Harness

How many of you use harnesses?  I am wondering if it would be beneficial for my monsters...One big problem we have is our 70 lb mix slips out of her martingale collar...I never got the harness thing but I am wondering what can assist me in utter and total domination of the puppy household!!! (please excuse me...I took a loopy sleepy pill which brings out a very interesting part of me!Surprised)

Comments

• edited November -1

We use these harnesses for hiking:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-trade-Harness?sc=2&category=16

and these harnesses for walks:

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74

Both work well, the easy walk really helps stop them from pulling and prevents any injury to their necks from them pulling or stopping [Hilo AKA "lead butt" tend to just stop walking].

• edited November -1

We use the Puppia harness. It breathes because it is a neoprene like mesh. It doesn't break any hair. And it is soft enough that he can't hurt himself.

Moto walks really well on a leash though. He stays right at my side unless he is about to poop. So I don't have much, if any, pulling issues. 

• edited November -1
    Wow - that is impressive for a Shiba... Kaia doesn't walk great on leash, she pulls a lot. Maui walks well on leash now, but he used to pull really bad. Kaia is silly, when we go on a walk she will walk very well on the way out, but once she knows she is headed back home she pulls really bad. It's like she can't wait to get home.
  • edited November -1

Of course the morning after I write about how great Moto is being, he destroys my eyeglasses.

Aahh Shibas gotta love 'em 

• edited November -1

Tasha walks very well on leash, so I just use a martingale. Ronan, on the other hand, will choke himself silly. And I'm afraid he'll slip out of the martingale if he freaks - he's nearly done this twice now. So, he has a Premiere harness that he's used to, and we're getting him used to the harness that came with his backpack from ruffwear.

When Ronan was little, all I ever used on him was a harness because I worried about injury to his neck.

• edited November -1

Oh man, Ahi ate my classes once too. That sux. Frown

We used a harness with Ahi most of her puppyhood, same with Hilo.

• edited November -1

I used to walk Tojo on a harness sometimes.  He hated it soooo much.  In fact, if he was being rambunctious, sometimes I would just put his harness on because then he's just stand there, not wanting to move because he has his harness on.  I don't have it anymore, though.  He chewed the buckles so I took it apart and make a nylon slip collar that we both like much better!

Tojo wrecked two pairs of glasses... then I got a pair from www.goggles4u.com for $30 and he hasn't touched them.  I guess he knew they were cheap.