Hokkaido Weight Pulling

Hi all,

Has anyone have experience or thoughts in entering Hokkaido's in weight pulling competitions? Husky and Malamute clubs often have a non-breed section that can be entered.

I am more interested in the social and fun part (for the dog, I'd rather knock back a beer) rather than Mochi winning any prizes.

Comments

• I know @Crispy has done some weight pulling entries with Kishu Ken a couple of times.

I think it's a great activity, I've never done it but would love to someday.
  • @Calia has done a bit of this too with her husky, Titan.
  • Where do they do this at?
  • I've done some weight pull with my Kishu! They love it. Hokkaido can be quite a bit smaller than the Kishu, but the size of the dog doesn't matter so much in the game/sport, and weight is added very slowly.

There isn't a lot of pressure on the dogs in weight pull, so I think any of the Nihon Ken breeds could really enjoy the game, and doing things with their people.

There are sometimes weight pull test, training, and competitions attached to big cluster dog shows - that's where I've done mine.
  • edited August 2018
    The thing with weight pull is the dog really has to be motivated to do it. Which is why after looking into it, I decided it wasn't suitable for most JA. I do think a Hokkaido would do better, however.

Note that unlike many other dog sports, physical conditioning is really important, and there's a bit of a steep materials requirement to get started. You need the proper gear and proper exercise routine (constant, not just prep before a trial) or you can really hurt your dog. Some sports dogs can just do without much if any regiment of exercise and strength building, but this is not one of them.
  • How much weight are we talking about that these dogs are pulling?
  • The weight pulls I have been to had all the gear there. I did not purchase a thing except time in the ring. The trainer had all the materials.

My guys started with 5 pounds. The start is based on weight of the dog. Cúchulainn (40 pounds plus or minus a few) pulled something like 200 or 250 with cart included.
  • I think they would love doing pretty much any activity with their people especially if there is treats or toys or some game involved.
  • I have a couple people on my wait list interested in trying weight pulling, and it's something I'd love to get into eventually as well. Hokkaido are very strong dogs for their size, and from my experience, they would partake in pretty much any activity that would make their people happy.

I've read a few bits of information about Hokkaido being used to pull sleds/carts in Japan a long time ago.
  • Thanks everyone, lots of useful information. I won't be trying to train Mochi until around 18th months so another 8 months at least. I will post back at some point if it still seems he is a fit. Mochi has thickened out since I posted my welcome and has a bit of muscle mass from the constant playing he has gotten up to.

@crispy, how big are Kishu? I thought that the Hokkaido were a wee bit stouter but made up for it in weight. I didn't know there was a significant difference.
  • @crispy, how big are Kishu? I thought that the Hokkaido were a wee bit stouter but made up for it in weight. I didn't know there was a significant difference.
    My male Kishu and other males I have met are generally between 40 and 50 pounds (outliers, more), and taller than the Hokkaido. The largest Hokkaido I have met (Meitou, @h.h.bandersnatch ) is about the size of one of my beefier female Kishu, height and weight wise last time I knew. The female Kishu are generally between 30 and 40 pounds, with the tiniest closer to 30.

The female Hokkaido I had was small, but not the smallest per the Japanese standard (Kurasi, now with @Lindsayat, her breeder, who may also be more informed on Hokkaido weight/height), and was around 25 pounds (a little slimmer when I got her). My very small Kishu is 30 pounds, and she is at the very bottom of the Kishu standard, as a comparison. My other females are 38-40 (one is stout, the other is just the size of a male). So I suppose that is my reference, plus showing Cúchulainn (male Kishu) in the same ring as Ashitaka (male Hokkaido).

I don't think there is a HUGE difference, but Hokkaido seem just a "size down" from the Kishu from what I have seen.

I am not sure it will make a big difference for weight pull!
  • @crispy, how big are Kishu? I thought that the Hokkaido were a wee bit stouter but made up for it in weight. I didn't know there was a significant difference.
    My male Kishu and other males I have met are generally between 40 and 50 pounds (outliers, more), and taller than the Hokkaido. The largest Hokkaido I have met (Meitou, @h.h.bandersnatch ) is about the size of one of my beefier female Kishu, height and weight wise last time I knew. The female Kishu are generally between 30 and 40 pounds, with the tiniest closer to 30.

The female Hokkaido I had was small, but not the smallest per the Japanese standard (Kurasi, now with @Lindsayat, her breeder, who may also be more informed on Hokkaido weight/height), and was around 25 pounds (a little slimmer when I got her). My very small Kishu is 30 pounds, and she is at the very bottom of the Kishu standard, as a comparison. My other females are 38-40 (one is stout, the other is just the size of a male). So I suppose that is my reference, plus showing Cúchulainn (male Kishu) in the same ring as Ashitaka (male Hokkaido).

I don't think there is a HUGE difference, but Hokkaido seem just a "size down" from the Kishu from what I have seen.

I am not sure it will make a big difference for weight pull!
    Interesting, I don't have much of a reference, when all you have is photos for reference it is hard to gauge sizes! Mochi(male Hokkaido, 8 months) is 18kg/40lbs and the vet has said he will be above 20kg/44lbs once fully grown. I may just have a really big Hokkaido.

I didn't mean to derail my own thread but saw a learning opportunity and jumped on it.

• Hokkaido are typically short but stocky and well muscled. I have a very lithe bitch who is about 30lbs and 19" tall. Her son is 16 weeks and 23lbs already. His sire (who's actually the littermate/brother to Meitou, the large dog Crispy mentioned above) is about 50lbs and 20" tall, so I anticipate Yoshi maturing to around 40-45lbs and 19-20". His sister will probably mature to around 35-40 and 18-19" based off of how she's growing.

These guys all come from large lines though. There are some Hokkaido who aren't much bigger than a shiba. Do you have Mochi's pedigree?
  • Hokkaido are typically short but stocky and well muscled. I have a very lithe bitch who is about 30lbs and 19" tall. Her son is 16 weeks and 23lbs already. His sire (who's actually the littermate/brother to Meitou, the large dog Crispy mentioned above) is about 50lbs and 20" tall, so I anticipate Yoshi maturing to around 40-45lbs and 19-20". His sister will probably mature to around 35-40 and 18-19" based off of how she's growing.

These guys all come from large lines though. There are some Hokkaido who aren't much bigger than a shiba. Do you have Mochi's pedigree?
    I do, not on hand though. It is at my wife's parents house and would have to get it translated. Mochi's mum was 15kgs(33lbs) and his father 18kgs(40lbs) so I would think he would stop at 18kgs(40lbs) himself but he looks like he will keep going for a few more months. I am not sure how tall his parents were but he is currently about 50cm(20")(it's a bit hard to measure because at the moment he thinks the measure is a toy)
  • Meitou is a strong dog, for sure. I am always surprised at how strong he is. He's about....21 inches at the shoulder if I am remembering correctly. And he is usually between 38-42 pounds (he can be picky and often won't eat as much as I think he should). However, he's doesn't have much desire for pulling heavy things. But maybe that would change if we worked on it.