Dog Waste Composter

edited August 2007 in Products & DIY

I'm thinking about doing this this weekend - anyone ever tried it?

http://homepage.mac.com/cityfarmer/PhotoAlbum22.html

Four dogs = a lot of poo!  Frown

Comments

• edited August 2007

Brad,

Years ago, we installed a doogie-dooley system. To be honest, we don't use it much anymore except for the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, etc. the dogs get. We bought an above ground plastic garden composter from Lowes, which we also use for grass clippings, dog poop, etc. Rid-X works great on it. Don't use the compost for veggies or fruit trees, though. When we need to put stuff in or take stuff out, we pop off the top. Stirring with a shovel now and then helps. The composter has a tray at the bottom for access, too.

The trash can is a good idea, but I'd hate to dig a hole that size in Georgia clay!

• edited November -1

Hmmm - I didn't think about just using a normal composted. I'll have to swing by lowes and check it out.

Thanx!

• edited November -1
    Our plan is to eventually compost all of the organic matter produced in our household, including animal waste.  In fact, for the cats, our plan is to use wood pellets for cat litter and just dump the whole thing because it sure beats painstakingly removing all the poo.  You can compost anything (even human waste) so it is safe for use in the garden, but it takes at least two years (since that's how long until ALL human pathogens and parasites take before they will die) and it has to reach thermophilic conditions for a certain period of time (usually 24 hours), so you have to moniter the temperature.  I learned all this researching composting toilets, haha.  
  • edited November -1

Wow...it's amazing how much you can learning researching composting toilets, lol!

I should get into some kind of system. My roommate and I just pick up the poo and dispose of it in a bag and then the trash. We have to worry about flys though. At times we hardly see any. Other times, like when we don't pick up the night before, we will see SWARMS of flys by morning or noon. So we always have to pick up, bag and toss it in the big garage container right away!

I would love to use the Corn litter for my cats, but it is SO EXPENSIVE! So I got the Pine litter instead, since the price is more reasonable. I don't like Clay...the most commonly used for litter. Too messy, smells horrid and ISN'T environmentally friendly. The Pine is so much better and it smells GREAT too. I have a forest in my room!

Horse waste would be easier, at least you can sell it.

• edited November -1
    You can get something similar to pine litter that's way cheaper.  Wood pellets that are used in pellet stoves.  That's what I'm switching to when my clay litter runs out.  You're very right about clay - I hate it.