Japanese Akita's

Thanks to Brad and Jen we now know the next dog we want to get. I understand how hard it is to find pure Japanese Akita's. If you all can lead us in the right direction that would be great!! I already am getting frustrated!

Comments

• edited November -1

Does anyone know anything about these breeders?  From what I understand they breed both together.  I dont want a mix...

Inu.com or www.snowcrestakitas.com 

• edited November -1

Miisan Akitas breeds very nice blends, but not pure Japanese Akitas - they focus on temperament and have a very selective breeding program. They don't breed very often and have long waiting lists. They come highly recommended and respected in the Akita community, at least the part of the Akita community that doesn't frown on blends anyway.

I have never heard of Snow Crest.

If you are looking for a pure Japanese Akita [Akita Inu] you may have to go out of the country - I was unable to find an Akita Inu breeder, with Japanese bloodlines only, in America.

Shun'you Kensha Akita is the kennel Hilo's mother, father, and great grandfather came from - tho Hilo was breed by a different breeder who is a close friend of Silvia Exposito the owner of Shun'you Kensha. Unfortunately Hilo's breeder doesn't have a website. Here is Silivia's url: http://www.kensha.com/

I would also recommend Izyda Bach-Zelewska, she breeds very nice Akita Inu - she has some of the best looking brindle Akita Inu I have ever seen. She is also a member of this forum because she has a Shikoku [Ahi's litter mate, or at least from the same breeding pair as Ahi] from Katja as well, she plans to breed them too. Here is her url: http://www.akita-inu.eu/

I dunno anything about these people but they seem to have nice looking Akita: http://www.akitatailly.com/

I think that's about all I can help with. If you want direct contact info for any of the breeders above let me know and I'll whisper it to you.

Jen and I had a very hard time finding the right Akita Inu, so be prepared for a long wait and search. Also keep in mind that, IMO, temperament should comes before looks when it comes to getting an Akita Inu.

• edited November -1

Any luck on finding an Akita? Any news?

• edited November -1
    Yeah, that breeder is going to do 100% Japanese breeds upcoming.  Right now we need to get this house sold and pawn the cats off on someone and then I think we will be ready!!!!  Im sold!  All Hilo's fault.
  • edited August 2007
    How can you just get rid of your cats like that?  PAWN them off on someone?  Disgusting.  Hopefully you don't fall in love with a dog in the future that causes you to "pawn" your Akita off on someone.  If I was the breeder I wouldn't even think about adopting a dog out to you.
  • edited November -1

I didn't realize you planned to get rid of the cats, I thought they got along well with your pups?

• edited November -1

Yes...why the kittys? For another dog? I already have 3 cats and 1 dog. And I'm getting a 2nd dog in November and a 4th kitty in January. Total count will be 4 kittys and 2 dogs!

Although...my Abbyssinian mix lives with my dad, but my sister will take him when she moves. And then Mia, a domestic mix, is actually my mother's cat and when she finds a place she will be taking her cat back. That will bring me down to 2 cats. Then give me another reason to get a 3rd! lol.

Are they family cats? Outside neighborhood cats you've adopted?

Maybe I'm going about this wrong, since felines are my first love. Anyways...I suppose, if you were to place them in a great home where they will be looked after and cared for. Then I guess it really doesn't matter.

Responsiblity first! Be careful about being quick to the "pawning" part though. Do a bit of research on potential homes befor placing them. Make sure both the cats and their twolegs are compatible and that they will be forever homes.

Too much moving around can be VERY stressful on felines (especially). If the cats grew up together, chances are that they are close. It'd be best for them to be placed together and will make the transition that much easier since they will have each other. Also make sure their twolegs are familar with the proper feline knowledge. 

Good Luck!

• edited November -1
    Thanks ShikokuSpirit for being "understanding".  I do realize that what I said was not something that could be understood by people who are not my friends.  That comment was in response to a question from Brad, whom knew what the content was behind it.  I would NEVER put an animal in a shelter or "pawn" them off.  Bad choice of words and that is my personality that didnt come through on the screen (putting my foot in my mouth).  We are committed to either finding the perfect home (someone we know) for them or finding a place we can have them.  We are selling our house and going to rent and move around a lot soon and we have not found any places to have 4 animals.  I have had animals my whole life and have made a commitment to all to ensure that they are loved and taken care of.  If that is something I cant do for them it isnt fair for me to keep them from a home that can provide that.  I dont want to get into too many details about it for personal reasons and because I dont need further rude comments (not you).  This is not a decision that is light or easy no matter the pet.  Everything you have mentioned are things that we have agonized over and there is no doubt that no matter the decision it will be the right one.