Kouji's 1st Ever Dog Show!

It was both of our first shows, and Kouji did so well! I wasn't expecting anything but he won Best Puppy in Group and Best Puppy in Breed! He was a little tired because of the heat and amount of time we had to wait (Spitz + Primitive was the very last group to go - 3 whole hours of waiting) but I hope he had a good time.

We're going again tomorrow for 2 more shows, and I'll be better prepared this time. Sorry buddy!!

Show: Flamboro Valley July Classic (ABI Dog Shows)
Didn't catch the name of the judge :(

If anyone in Ontario wants to show their Nihon Ken, I really recommend this show! It's casual and first-time friendly, plus they use FCI standards and accept all the NH. :D They have day of show entries too!

Comments

• Congratulations!! Yeah, there's definitely a lot of waiting around at dog shows lol. Does he like water? If so, you can bring a spray bottle filled with ice water to periodically mist him with (and also spray in his mouth and on his paws to help keep him cool). Oh, and KONGs filled with frozen peanut butter are a great way to keep puppies entertained at shows as well :)
  • edited July 2017
    Congratulations!! Yeah, there's definitely a lot of waiting around at dog shows lol. Does he like water? If so, you can bring a spray bottle filled with ice water to periodically mist him with (and also spray in his mouth and on his paws to help keep him cool). Oh, and KONGs filled with frozen peanut butter are a great way to keep puppies entertained at shows as well :)
    I'll definitely be doing that next week! Do you know if the judges will mind if he's a little wet? Or should I spray his coat well before his group is called? I'm still new to showing so I'm still not sure whats acceptable in the ring or not.

And here are all 8 of this ribbons that he won over this weekend!
  • Looks like he had a fantastic weekend! I definitely wouldn't get him too wet before judging starts, but if you're ready to head in the ring and he's looking a little hot, spray some in his mouth and on his feet :)
  • Congratulations that is awesome for first time in the ring!
  • Congratulations that is awesome for first time in the ring!
    Thanks so much! It was both of our first time but thankfully he knew what he was doing more than I was lol.
  • We had another ABI show this weekend and Kouji took home Reserve Best Puppy in Show *AND* Best Puppy in Show!!!
  • Hey Kouji Chan

I'm interested in showing my JA too. Can you provide more information about this show?
  • @MapleTwinkie

Sure thing! This was an All Breeds International (ABI) show. They have a show once about a month, use FCI standards, and are good for beginners (which I absolutely was lol). You can find more info about them here: http://www.abidogshows.com/. They have a show next weekend actually if you're interested in seeing what's up with them!

I also show in UKC. I'm going to the Rockton show on the 16th. If you're interested it would be awesome to have another JA there! UKC is very welcoming to new people as well imo.

Let me know if you have any more questions or just want to meet up sometime! :D
  • Thanks Kouji Chan!
    I'm really interested in your pup. It's so cool there's another Japanese Akita in Ontario. Can I send you a pm and we can chat more? I'm definitely interested in shows.