here what i have heard

here is a japanese friend who told me about shikoku yestday,  fighting dog? i hate when people do some thing like that. bloody cruelYell 

she said : "Shikoku is in the background of Tosa fighting dog. Tosa is the name of cran in Shikoku island, and that was the place the Sumo wrestler type dog fighting in Japan had originated. The enthusiast of dog fighting then wanted to create stronger fighter by combining the swiftness of Shikoku & endurance of Mastiff.... "

Comments

• edited September 2007

Yes, that's true - the Shikoku was used to create the Tosa. Sad when a dog is bred exclusively for fighting. Of all the things mankind has done to create new breeds of animals to
    serve him, breeding a dog to fight and die for entertainment sickens the hell out of me.

Regarding the Shikoku as a fighting dog, or a dog known to want to fight - It has been my experience with the Akita and the Shikoku that neither one goes looking for a fight, but they won't just stand there passively if another dog picks a fight with them. Both breeds will defend themselves. This is exactly the temperment that: A) makes people think dog breeds like this are 'vicious' when who can blame them for defending themselves, and B) People like Michael Vick look for in a dog - willingness to 'entertain' them by fighting to the death.

• edited November -1
    Here is a page I found on the Tosa, a beautiful dog. LINK
  • edited November -1

This is a point about the Shikoku that has always been misconstrued. One of the trainers we worked with always reminded us that Ahi was a "fighting dog" - and I corrected her every time. Shikokus are not "fighting dogs", as your quote states, they were used as a bases to create the Tosa - which was breed to fight.

I think they probably used the Shikoku as a bases because the breed was used to hunt wild bore, which takes tremendous courage and tenacity.

While Hilo, our Akita pup, is very gentle and sweet - when you watch Ahi and him play (play fight) you can tell which dog has the "fighting dog" gene. Hilo is a much more proficient "play fighter" than Ahi, but Ahi keeps up with him using her raw tenacity, energy, and fearlessness.

• edited November -1

Part of what attracted me to my shiba, and now so much to the shikoku is that they are so close to dogs as mother nature intended.

I spent the afternoon yesterday with my friend and her chinese crested. And especially next to Moto the crested just looked wrong.

All of these designer breeds and and the dogs that have been bred for vanity not health (like english bulldogs, that have to be born c-section and have such severe respitory and vision problems) just break my heart.

I stand by the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

• edited November -1
    That is exactly the reason I was interested in a primitive breed - and found the Shiba, then the Shikoku. You will love the Shikoku for their primitiveness!
  • edited November -1

I'm so excited, Peggy just sent us the contract to look over. Katja sent me note to let me know she was very busy and would get back to us soon.

I like Peggy a lot so far from her emails, and we might be able to have a pup by late next year.

I have goosebumps! It is like finding out you are having a baby without any morning sickness or needing to buy clothes! 

• edited November -1
    Sounds like we all have similar stories... I, too, prefer natural dogs and found the shiba, then shikoku.