Portland Area Hokkaido Meetup.

I was wondering if any of the other Hokkaido owners in the area would be interested in having a meetup sometime in October. I'm thinking something outdoors would be best weather permitting of course, but just wanted to see how many of you would be interested. I'm generally always free on Wednesdays, but I'm sure a weekend would probably work better for others?

Comments

• I would definitely be interested. Weekends work best for Miko. :-) The only other one I know of around here would be Meitou.

• Don't forget Kurasi, @crispy just brought her up here. Pretty sure there is at least one more around here as well. Weekends would work for us though, but would probably need to be towards the end of the month, so the wife and I can make sure we get the day off.
  • I may be able to come down from Tacoma depending on the day
  • I'm down! Kurasi's sister, Umma, is also in Portland. :)
  • Sounds great. Would love to meet the other Hokkaido owners in the area.
  • A Hokkaido meet up could be fun. It depends on the day and if I can get a puppy-sitter for Jötunn.
  • Umma's servants here. We'd be interested, too. The weekend is better for us, too. We could even host (we live on the west side of Beaverton), although our yard might feel tiny with five crazy Hokkaido running around. Also not 100% sure how Umma will feel about dogs she hasn't met before in her yard (she has met Meitou and they get along well, and she nosed Miko through a fence at Lindsay's last spring the day she went home). We have an outdoor kennel that is almost never used and could use an ex pen to section off an area on our deck, so we can have spaces for two pups who need some alone time (and one of them could be Jotunn!). I'm sure as we get later into the fall the weather gets more and more unpredictable beyond a day or two, but I know we have 10/21 available. A starting point for discussion. :)
  • edited September 2017
    weekends do work best, I know I might have a few things going on that weekend. But whatever everyone agrees on I will try to accommodate.

My wife and I at some point could probably host but am currently finishing up the covered patio before the weather turns.

I do not know if any of you take your Hokkaidos to dog parks but the closest one to me is in Ridgefield next to the wildlife refuge that is never crowded. I take Miko twice a week and have never seen more than 3 dogs at a time there in the several months we have been going. A majority of the time we are the only ones there for a while before someone else shows up but we having been going in the evening lately and meet up with a few dogs she likes to play with. It is a smaller park about the size of a football field on a sloping hill with approx. a quarter mile walking path around the perimeter. Water and bags are onsite.
  • I'm interested! but man, October is bad for me. November?? :O
  • Why not both??
  • Monthly Hokkaido Ken party!
  • I think by the time we get into November its going to be a "Muddy" Hokkaido Party.
  • I was thinking literally the first weekend of November.
  • Doesn't matter too much for us, just if it's a weekend the wife and I would need enough time to request the day off. But yeah, if we could do it while the weather is somewhat agreeable would be preferable. Would everyone prefer a hike/park or something more along the lines of a bbq?
  • October is good for me, and Ridgefield sounds like a nice potential meeting point and is more accessible for me coming down from Tacoma.
  • Also how does everyone feel about non-hokkaido at the meet up? Pretty sure most of the people here have other dogs, so do we want to bring just our Hokkaido, or would people want to bring other dogs as well?
  • If it is at a dog park then I likely wouldn't take Meitou since he's an intact male. I've taken him once before and while that turned out fine I'm not sure I want to take that chance.
  • A dog park isn't particularly good for Kurasi, either, if we have to go in the park (I didn't know if we were just meeting up around it..?)
  • edited September 2017
    One of my puppies goes to Portland to his new owner in the next weekend :-) Maybe he could be there :-)
  • I'm James @Krisz :). Not sounding like a dog park is gonna be the best meeting spot though, somebody's backyard will probably be the best spot. How would either the last Sunday of October or first Sunday of November work for those of you who suggested you might be able to host?
  • I can't meet the last weekend of October. I am attending an event all weekend the 28th-30th of October.
  • A dog park environment isn't good for Umma, either. We're available that weekend (10-28/29), but can't host. If we did host (if it was the weekend before) I'd have to request to limit it to Hokkaidos simply because our yard probably couldn't handle everyone's pups. It would get a little cramped and probably crank up everyone's anxiety levels, and no one wants that.

• Mmk, why don't we see what @swwahokkaido is thinking regarding when they might be able to host, but otherwise I think the 2nd to last weekend of October should work for almost everyone?
  • @JAB44 LOL :-) I don't know your nick name :-)
  • My wife and I would not be opposed to hosting on the Sunday, the 29th of October, in La Center, WA. Weather permitting of course. We were thinking we could host from noon till 4pm. We would like to limit it to Hokkaido's only. Our yard is decent size but 4 or 5 dogs running around going crazy is going to be a handful. We will also provide some food and refreshments :)

Let me know if you want to attend.

• Would you be available the weekend before that? Sounds like Whobitme won't be able to go the last weekend of October, but the 2nd to last should work for the most people I think...
  • I will not be able to attend/host the weekend of 10/21 as I already have a prior engagement.
  • How about the first weekend of November for everyone?
  • Would it make sense to also see if we can do some onleash walks/hikes? I know for Umma that goes a long ways towards her getting comfortable with another dog. Maybe just pick a time and place and whoever can come shows up? We could do a few of those, perhaps, leading up to a bigger thing?
  • edited September 2017
    That sounds like a good idea, does Sunday (October 8th) at forest park around 11am sound like something that would work for anybody?