Has anyone tried something like this before?

edited September 2007 in Akita (秋田犬)

http://inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.asp?c=&T1=D71087+S&SKW=+traction&PageNo=1

Hilo slips all around on the wood floors. I'm worried it's gonna hurt him. We have tried putting rugs down but he doesn't seem to use them so we saw these in a catalog and was considering purchasing them. What do you guys think?

Could you imagine putting those on a Shikoku? Surprised

Comments

• edited November -1
    OMG that is awesome!!  I always tell Chad how much it bothers me with the floor.  Especially when they come running down full force down the carpet stairs to hard wood floors...slip, slide and spread....I hate it!  Hilo would be a perfect guinea pig!!
  • edited November -1

They kinda freak me out.

But then again I used to put soft paws on my cats. Similar concept.

• edited November -1
    Yea, me too (the freak out part) - but I think it's better than him slipping and breaking a hip.
  • edited November -1
    I think it is hilarious!  I cant wait to see brads video of that!
  • edited November -1

brad-  the thing is how to put those pads on your babies feet? some kind of glue?

how about skin? their feet just like us, some times sweaty, also the skin tissue get old, deads,grow new...

day after day, all the moisture and dead skin tissue will deposit underneath, between the pad and skin, that is not good. ---- my foolish thought.

i have thought about boots, so you can put it on and take it off, that way, will not cause future skin problem, but may be they don't like boots since they are very active. sigh.

• edited November -1
    Yea, we had those concerns too but these say they are hypoallergenic and it appears they just stick-on their pads and eventually fall off. So, I dunno, I think they are safe. What do you think???
  • edited November -1
    I know if I put those on Tojo, he would just bite them off.
  • edited September 2007

My thoughts?

He'll chew them off. If you want to put something on his feet, try what show dog people use - it's called ShowFoot. Helps with traction. It's just a spray, and won't be as likely to irritate his feet.

When Jack was having issues, I went to Lowes and bought gray interlocking pads. I can take them and hose them down, and it helped spare the hardwood and helped him stand on tile.

• edited September 2007

I think there might be some dog "booties" out there that have traction on them, they would ahdere to the pad at all.  However a lot of dogs don't like them, but I can't see a dog liking these things either.

• edited November -1
    Yea, I can't see it either - and Hilo grooms himself all the time. Maybe I should try and find that pray - or buy some pads... we would just have to pad the whole freaking house!
  • edited September 2007

please let us know how it works, i really need some thing for my future pup. in the winter, too much sult on the road and side walks, how dogs be able to walk on the sult and not get sore feet? Frown

• edited September 2007

For the winter pad protection buy Musher's Secret.  It's a great product, but it wont work to stop a dog from sliding, only protects from salt/cold/heat.

• edited November -1

thanks brandon.

• edited November -1
    I think if I put those on my Mal, she'd freaked and tear them off. Interesting idea, but I wouldn't use them. Well good luck! Hilo will have to tell our dogs how it is, lol.