins playing with an American Eskimo.

He is now happily chewing a bone. I am a pile of nerves who is now convinced anytime he hesitates, or pauses it is because something is terribly wrong.

The thought of him suffering in anyway is devastating to me. I don't know how parents of children do it. I probably won't sleep tonight.

On a brighter note, Brad I took your advice, and I tried not crating him during the day. He has stopped chewing altogether. He now periodically just lies in his crate because he wants to but we haven't crated him once in almost a week, and he has been perfect. Of course now I feel bad, like the crate was making him anxious and that is why he was chewing.

Frown

Comments

• edited November -1

Wow - I'm sure that did scare you, would scare me too... gotta love those drama queen Shibas (boy or girl - they are all drama queens).

I'm glad Moto was alright tho. Jen and I have taken Maui to the vet some many times because he screams about something random, only to have him just play with our vet and get treats. Makes you feel like a newbie every time, but I think you have to do it - you never know when it will REALLY be something. Better safe than sorry.

I'm glad that the non-crate thing helped, I think sometimes they reach an age and they just want some freedom... I think Ahi is getting to that age too.

• edited November -1

How freightful!

Phew...good thing he's alright. I'm happy to hear the vet didn't find anything wrong.

• edited November -1

Oh the life of the Shiba!  We have dont that for Niko a few times...Once there was actually something visibly wrong.  She got stung or bit by something on her paw...of course they couldnt tell right away and blew me off until they realized her paw was swollen.

Im so glad Moto is fine, you did exactly what I would do. 

• edited November -1
    Does he have any history of luxateing patella?  That could explain a knee popping out and back in.
  • edited November -1

None whatsoever, nor his parents from what I understand.

That was my first fear too.

But he is showing no signs of discomfort. No hesitation jumping up or down. We went to the park this morning. He ran with the pack for almost 2 hours and other than getting run over by a German shepherd  he was business as usual (actually getting run over is kind of business as usual, he is pretty good at being in the way).

He also has no problem with me playing with the back paws.

*sigh* I am hoping he is just dramatic. 

• edited November -1
    I'm sure he was just being dramatic.  Nemo has screamed and pulled up limping because sidewalk salt was stuck in his pad. 
  • edited November -1

It just never ceases to amaze me, how he can wrestle with an English Mastiff puppy for hours (which he did last week, 85lbs!) and walk away smiling, but a leaf lands on his nose and he cries like he is being stabbed.

I'm getting gray hairs from all of this. 

• edited November -1

LOL...again...the life of the shiba!

I have self diagnosed Niko with the luxating patella...she has text book symptoms and reactions.  She has not had any recent incidents but has it frequently.  We are hoping to find a good vet that can help us out.  Not impressed with ANY we have found here. 

• edited November -1

You should look into glucosamine supplements for Niko if she is not already on one.

Arthogen is what we use for Nemo for maintenance on his bad knee (grade 1).

http://www.petmedstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=petmedstore/CTGY/arthogendog

Petvetdirect.com usually has the cheapest prices but their site is down at the moment.

• edited November -1
    Glucosamine is great.  Where are you? I can ask my vet if she can recommend someone near you. I would do just about anything for her!
  • edited November -1
    We give Kaia Glucosamine for her osteoarthritis and it has REALLY helped! I mean there are days when she seems to hurt a bit, we give her a little extra Glucosamine supplements and she is fine in a few hours. I have been blown away by how fast it helps. We also give some to Hilo to help his growth plates and joints develop nicely.
  • edited November -1

Are you guys a Giger fans then? When I was in art school I was obsessed with his work as well as Alex Grey. I went to school for computer animation - I'm a programmer now tho.

I have moved out of my 'dark' phase tho. lol
  • edited November -1

I am an admirer of his work. Bigger fan of Ridley Scott.

Went to college for painting. Still paint a bit, mostly design posters for bands. But my full time job is as a makeup artist, so I am still painting in a way.

Lately I have been obsessed with this painter Kukula, Sylvia Ji, and Ricky Vespia lately. But then I can sit and stare at a great illustration or painting for hours.

There is this brilliant painting at the Met King Lear act 1 scene 1 that I once sat and stared at for two hours.

I too have long since retired from my dark phase. I'll take pretty any day. 

• edited November -1

Hey Jessica-

Any help would be great with the vet issues!  We live in Stone Mountain, GA (30087).  I will look into the glucosamine for the booger.  Should I give it to both dogs? 

• edited November -1

It is so good for their joints. I give it to all my pets and take it myself for my arthritis.

I know in humans, white sugar and white flour exacerbate arthritis. I would assume they can't be very good for pups either.

I will call my vet today and see what she suggests. I will get back to you.