Shikoku noises

Ahi sounds like a bear most of the time, she makes an odd growl-yell-howl sound, she doesn't bark much. She makes this sound mostly when she is frustrated [which is pretty much all the time when she isn't playing]. I'll have to record it so you guys can hear it.

Do any of your Shikokus make sounds like that?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I'll have to see about getting some of Ronan's vocalizations on audio. He's definately different. But Ronan is a barker. If you aren't paying attention to him, he'll bark up a storm. Yeesh!
  • edited November -1
    When I visited Katja this past weekend, she said shikokus bark to let you know things because this particular line does the "bark to detain" hunting style, as opposed to the "bite to detain". 
  • edited November -1

Oh - wow - That's very interesting news. That helps make some since of Ahi's sometimes rather persistent (and a bit annoying) barking.

She will never take a treat or bone from another dog - instead she will just sit there and bark at them... Like 3 inches from them. I guess that's instincts kicking in. Interesting!

• edited November -1

"Bark to let you know things" definitely explains our Tenji.  He will bark to tell me when someone is in the vacinity of our house.  And he will bark to get my and/or the cats' attention.   Otherwise he is very quiet.    He doesn't bark at other dogs and he doesn't bark at people on the street while we are out walking.   He does kind of talk (not bark) when petted.  Often mistaken for a growl but I am convinced that he is just talking.

• edited November -1

Ditto - except Ronan doesn't really talk so much as a whine when he wants people to pet him. He talks to us all the time. We'll ask, "Ronan! What happened to Timmy?" Bark bark, noise, whine, butt waggle & a sit. "Really?" bark bark!!! "Heavens! Timmy fell down the well - again?" bark bark bark!!! more waggles and a wave. "And Lassie is just chasing rabbits?"

• edited November -1
    LMAOSealed
  • edited November -1

Ronan and Tenji are clowns, that is just too funny! Ahi doesn't do that - she is more like a bear. She may be part bear.

• edited November -1
    According to the contract I signed, I'll be getting a full sister to Ronan.  That's assuming everything goes as planned, of course.  I can't wait!
  • edited November -1
    Well, then you're going to get your S&R dog for sure! -smiles-
  • edited September 2007
    Heidi - a Mikey/Mura girl! I can't wait! Yes, you'll have your little tracker girl for sure if she's like her brothers. I watched Ronan pick up the scent of a lizard on a tree the other day. She's going to be awesome. Hope she's got her two brothers' lovey-dovey-itis, too! Just please, not their eating habits, LOL! Ronan now insists on eating from a ceramic bowl, and wants the chill taken off his raw by nuking it 15 seconds in the microwave. The goof-nut...